Animals Australia Unleashed
Change the World Who Cares? Videos Take Action! The Animals Community Forum Shop Blog Display
1 2 3
Your E-Mail: O Password:
Login Help     |     Join for Free!     |     Hide This

Post a Reply

Straight Edge

51 - 60 of 257 posts   3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9  

Compostkitty Compostkitty NSW Posts: 780
51 20 Jun 2011
meh said:
Do you 'disown' people that have been drugged or raped? Being drugged; does that count as 'half-baked'?
i really think that comment is uncalled for
ReplyQuote

meh meh NSW Posts: 2674
52 20 Jun 2011
Compostkitty said:
meh said:
Do you 'disown' people that have been drugged or raped? Being drugged; does that count as 'half-baked'?
Sorry but the discussion prompted me to think of this.
ReplyQuote

Tanyaka Tanyaka VIC Posts: 1219
53 20 Jun 2011
When I was younger my online name used to have X's in it.. just coz the name would be taken and it looks nice. I didn't even know what straight edge was until this forum, this year.

X_Tanya_X .. hmmmm tongue

I am not straight edge.. I hold not eating meat very highly and would never induge in a piece of steak but although I drink maybe once a year, never ever smoked and never will, and same with drugs. Never. I wouldn't label myself edge because I like to know that if someone is toasting at a wedding, I could have some champagne for the celebration.

Saying that, I don't like much alcohol, so if I stopped drinking all together does that make me edge, or do you need to acknowledge it to fall under the labell?
ReplyQuote

Compostkitty Compostkitty NSW Posts: 780
54 20 Jun 2011
meh said:
Compostkitty said:
meh said:
i really don't blame anyone for getting insulted by the comment.
i know a lot of straight edge people and i know for a fact that they would support anyone that would have that happen.
just because you see it as "extreme" to bring in an unfortunate event that happens so frequently and compare it to someone who chooses to live straight edge really doesn't make sense.
i can usually understand both sides of most conversations but this stumped me completely.
and i am sorry if i sound harsh there but i just dont see how it can compare is all.
ReplyQuote

rottweiler rottweiler SA Posts: 1907
55 20 Jun 2011
xMISSMONSTERx said:
meh said:
Kick said:
meh said:
At what point did rape and drugging come into this?
You talk about 'all or nothing'. I was wondering if the elite nature of this organisation also extended to things like rape and drugging.
... what a joke.

I find it really offensive when people make out straight edge to be some kind of cult craze elitist group. Yes sure some members are, just like some vegans are militant or some religious folk are extremist.
Some of the people I go out with regularly don't even have any idea that I'm straight edge. It's a personal value and although I am proud of it I don't feel the need to flaunt it and introduce people to me saying that I'm straight edge.
They are morals I hold close much like my Veganism, and I really don't think they are values which should be dismissed.
some 'members' are.. I didn't realise is was a group :S That's what makes it sound like a cult lol
ReplyQuote

meh meh NSW Posts: 2674
56 20 Jun 2011
Compostkitty said:
meh said:
Compostkitty said:
meh said:
i really don't blame anyone for getting insulted by the comment.
i know a lot of straight edge people and i know for a fact that they would support anyone that would have that happen.
just because you see it as "extreme" to bring in an unfortunate event that happens so frequently and compare it to someone who chooses to live straight edge really doesn't make sense.
i can usually understand both sides of most conversations but this stumped me completely.
and i am sorry if i sound harsh there but i just dont see how it can compare is all.
And I'm talking about Straight Edge as a culture or religion, that's why I made that connection.
ReplyQuote

Aimee Aimee VIC Posts: 957
57 20 Jun 2011
Still no one has answered by question about sugar-  I have only been insulted for asking it.
Really curious!
ReplyQuote

rottweiler rottweiler SA Posts: 1907
58 20 Jun 2011
Aimee said:
Still no one has answered by question about sugar-  I have only been insulted for asking it.
Really curious!
Yeah i dont know why you should be insulted. I have no idea what the deal is with that. But ive always thought  about it with coffee, high sugar foods, and everything that's bad for you, because essentially straight edge is about purity and being 'cleansed' of bad things and what not. There's more bad things than drugs and alcohol. There's more addictive things that drugs and alcohol, so I think it's a loose term. Anyone can be straight edge, because all 'straight edgers' just make up their own version of it. There's no set rule, there's no wrong or right answer. It's just what everyone interprets it to be
ReplyQuote

Jesse Jesse VIC Posts: 1117
59 20 Jun 2011
Unleashed Admin
meh said:
I assume this was in reference to this:

Kick said:
But I certainly agree that if you ever "break" than you never truly were.
If you wanted to explore the implications of someone being forced to break straight edge principles, surely there could have been a more tactful way to put the question.
ReplyQuote

Kirrilly Kirrilly VIC Posts: 2092
60 20 Jun 2011
Also what's the deal with things like red wine in spaghetti sauce? Not trying to "trip" anyone up, curious.
ReplyQuote

[ 3 ]  [ 4 ]  [ 5 ]  [ 6 ]  [ 7 ]  [ 8 ]  [ 9 ] 

www.unleashed.org.au