Animals Australia Unleashed
Change the World Who Cares? Videos Take Action! The Animals Community Forum Shop Blog Display
1 2 3
Your E-Mail: O Password:
Login Help     |     Join for Free!     |     Hide This

Post a Reply

Straight Edge

41 - 50 of 257 posts   2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8  

Kick Kick VIC Posts: 540
41 20 Jun 2011
meh said:
Do you 'disown' people that have been drugged or raped? Being drugged; does that count as 'half-baked'?
At what point did rape and drugging come into this?
ReplyQuote

meh meh NSW Posts: 2674
42 20 Jun 2011
Kick said:
meh said:
Do you 'disown' people that have been drugged or raped? Being drugged; does that count as 'half-baked'?
You talk about 'all or nothing'. I was wondering if the elite nature of this organisation also extended to things like rape and drugging.
ReplyQuote

43 20 Jun 2011
meh said:
Kick said:
meh said:
You talk about 'all or nothing'. I was wondering if the elite nature of this organisation also extended to things like rape and drugging.
rolleyes Yeah, because the 'membership' cannot be renewed if you've experienced that as you obviously actively took part in it.
ReplyQuote

xMISSMONSTERx xMISSMONSTERx WA Posts: 2582
44 20 Jun 2011
meh said:
Kick said:
meh said:
... what a joke.

I find it really offensive when people make out straight edge to be some kind of cult craze elitist group. Yes sure some members are, just like some vegans are militant or some religious folk are extremist.
Some of the people I go out with regularly don't even have any idea that I'm straight edge. It's a personal value and although I am proud of it I don't feel the need to flaunt it and introduce people to me saying that I'm straight edge.
They are morals I hold close much like my Veganism, and I really don't think they are values which should be dismissed.
ReplyQuote

Compostkitty Compostkitty NSW Posts: 780
45 20 Jun 2011
i think straight edge is a great thing.
this conversation really does remind me of omni vs vegan though.
yes you may not agree with all the "rules" of straight edge but why pick at it.

To me it reads but why don't you eat honey bees are insects?
or why don't you use products that use insects?
its people picking on small things that really don't need to be picked out.

People who are straight edge should and are allowed to be proud of how they live,
it would hard to be straight edge in this age when binge drinking smoking and taking drugs are consider the normal thing to do.
ReplyQuote

46 20 Jun 2011
xMISSMONSTERx said:
meh said:
Kick said:
meh said:
... what a joke.

I find it really offensive when people make out straight edge to be some kind of cult craze elitist group. Yes sure some members are, just like some vegans are militant or some religious folk are extremist.
Some of the people I go out with regularly don't even have any idea that I'm straight edge. It's a personal value and although I am proud of it I don't feel the need to flaunt it and introduce people to me saying that I'm straight edge.
They are morals I hold close much like my Veganism, and I really don't think they are values which should be dismissed.
Culturally speaking, it isn't a joke when this happens all the time all over the world.
ReplyQuote

xMISSMONSTERx xMISSMONSTERx WA Posts: 2582
47 20 Jun 2011
meh said:
xMISSMONSTERx said:
meh said:
Kick said:
meh said:
... what a joke.

Culturally speaking, it isn't a joke when this happens all the time all over the world.
You just insinuated straight edgers would shun someone who was drugged and raped. How is that not a completely insulting joke? I'm not even going to take part in this topic any more you aren't seriously critiquing it at all.
ReplyQuote

Aimee Aimee VIC Posts: 957
48 20 Jun 2011
Kick said:
I don't get how vegans of all people, are talking about how essentially its where you draw the line in a negative context. Irony? Also, the connection is quite clear to me. You cannot respect anyone or anything else without respecting yourself first and are you really respecting yourself when you're posting your binge drinking photos all over facebook? Its like if you firmly believed in veganism you wouldn't occasionally 'indulge' yourself at Maccas..

Come on people, eliminating the consumption of sugar? That just screams the carnist 'Well, you're not making a difference anyway!' to me.

But I certainly agree that if you ever "break" than you never truly were. You can't also be "accidentally" edge. That's like almost wanting and clinging to labels. Haha if you hadn't even heard the term before this don't go around telling people that you're edge!
I don't understand why whenever I ask a question I am treated like I'm attacking. I  certainly wasn't coming across that way. sad
I legitimately don't understand why SE don't eliminate cane sugar. I'm not discounting that cutting out the rest is doing great things, but sugar is a mind/body altering drug, and it's bad for you. Am I not allowed to speak freely?
And who are you referring to with the binge drinking photos?

We're all friends here....
ReplyQuote

49 20 Jun 2011
meh said:
Sadly yes, but the connection between this and straight edge is lost on me though. How is it relevant and not just sensationalizing?
ReplyQuote

50 20 Jun 2011
xMISSMONSTERx said:
meh said:
xMISSMONSTERx said:
meh said:
Kick said:
meh said:
... what a joke.

You just insinuated straight edgers would shun someone who was drugged and raped. How is that not a completely insulting joke? I'm not even going to take part in this topic any more you aren't seriously critiquing it at all.
I'm talking about the elite nature of the 'straight edge' culture. It seems like a religion almost, and this happens all over the world. Women are removed from their homes for being raped, they are rejected by their future husbands for not being a virgin. All I'm saying is that when a group becomes so strict in their rules, that not anyone can join, it can get hairy, like you said there are some extremist, militant types.

In ref to Kick's comments, I'm sorry about the sensationalising, this talk of straight edge people made me think about it.
ReplyQuote

[ 2 ]  [ 3 ]  [ 4 ]  [ 5 ]  [ 6 ]  [ 7 ]  [ 8 ] 

www.unleashed.org.au