Animals Australia Unleashed
Change the World Who Cares? Videos Take Action! The Animals Community Forum Shop Blog Display
1 2 3
Your E-Mail: O Password:
Login Help     |     Join for Free!     |     Hide This

Post a Reply

Pescetarians are NOT vegetarians!

1 - 10 of 98 posts   1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7  

meh meh NSW Posts: 2674
1 28 May 2011
I'm getting sooooo tired of pescetarians calling themselves vegetarians!

I've been working in a restaurant for the last month, and I try to be as helpful as possible, so whenever a vegetarian comes in I inform them of which meals has oyster sauce, etc.

This is an example of the conversation I've had with at least ten people this month:

customer: I'd like a vegetarian pad see eww
me: are you a vegetarian by chance?
customer: yes
me: would you like it without oyster sauce?
customer: no
me: (head explodes)

It's soooo easy for me to go to the chef and say 'no oyster sauce', I don't get why they don't go for that option when most waiters wouldn't even make the effort to ask their customers?

Sometimes I want to call them out on it, but then I seem like a bitchy waiter, lol!

Pegs Pegs VIC Posts: 1538
2 28 May 2011
Yes, that gets annoying.

There is a girl at my school who calls herself a vegetarian.
And when we tell her she is not a vegetarian, she says
"I am a vegetarian, I just eat chicken"
and we say "AND beef, and pork and fish"
"No, I don't eat pork"

It just gets a bit annoying.
ReplyQuote

Lars Lars NSW Posts: 825
3 28 May 2011
perhaps say "oh ok, the pad see ew isn't vegetarian but it can be made ithout oyster sauce"

but i get what you mean, i wonder why that distinguishing the difference always comes off bitchy, i guess people take offence to being wrong
ReplyQuote

4 28 May 2011
Lars said:
perhaps say "oh ok, the pad see ew isn't vegetarian but it can be made ithout oyster sauce"

but i get what you mean, i wonder why that distinguishing the difference always comes off bitchy, i guess people take offence to being wrong
I try to be as helpful as possible because in the past I used to eat there a lot and never knew that there was oyster sauce in EVERYTHING. I used to get the panang curry, but apparently all of the curries have oyster sauce in it already (it can't be removed). Customers tell me that they're veg, but then say they don't mind having oyster/fish sauce..... I just don't get that at all. I ALWAYS suggest having the sauce removed and then they just say that they don't care about the oyster sauce.....UGH!
ReplyQuote

..1 ..1 TAS Posts: 2265
5 28 May 2011
That annoys me so much. If you really want to be vegetarian, don't eat fish! And if you do eat fish, don't call yourself a vegetarian.

Maybe they don't think oysters are animals?
ReplyQuote

rottweiler rottweiler SA Posts: 1907
6 28 May 2011
Are oysters actually in oyster sauce ?Or is it flavour? cos i dont actually like oyster sauce- but i used to LOVE eating oysters. one of my favorite 'meats' ever, ive eaten them since iwas young. and my mum just assumed that they were fine to eat when i stopped eating meat- and she brought a dozen of them for me, and i didnt eat them D:
ReplyQuote

OinkMoo OinkMoo NSW Posts: 1340
7 28 May 2011
omg thats annoying >.<

ther are a few people i know who say " im veg, but i eat pork" .. umm remind me again how that is veg, oh wait its not tongue
ReplyQuote

Contreras Contreras NSW Posts: 349
8 28 May 2011
. said:
Are oysters actually in oyster sauce ?Or is it flavour? cos i dont actually like oyster sauce- but i used to LOVE eating oysters. one of my favorite 'meats' ever, ive eaten them since iwas young. and my mum just assumed that they were fine to eat when i stopped eating meat- and she brought a dozen of them for me, and i didnt eat them D:
Most oyster sauces are made from oyster except if it's an oyster mushroom sauce, if you see sauces saying vegetarian oyster sauce it's the one made from mushrooms(usually)
ReplyQuote

9 28 May 2011
It's definitely not vegetarian oyster sauce. One of my colleagues gets me to warn customers with allergies all the time.
ReplyQuote

Kaedee Kaedee QLD Posts: 54
10 28 May 2011
I wonder if they eat whole oysters, or just oyster sauce? If its only the sauce, they might consider themselves to be vegetarian, and cutting out the sauce to be a vegan thing?
ReplyQuote

< Prev
 [ 1 ]  [ 2 ]  [ 3 ]  [ 4 ]  [ 5 ]  [ 6 ]  [ 7 ] 

www.unleashed.org.au