Animals Australia Unleashed
Change the World Who Cares? Videos Take Action! The Animals Community Forum Shop Blog Display
1 2 3
Your E-Mail: O Password:
Login Help     |     Join for Free!     |     Hide This

Post a Reply

Mushrooms and B12

my mushroom bag stated they have B12 i was skeptical but!

1 - 7 of 7 posts

Compostkitty Compostkitty NSW Posts: 780
1 4 Jun 2011
after i read my mushroom bag i came home and looked for a non vegan website about mushrooms and B12 because i have herd a few things about it for and against.

i found this website
http://www.mushroomsforlife.net/

and in the FAQ sections it states this:
http://www.mushroomsforlife.net/faqs-s104/

Australian government laboratories tested the mushroom in 1987 and found that a serve of mushrooms provided about 10% of the daily needs of vitamin B12. Since then there has been speculation whether this was a correct level, or the right type, of B12.
To accurately establish the levels of B12 in mushrooms, scientists at the University of Western Sydney have checked mushroom samples from all the major mushroom growing centres around Australia in 2009.
There is a modest amount of B12 in mushrooms, closer to 5% of daily needs in a serve (three button mushrooms). It is the same type of B12 as found in meats and seafood, so it is the type of B12 that the body finds very easy to use.

So even though its not much really it still counts towards your B12.
So  what do you guys think? believable or skeptical?
ReplyQuote

Clud Clud VIC Posts: 1559
2 4 Jun 2011
I believe it but like what it says here it is a very small amount. Because if you look at the nutritional table of the mushroom bag you can also see it's very small.
ReplyQuote

Emilia Emilia WA Posts: 285
3 4 Jun 2011
The B12 is found on the skin of the mushrooms, because it absorbs it from the fertiliser they use (including cow dung!), which makes sense, seeing as it is a water soluble vitamin and it gets excreted readily.

There is no B12 in the mushroom itself.

I peel my mushrooms, so I wouldn't be getting any B12!
ReplyQuote

...2 ...2 WA Posts: 2307
4 4 Jun 2011
Emilia is spot on. The B12 is from dirt and fertiliser. tongue But hey, that's pretty similar to the source of B12 in meat.

^.^ Mushrooms + spirulina + Soy Milky Hi Fibre/Chocolate basically mean I have NO fears for my B12 intake.
ReplyQuote

Brendon Brendon NSW Posts: 1212
5 5 Jun 2011
They're right; it's from the animal poop!!!
However I still wouldn't trust it as a reliable source.
Take a B12 supplement or drink/eat fortified foods.

I'm addicted to B12 supplements. I probably take 10 000 mcg a day in sublingual form. Kind of like how some people are addicted to chewable vitamin C.
ReplyQuote

rottweiler rottweiler SA Posts: 1907
6 6 Jun 2011
BreadmanInAus said:

I'm addicted to B12 supplements. I probably take 10 000 mcg a day in sublingual form. Kind of like how some people are addicted to chewable vitamin C.
Mmmmm vitamin C
ReplyQuote

ckimana ckimana NSW Posts: 2545
7 6 Jun 2011
BreadmanInAus said:

Yep, I wouldn't rely on it either. I take Freeda B12. They taste great too!
http://crueltyfreeshop.com.au/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_11_37&products_id=436
ReplyQuote

Unleashed

This page was printed from Animals Australia Unleashed's website (www.unleashed.org.au).