Animals Australia Unleashed
Change the World Who Cares? Videos Take Action! The Animals Community Forum Shop Blog Display
1 2 3
Your E-Mail: O Password:
Login Help     |     Join for Free!     |     Hide This

Post a Reply

Straight Edge

11 - 20 of 257 posts   1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7  

meh meh NSW Posts: 2674
11 20 Jun 2011
When I think of punk I think of the Sex Pistols, so...

EDIT: I don't really get the purity thing. You can still put shit in your body that isn't drug or alcohol related.
ReplyQuote

xAshlee xAshlee TAS Posts: 722
12 20 Jun 2011
i always put a .X at the end of messages to ppl.... but now it has a true meaning and as i use it so often its like a daily reminder for me. I dont drink or do drugs...and I wear a purity ring already.

But i drink heaps of caffiene :O ....... i bought it coz it was cheaper but i have like 6 cups max a day :/ but it gives me headaches. so ill switch back to decaf.

i think its important for people to try and be pure and virtuous .

i dont really like punk but ill look these guys up happy
ReplyQuote

lividlotus lividlotus NSW Posts: 301
13 20 Jun 2011
I have no qualms about giving a label specifically so it's easier to condense what being Straight Edge involves and it does make it a little easier in mentioning.
ReplyQuote

xMISSMONSTERx xMISSMONSTERx WA Posts: 2582
14 20 Jun 2011
lividlotus said:
I have no qualms about giving a label specifically so it's easier to condense what being Straight Edge involves and it does make it a little easier in mentioning.
People give veganism a label, it's really no different.
ReplyQuote

Aimee Aimee VIC Posts: 957
15 20 Jun 2011
Kirrilly said:
I think it's cool, but I don't think straight edge and veganism necessarily go hand in hand. I think just because you indulge in certain things every now and then doesn't mean you don't respect your body.

I see veganism as not having control over other being's bodies. But I have control over mine and my body functions perfectly well despite the occasional bender. So I really don't think it's for me.

HOWEVER
My opinions have changed slightly since last time we had this discussion tongue I know that for some people, even a little of any certain substance is too much, either because their body can't handle it or because they might have a family history of addiction, which can make you more susceptible to it. I don't like the "purity" argument, because it suggests that the majority aren't "pure" and that is heading a little too far into religion for me to be comfortable with.

I still hate labels and I still hate the sense of superiority that some people have.
I definitely agree with this. I don't think they go hand in hand either, especially because the most important thing to me about veganism is not eating animals and their by-products. This has no relation to being straight edge.
I have no problem with people being straight-edge though, just for the record. I actually think it's pretty great. However, the whole 'no sex before commitment' I find to be judgmental because everyone has different circumstances. I guess that's along the lines of the sense of superiority that Kirrilly mentioned. And also the religious aspect.

Also, people seem to pick an choose where they draw their own lines. Sugar, for example, is a drug. It gives you a high, then a crash. It affects your brain and your body. Why isn't sugar ruled out?
ReplyQuote

16 20 Jun 2011
Aimee said:
Also, people seem to pick an choose where they draw their own lines. Sugar, for example, is a drug. It gives you a high, then a crash. It affects your brain and your body. Why isn't sugar ruled out?
I think the simple answer would be your body uses sugar to function?
ReplyQuote

rottweiler rottweiler SA Posts: 1907
17 20 Jun 2011
Aimee said:
Kirrilly said:
I think it's cool, but I don't think straight edge and veganism necessarily go hand in hand. I think just because you indulge in certain things every now and then doesn't mean you don't respect your body.

I see veganism as not having control over other being's bodies. But I have control over mine and my body functions perfectly well despite the occasional bender. So I really don't think it's for me.

HOWEVER
My opinions have changed slightly since last time we had this discussion tongue I know that for some people, even a little of any certain substance is too much, either because their body can't handle it or because they might have a family history of addiction, which can make you more susceptible to it. I don't like the "purity" argument, because it suggests that the majority aren't "pure" and that is heading a little too far into religion for me to be comfortable with.

I still hate labels and I still hate the sense of superiority that some people have.
I definitely agree with this. I don't think they go hand in hand either, especially because the most important thing to me about veganism is not eating animals and their by-products. This has no relation to being straight edge.
I have no problem with people being straight-edge though, just for the record. I actually think it's pretty great. However, the whole 'no sex before commitment' I find to be judgmental because everyone has different circumstances. I guess that's along the lines of the sense of superiority that Kirrilly mentioned. And also the religious aspect.

I agree with you 100%
There's alot of stuff that should be put under drugs. I always just assumed it was 'illegal' drugs. I guess I havnt done illegal drugs or drank or smoked in a while. Ive never said to someone 'im straight edge' because I believe it's a commitment and I dont want to one night think, 'Oh shit, i could go a beer' And then people be like... Errr well, your a poser.. Or whatever, I dont wanna be put in a category of someone thinking I can't commit to something. I just dont think I could commit to NEVER having a drink in my entire life. Cos I used to enjoy just hanging out with my partner in bed and sharing a beer with him.. It was relaxing.. I sorta just stopped drinking, because I didn't know if i could control how much i drank because I always ended up in the police station- and im in alot of trouble at the moment for many things involving drinking, so I'd rather just not do it cos i can't trust myself lol
ReplyQuote

Aimee Aimee VIC Posts: 957
18 20 Jun 2011
xMISSMONSTERx said:
Aimee said:
I mean sugar cane and I'm mainly talking about like in sweets and desserts and other foods where you are deliberately adding sugar. Not just natural sugar such as in fruits. Sorry I should have been more clear.
ReplyQuote

meh meh NSW Posts: 2674
19 20 Jun 2011
xMISSMONSTERx said:
Aimee said:
And fat too, but an excess amount can be deadly.
ReplyQuote

20 20 Jun 2011
Aimee said:
xMISSMONSTERx said:
Aimee said:
so, people seem to pick an choose where they draw their own lines. Sugar, for example, is a drug. It gives you a high, then a crash. It affects your brain and your body. Why isn't sugar ruled out?
I would not just go out and have a one night stand with someone, I personally don't believe you have to wait till marriage or anything to have sex. You can have casual sex with people and not be promiscuous, so I guess that really depends on how you look at it.
When it comes to things like sugar or coffee, it still comes down to the individual. I will have a coffee every now and then, or an energy drink (for the record this is not something I will have every day, or even more than once a month because I don't think it's good for you at all) And I enjoy having a soft drink.
With every belief system or morals there will always be 'well where do you draw the line?'
I draw it at not drinking alcohol, smoking, or doing illicit substances. I don't go out and have sex with heaps of different people because that would be effecting my own personal morals.

I don't have an issue with people having a drink, but I've seen the statistics on alcohol related deaths and injuries and I would prefer to avoid it
Same with smoking - and people still do it ( I will never understand why)
And drugs.... well everyone has an opinion on this one.
Before someone says anything, if I needed morphine for surgery or something, I would take it. I don't see that as breaking my beliefs.

I also try and avoid trans fats etc in my diet just because it's not good for you.

I don't know about the sugar, I enjoy some every now and then (especially in my baked treats), just like people enjoy alcohol every now and then? haha, I think the comparison is a little crazy though..
ReplyQuote

[ 1 ]  [ 2 ]  [ 3 ]  [ 4 ]  [ 5 ]  [ 6 ]  [ 7 ] 

www.unleashed.org.au