Animals Australia Unleashed
Change the World Who Cares? Videos Take Action! The Animals Community Forum Shop Blog Display
1 2 3
Your E-Mail: O Password:
Login Help     |     Join for Free!     |     Hide This

Post a Reply

Straight Edge

1 - 10 of 257 posts   1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7  

Kick Kick VIC Posts: 540
1 20 Jun 2011
Personally, I consider veganism to encompass more than just animal issues. I believe that compassion for humanity and respect for your own body is also included in it and I think that’s why I hold such firm convictions surrounding alcohol and drug use. I am Straight Edge and have been 6 years now but I also think that that includes respect for others and concern for how they treat their own bodies.

For those playing along at home, the term ‘straight edge’ was coined by punk band Minor Threat and is the philosophy of respecting your body by not using alcohol & drugs. It can also include not engaging in promiscuous sex/sex before commitment and the exclusion of caffeine. The symbol ‘X’ is recognized as edge and it’s displayed proudly. ( I, myself have two Xs on my calves. Legs, not baby cows. wink ) Though, sometimes you see Xs on here and you wonder if kids are edge or just enjoy superfluous letters.. Anyway.

What are your thoughts on what veganism includes and/or being edge?

"..show your heart through your actions." - Casey Jones
ReplyQuote

Emilia Emilia WA Posts: 285
2 20 Jun 2011
That's interesting. I never knew that some Straight Edge people didn't drink coffee either.
ReplyQuote

Kick Kick VIC Posts: 540
3 20 Jun 2011
Emilia said:
That's interesting. I never knew that some Straight Edge people didn't drink coffee either.
Mm, it is technically a drug with body altering affects.
ReplyQuote

Emilia Emilia WA Posts: 285
4 20 Jun 2011
I'm aware, just didn't think of it like that.
ReplyQuote

psychokitten psychokitten QLD Posts: 340
5 20 Jun 2011
This is something I've been wondering about for a while now, I'm glad someone else thought to bring it up.

I think they really go hand in hand. Like you said, the respect and compassion we all have for animals should really either begin with ourselves or extend there at least.

And the excessive use of x's bothers me a tonne, do kids even know what they're for?
The way I see it, Straight Edge is for life. It's not a phase.

Also, since this is kind of about what Veganism includes, I don't understand why there is this constant debate about eggs in particular...
Uhh, eggs are an animal product. Chickens either suffer or are exploited for them. Eating them is NOT Vegan. Having healthy chooks that produce eggs and giving them away? Okay.
But ingesting or using animal products of any kind is NOT Vegan.

Either way, don't claim labels you're not entitled to, you make the rest of us look bad.
ReplyQuote

Mondayschild Mondayschild WA Posts: 1452
6 20 Jun 2011
I am accidentally edge. I fit all the criteria, but not because I tried, just because its the way I am. But you are right, it is sort of related to veganism for me, though I'd have trouble explaining the connection.
ReplyQuote

xMISSMONSTERx xMISSMONSTERx WA Posts: 2582
7 20 Jun 2011
Veganism and straightedge go hand in hand for me, they always have and always will. I think I'm doing a great job of showing people I meet that you don't need drugs to dance, or alcohol to 'mix' with people.

I've noticed on this forum the term isn't well received, you'd think on this forum with open minded intelligent people it would be more respected.

Nothing irks me more than the term 'ex edge' if you took on the term and went back to drinking and drugs you never were edge. Its a lifetime commitment, all or nothing
ReplyQuote

rottweiler rottweiler SA Posts: 1907
8 20 Jun 2011
I stopped drugs and alcohol before I stopped eating meat. It sorta just made sense. I thought 'while im cleansing my body, i might aswell stop eating meat too'
ReplyQuote

rottweiler rottweiler SA Posts: 1907
9 20 Jun 2011
Mondayschild said:
I am accidentally edge. I fit all the criteria, but not because I tried, just because its the way I am. But you are right, it is sort of related to veganism for me, though I'd have trouble explaining the connection.
I accidently am too. Ive never actually said out loud 'im straight edge' it just sort of happened..
ReplyQuote

Kirrilly Kirrilly VIC Posts: 2092
10 20 Jun 2011
I think it's cool, but I don't think straight edge and veganism necessarily go hand in hand. I think just because you indulge in certain things every now and then doesn't mean you don't respect your body.

I see veganism as not having control over other being's bodies. But I have control over mine and my body functions perfectly well despite the occasional bender. So I really don't think it's for me.

HOWEVER
My opinions have changed slightly since last time we had this discussion tongue I know that for some people, even a little of any certain substance is too much, either because their body can't handle it or because they might have a family history of addiction, which can make you more susceptible to it. I don't like the "purity" argument, because it suggests that the majority aren't "pure" and that is heading a little too far into religion for me to be comfortable with.

I still hate labels and I still hate the sense of superiority that some people have.
ReplyQuote

< Prev
 [ 1 ]  [ 2 ]  [ 3 ]  [ 4 ]  [ 5 ]  [ 6 ]  [ 7 ] 

www.unleashed.org.au