Animals Australia Unleashed
Change the World Who Cares? Videos Take Action! The Animals Community Forum Shop Blog Display
1 2 3
Your E-Mail: O Password:
Login Help     |     Join for Free!     |     Hide This

Post a Reply

Medicines and animal testing

1 - 10 of 18 posts   1 | 2  

a. a. VIC Posts: 82
1 11 Jun 2011
I cannot help but feel horrible about taking any medications, knowing full well that animals have suffered for the comfort of humans.

I have been told that many generic brand companies do not test on animals (I assume that this is because the product has already been tested in the original form- thus the generic option is not exactly "cruelty free" but somehow seems less cruel)

Has anybody else heard of this?

How do other vegans feel about taking medication??
ReplyQuote

psychokitten psychokitten QLD Posts: 340
2 11 Jun 2011
No one can be 100% vegan, this includes necessary medication.
It sucks but if there's no other way for me to get around it then I take it.
ReplyQuote

Lars Lars NSW Posts: 825
3 11 Jun 2011
I try and avoid taking medication at all. It would be a different story if there was medically something that needed to be fixed, I really beleive in the healing effects of food more than anything else.....if you fill an unleaded car with diesel it won't run right, but if you fill it with premuim unleaded then it should be pretty good! you should watch the doco Food Matters

Also... I want to add, since going vegan i've had no need to use any sort of medication due to being alot healthier, except for acne...But i'm just going to have to deal with that
ReplyQuote

Mazzakat Mazzakat SA Posts: 103
4 12 Jun 2011
I have to have my flu shot every year due to my asthma and diabetes even though it is derived from eggs.  I have had the flu and I can't risk getting it again.  The flu can be deadly for an asthmatic!
ReplyQuote

Emilia Emilia WA Posts: 285
5 12 Jun 2011
I'm a pharmacy student and I have learnt about this, so I may be able to answer your questions.

Whilst there shouldn't be any reason why generic medicines should be tested on animals, unfortunately they are.

Pharmaceutical companies need to prove that their generic medicine will have the same effects as the original. For example, they need to prove that the medication will reach the same blood concentrations and in the same time, and how it is excreted from the body.

For these studies, they usually use healthy human volunteers to do this. However, some medication is very toxic to the body, for example, cancer medications.

They can't test the drugs in cancer patients, because, when they are sick, the way the drug works can be different. They can't test it in healthy patients, because cancer medication CAN give you cancer! So, they have to do these tests in animals.

Yes, they HAVE to. If they do not, they can't be marketed as a generic medicine, because they can't prove it is like the original AND they can't market it as an original brand, because they have proven the efficacy. It is the LAW. sad
ReplyQuote

6 13 Jun 2011
Emilia said:
I'm a pharmacy student and I have learnt about this, so I may be able to answer your questions.

Whilst there shouldn't be any reason why generic medicines should be tested on animals, unfortunately they are.

Pharmaceutical companies need to prove that their generic medicine will have the same effects as the original. For example, they need to prove that the medication will reach the same blood concentrations and in the same time, and how it is excreted from the body.

For these studies, they usually use healthy human volunteers to do this. However, some medication is very toxic to the body, for example, cancer medications.

They can't test the drugs in cancer patients, because, when they are sick, the way the drug works can be different. They can't test it in healthy patients, because cancer medication CAN give you cancer! So, they have to do these tests in animals.

Yes, they HAVE to. If they do not, they can't be marketed as a generic medicine, because they can't prove it is like the original AND they can't market it as an original brand, because they have proven the efficacy. It is the LAW. sad
Thanks so much for shedding some light on this one. It is such a conflicting situation, it really is  heartbreaking that innocent creatures suffer for our health.
ReplyQuote

Emilia Emilia WA Posts: 285
7 14 Jun 2011
I know what you mean.

Also, what do you guys think about testing animal medications so other pets can live?

The same kinds of tests have to be done, including the lethality test.
ReplyQuote

Casper.s2 Casper.s2 SA Posts: 1640
8 14 Jun 2011
and I feel bad for humanimals taking medication_ for the comfort of psyclologists and the mentally disabled
ReplyQuote

9 14 Jun 2011
Emilia said:
I know what you mean.

Also, what do you guys think about testing animal medications so other pets can live?

The same kinds of tests have to be done, including the lethality test.
Thats a toughie! Because anyone who loves their own pet would go to great lengths to provide their pet with medication if they needed it. To be honest this one hasnt really struck me- but it will now. How do you view this one?
ReplyQuote

Val Val NSW Posts: 339
10 14 Jun 2011
I am in the EXACT same situation as you!!!

You've probably read my thread since I saw you comment but I still am suffering badly for this eczema problem I have....I have tried almost everything! But nothing has worked like my prescribtion cream. The last time I took it was last year so I have put up with this awful skin problem for months but it seems now I might almost have no choice sad

Although I still haven't seen a naturopath so maybe thats worth trying?

I hate the idea of buying anything for any reason that has been animal tested sad Its awful and I totally understand!

I also hardly take medication anyway, except once a month for my awful lady tummy pains....I get awful stomach cramps for days. But like I said other than that its nothing else....Even if I get sick I know it'll leave naturally or just a headache or whatever.... I guess it depends how serious it is.
ReplyQuote

< Prev
 [ 1 ]  [ 2 ] 

www.unleashed.org.au