Animals Australia Unleashed
Change the World Who Cares? Videos Take Action! The Animals Community Forum Shop Blog Display
1 2 3
Your E-Mail: O Password:
Login Help     |     Join for Free!     |     Hide This

Post a Reply

Am I a vegan or very strict vegetarian?

1 - 10 of 14 posts   1 | 2  

Mannie Mannie WA Posts: 9
1 5 Jun 2011
Just wondering what others think as I have been struggling with what I would actually be labelled?

I am trying to lead a Vegan lifesyle which I have chosen because of the conditions that animals have to suffer through to be put onto a plate!

I will not eat meat or dairy, and am steering clear of anything with animal products in it and all of the other things like that. I would however, eat eggs from chickens IF I owned and cared for them myself and knew that they led a natural life and that I was just eating what they were producing anyway.

Am I wrong to do this? Would any other 'vegans' do this? Do we all set our our own limits?
ReplyQuote

Beemo Beemo United States Posts: 1259
2 5 Jun 2011
You are not wrong to do this, though you would be classed as an ethical vegetarian rather than a vegan. The reason being is that veganism is not just about eliminating cruelty towards animals, it is also about proving that humans can live a happy and healthy life without the need of animal products.
ReplyQuote

Kirrilly Kirrilly VIC Posts: 2092
3 5 Jun 2011
If people ate eggs from their own chickens occasionally, I'd have no issue if they still called themselves vegan.  I know a few people on this forum would have a heart attack reading that and are currently warming up their fingers for four paragraphs on why that's wrong but I don't mind tongue I know technically it's not vegan, but the only time you really ever have to tell people you're vegan is when you're eating out or at other people's houses, and in those situations you ARE vegan.

Either way, don't get too hung up on labels happy Just do what you think is right and if that requires some explaining to people when they ask what you eat then so be it happy
ReplyQuote

Mean people wear fur Mean people wear fur QLD Posts: 1087
4 5 Jun 2011
You aren't wrong to do that (not in my opinion, anyway).
We've had discussions about Vegans consuming eggs from chickens that they care for before, and in the end I think it comes down to personal choice. I don't like eggs (I think they're quite gross to be honest) so I wouldn't do it, but I'm not against someone else doing it. It wouldn't technically be considered Vegan, but if you really wanted to call yourself something you could use "cruelty-free" as you are not contributing to cruelty and you're living a cruelty-free life. happy
ReplyQuote

JayT JayT VIC Posts: 525
5 5 Jun 2011
Mannie said:
Would any other 'vegans' do this?
No.
;D
ReplyQuote

JayT JayT VIC Posts: 525
6 5 Jun 2011
Damn double post! I hit quote instead of Edit, just ignore or if an Admin see's then delete.
ReplyQuote

Tracey Tracey QLD Posts: 127
7 5 Jun 2011
I don't like to get too hung up on labels either, but one point that can be made- as well as vegans living a healthy, happy life which is animal product free, is that having( loved and well cared for chickens) perpetrate the continuation of animals being brought into the world in a unnatural way (for humans to use) and does in many ways cause cruelty, for example- where do chickens come from? they are usually from farms/ breeders where male chicks are seen as a useless by-product. This is, I guess, a generalisation, and pretty much applies to all pets.

I dont want to be seen as mean here- just thought I'd give my honest opinion. Nobody is perfect and I think everyone should just live their lives causing as little harm to others and to animals as they can  peace
ReplyQuote

Kirrilly Kirrilly VIC Posts: 2092
8 5 Jun 2011
Tracey said:
I don't like to get too hung up on labels either, but one point that can be made- as well as vegans living a healthy, happy life which is animal product free, is that having( loved and well cared for chickens) perpetrate the continuation of animals being brought into the world in a unnatural way (for humans to use) and does in many ways cause cruelty, for example- where do chickens come from? they are usually from farms/ breeders where male chicks are seen as a useless by-product. This is, I guess, a generalisation, and pretty much applies to all pets.

I dont want to be seen as mean here- just thought I'd give my honest opinion. Nobody is perfect and I think everyone should just live their lives causing as little harm to others and to animals as they can  peace
Yes, that is a good point. I'd encourage people if they're in the position to look after chickens to seek out organisations that rescue battery hens.
ReplyQuote

..1 ..1 TAS Posts: 2265
9 5 Jun 2011
I don't think you're wrong to do it. And I can understand why you would do it. But as a vegan I would rather stay completely animal free.
If you did eat your chickens eggs then I do not think you would be vegan, rather a strict vegetarian.

Instead, you should give the eggs to someone who would usually buy their own eggs. Even free range eggs are cruel, so someone eating your eggs, from your happy chickens, would be better than someone eating eggs that have been bought, and come from a chicken in cruel conditions on a farm, who is inevitably doomed to die in a slaughter house.
ReplyQuote

Mannie Mannie WA Posts: 9
10 5 Jun 2011
All such great replies! Thanks Guys! I guess I just want to do as much as I can to make sure I am not supporting any practises that animals feel pain/suffering from. So my thinking was that I was Vegan, but when I got to thinking about the egg thing with your own chickens (which I don't actually have chickens, but if I did I would eat their eggs) I knew it is classed as animal product so some Vegans may take offence to this. I would hate to offend anybody's beliefs.
I do like the 'cruelty free' suggestion! That's definitely me!  clap
ReplyQuote

< Prev
 [ 1 ]  [ 2 ] 

www.unleashed.org.au