Animals Australia Unleashed
Change the World Who Cares? Videos Take Action! The Animals Community Forum Shop Blog Display
1 2 3
Your E-Mail: O Password:
Login Help     |     Join for Free!     |     Hide This

Post a Reply

Straight Edge

21 - 30 of 257 posts   1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7  

Kirrilly Kirrilly VIC Posts: 2092
21 20 Jun 2011
It's more the labels around the actual culture.. Have you ever heard anyone "claim veg"? It's like some elite club where you break a commandment, you're out. Not like the majority of veg/vegans I know who are quite welcoming and understanding. Anyway, that's just how it looks from the outside.
ReplyQuote

xMISSMONSTERx xMISSMONSTERx WA Posts: 2582
22 20 Jun 2011
Kirrilly said:
It's more the labels around the actual culture.. Have you ever heard anyone "claim veg"? It's like some elite club where you break a commandment, you're out. Not like the majority of veg/vegans I know who are quite welcoming and understanding. Anyway, that's just how it looks from the outside.
I don't understand this, I claimed vegan? I wear it proudly every day.
ReplyQuote

meh meh NSW Posts: 2674
23 20 Jun 2011
Kirrilly said:
Completely agree.
ReplyQuote

24 20 Jun 2011
xMISSMONSTERx said:
Kirrilly said:
As do I, but nobody uses that phrasing or says "If you break veg, you were never veg." If that was the culture, I just.. I couldn't.
ReplyQuote

xMISSMONSTERx xMISSMONSTERx WA Posts: 2582
25 20 Jun 2011
Kirrilly said:
xMISSMONSTERx said:
Kirrilly said:
As do I, but nobody uses that phrasing or says "If you break veg, you were never veg." If that was the culture, I just.. I couldn't.
I've heard people say that before about vegetarianism/veganism. It's all relative.
everyone here had a pretty good go when "sun" from masterchef was being called the 'ex' vegetarian.
Nobody likes having someone associated with their cause stop doing it and making it seem like a passing cool phase.
ReplyQuote

Kick Kick VIC Posts: 540
26 20 Jun 2011
I don't get how vegans of all people, are talking about how essentially its where you draw the line in a negative context. Irony? Also, the connection is quite clear to me. You cannot respect anyone or anything else without respecting yourself first and are you really respecting yourself when you're posting your binge drinking photos all over facebook? Its like if you firmly believed in veganism you wouldn't occasionally 'indulge' yourself at Maccas..

Come on people, eliminating the consumption of sugar? That just screams the carnist 'Well, you're not making a difference anyway!' to me.

But I certainly agree that if you ever "break" than you never truly were. You can't also be "accidentally" edge. That's like almost wanting and clinging to labels. Haha if you hadn't even heard the term before this don't go around telling people that you're edge!
ReplyQuote

rottweiler rottweiler SA Posts: 1907
27 20 Jun 2011
xMISSMONSTERx said:
Kirrilly said:
xMISSMONSTERx said:
Kirrilly said:
I've heard people say that before about vegetarianism/veganism. It's all relative.
everyone here had a pretty good go when "sun" from masterchef was being called the 'ex' vegetarian.
Nobody likes having someone associated with their cause stop doing it and making it seem like a passing cool phase.
I went out to dinner with friends I used to work with last night. One of them has been vegetarian for 3 years, one had been vegetarian for 6 months or so, and one was an omni.. When we ordered I got a vegan pizza, and my friend who had not eaten meat for 6 months- ordered chicken snitzel. And she was like "ive started eating chicken the last week, but im still not eating other meats. Im a chicken eating vegetarian" And my friend who has not eaten meat for 3 years, went ballistic and told her if she called herself vegetarian she'd slap her. Heaps awkward conversation o.O
ReplyQuote

rottweiler rottweiler SA Posts: 1907
28 20 Jun 2011
You can accidently be edge by, not one day saying "okay, im going to be straight edge" .. and just giving things up.. i stopped smoking, so along with that i stopped drinking.. i previously stopped doing drugs, so it was an accident that i stopped doing everything i used to.. it wasn't a concious decision that i said- not doing it. it just happened.. which is an accident
just like.. "ooh, im accidently pregnant" or "i was in a car accident"
... because you didnt INTENTIONALLY do it
ReplyQuote

Kick Kick VIC Posts: 540
29 20 Jun 2011
rottweiler said:
You can accidently be edge by, not one day saying "okay, im going to be straight edge" .. and just giving things up.. i stopped smoking, so along with that i stopped drinking.. i previously stopped doing drugs, so it was an accident that i stopped doing everything i used to.. it wasn't a concious decision that i said- not doing it. it just happened.. which is an accident
just like.. "ooh, im accidently pregnant" or "i was in a car accident"
... because you didnt INTENTIONALLY do it
No.. Its not really like that at all.
ReplyQuote

30 20 Jun 2011
Kick said:
I don't get how vegans of all people, are talking about how essentially its where you draw the line in a negative context. Irony? Also, there connection is quite clear to me. You cannot respect anyone or anything else without respecting yourself first and are you really respecting yourself when you're posting your binge drinking photos all over facebook? Its like if you firmly believed in veganism you wouldn't occasionally 'indulge' yourself at Maccas..

Come on people, eliminating the consumption of sugar? That just screams the carnist 'Well, you're not making a difference anyway!' to me.

But I certainly agree that if you ever "break" than you never truly were. You can't also be "accidentally" edge. That's like almost wanting and clinging to labels. Haha if you hadn't even heard the term before this don't go around telling people that you're edge!
This is sort of exhibit a. I've had this conversation so many times and people seem to imply with drugs or alcohol it's "too much or nothing". There is an in-between. Are you telling me you never have junk food or put your body into situations were it could be harmed or damaged, even a little?
ReplyQuote

[ 1 ]  [ 2 ]  [ 3 ]  [ 4 ]  [ 5 ]  [ 6 ]  [ 7 ] 

www.unleashed.org.au