Animals Australia Unleashed
Change the World Who Cares? Videos Take Action! The Animals Community Forum Shop Blog Display
1 2 3
Your E-Mail: O Password:
Login Help     |     Join for Free!     |     Hide This

Post a Reply

Straight Edge

251 - 257 of 257 posts   20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26  

Clud Clud VIC Posts: 1559
251 23 Jun 2012
lol straight edge
ReplyQuote

Bondi Tom Bondi Tom WA Posts: 79
252 24 Jun 2012
Anon said:
I just need to ask... if you don't smoke, don't do drugs but you have a drink once in a blue moon you are not considered straight edge? I just don't get why some variables are acceptable but some aren't. I went through this forum discussion and there were people mentioning how caffeine is a big no-no to some straight-edgers, but not to others and the same with sugar. I just don't get how someone can feel they have the moral authority to declare someone straight-edge or non straight-edge because they do or do not appeal to that person's particular ethical and moral standing.

Can anyone clarify the rules? Because it really seems like it is subjective, just like veganism, where there are militant vegans who shun other vegans because they might slip up, or they don't use vegan hair dye because of the price. I just don't understand why everyone tries so hard to make others feel inadequate or like they don't belong because they aren't meeting certain requirements that constitute a 'perfect' vegan or straight-edge-er. Shouldn't we instead be applauding the efforts of these people, rather than nit-picking? I think it's great that someone can go without alcohol, drugs and smoking, but it makes me feel rather inadequate that these people may judge me because I might have a sip of beer once every 6 months. I suppose it is the same predetermined ideals that people have when they find out you are vegan. They assume that you are or feel superior to them, and quite honestly that is the feeling I get from some straight-edge people on this forum; that you are better than me because you can abstain from things that I don't even really care about. If I have a sip of beer I don't care whether it's bad for me or not, I just want to try it because it's a new flavour or whatever, it doesn't mean I hate my body or I want to be impure.
Straight Edge is subjective, very much like Veganism.
I'm straight edge, but not because someone has labelled me so, more because I chose to "claim edge"
I've lived my life similar to yours for around 5 or 6 years prior to becoming straight edge. I used to drink maybe once a year, or taste someones drink if I felt like it. It was not until I was ready to commit completely to a drug and alcohol free lifestyle that i chose to call myself straight edge.
To me straight edge is a life long commitment, it's not something you drop in and out of. Also I still drink coffee, but i do not drink alcohol or take drugs, or am not involved in promiscuous sex. So I guess as you say above straight edge is up to personal interpretation.

Also in response to a previous comment by someone that straight edge music is rubbish:
Straight Edge became a movement really in the 70's and 80's and since then has been associated with the hardcore and punk scene. So I guess if you don't enjoy hardcore or punk music then you won't enjoy most straight edge bands. But to say all straight edge music is shitty when you don't particularly like any form of hardcore or punk is a bit strong. It's like someone who doesn't like classical saying that Tchaikovsky was rubbish.
ReplyQuote

253 24 Jun 2012
Also being straight edge and being vegan should be a personal thing. It doesn't mean that because I am vegan and straight edge that I should feel like I'm better than anyone. It just means I hold different values and live with different lifestyle choices.
ReplyQuote

Niekard Niekard SA Posts: 32
254 25 Jun 2012
Haha, the only reason this wouldn't work for me is that I'm a vegetarian for the animals, not for myself. Although, I drink about 3 times a year, have never touched drugs, and wouldn't smoke everrr. It's all more of a pride / moral thing for me though.
ReplyQuote

256 25 Jun 2012
Anon said:
Niekard said:
Haha, the only reason this wouldn't work for me is that I'm a vegetarian for the animals, not for myself. Although, I drink about 3 times a year, have never touched drugs, and wouldn't smoke everrr. It's all more of a pride / moral thing for me though.
I'm vegan for the animals too. I actually don't care about my own health. I didn't become vegan for health reasons, even if I have lost a bit of weight... that's just a bonus for being compassionate in my mind happy
I think you might have both taken my words the wrong way. I'm definitely vegan for the animals. But I made a personal choice to do that. I didn't do it because someone told me to do it, and I'm not doing it for anyone else or to be cool (a poser). I did it for myself and the animals of course.
ReplyQuote

Next >
 [ 20 ]  [ 21 ]  [ 22 ]  [ 23 ]  [ 24 ]  [ 25 ]  [ 26 ] 

www.unleashed.org.au