Animals Australia Unleashed
Change the World Who Cares? Videos Take Action! The Animals Community Forum Shop Blog Display
1 2 3
Your E-Mail: O Password:
Login Help     |     Join for Free!     |     Hide This

Post a Reply

Straight Edge

61 - 70 of 257 posts   4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10  


Kick Kick VIC Posts: 540
61 20 Jun 2011
Kirrilly said:
Also what's the deal with things like red wine in spaghetti sauce? Not trying to "trip" anyone up, curious.
Personally, I wouldn't use it but then I also consciously try not to consume any animal derivatives in the form of emulsifiers etc. But in terms of the red wine in spaghetti sauce I see it more of as it being unnecessary more than anything else so I'd opt for an alternative. Others wouldn't have an issue with it, but again that's just like how some vegans don't check emulsifiers or they use animal tested/containing products because its was free/someone else's etc etc.

Aaron said:
It's not acceptable to call things "gay" any-more. So I dont know what to call straight edge.
Excuse me?
ReplyQuote

Jesse Jesse VIC Posts: 1117
62 20 Jun 2011
Unleashed Admin
Kick said:
Aaron said:
It's not acceptable to call things "gay" any-more. So I dont know what to call straight edge.
Excuse me?
Yes, this just seems like baiting. You'll see I've deleted the original post. Aaron, please play nice innocent
ReplyQuote

rottweiler rottweiler SA Posts: 1907
63 20 Jun 2011
Jesse said:
Kick said:
Aaron said:
It's not acceptable to call things "gay" any-more. So I dont know what to call straight edge.
Excuse me?
Yes, this just seems like baiting. You'll see I've deleted the original post. Aaron, please play nice innocent
I took it as a joke :S Because of the straight / gay words in the sentence. I didn't take that in an insulting way at alllll. Maybe it just came across wrong :S Or maybe, i took it wrong..
ReplyQuote

Kirrilly Kirrilly VIC Posts: 2092
64 20 Jun 2011
That's fair enough. I don't really check emulsifiers. But I do put red wine in anything that it would not ruin tongue Red wine in casserole =  ecstatic
ReplyQuote

xMISSMONSTERx xMISSMONSTERx WA Posts: 2582
65 20 Jun 2011
Kirrilly said:
Also what's the deal with things like red wine in spaghetti sauce? Not trying to "trip" anyone up, curious.
alcohol boils at about 75C, water boils at 100, so any alcohol is cooked out before all the water boils out when it comes to sauces.
ReplyQuote

Kick Kick VIC Posts: 540
66 20 Jun 2011
rottweiler said:
I took it as a joke :S Because of the straight / gay words in the sentence. I didn't take that in an insulting way at alllll. Maybe it just came across wrong :S Or maybe, i took it wrong..
'Gay' had a negative connotation, which is certainly not something to be laughing at. I don't think anyone else, heterosexual, homosexual or otherwise found it particularly hilarious.

Anyway it is gone now.
ReplyQuote

z1 z1 VIC Posts: 535
67 20 Jun 2011
haha,  yes i thought some people would freak out over that.

but seriously, I love music, any any musician worth a grain of salt has taken drugs at some point. Even the greatest jazz masters. Particularly the greatest jazz masters. Straight edge bands are the biggest posers in the world with the worst music. I know some might seem cool now but give it 5 years and you'll be laughing as much as we laugh about the 80's now.
ReplyQuote

Kirrilly Kirrilly VIC Posts: 2092
68 20 Jun 2011
xMISSMONSTERx said:
Kirrilly said:
Also what's the deal with things like red wine in spaghetti sauce? Not trying to "trip" anyone up, curious.
alcohol boils at about 75C, water boils at 100, so any alcohol is cooked out before all the water boils out when it comes to sauces.
Ah, okay.
ReplyQuote

xMISSMONSTERx xMISSMONSTERx WA Posts: 2582
69 20 Jun 2011
Aaron said:
haha,  yes i thought some people would freak out over that.

but seriously, I love music, any any musician worth a grain of salt has taken drugs at some point. Even the greatest jazz masters. Particularly the greatest jazz masters. Straight edge bands are the biggest posers in the world with the worst music. I know some might seem cool now but give it 5 years and you'll be laughing as much as we laugh about the 80's now.
I think it's a bit stupid to listen to a band purely because they have the same moral stance as you.
I definitely don't exclusively listen to edge bands, I don't think I could even name 5 I remotely enjoy.
ReplyQuote

meh meh NSW Posts: 2674
70 20 Jun 2011
Jesse said:
meh said:
Do you 'disown' people that have been drugged or raped? Being drugged; does that count as 'half-baked'?
I assume this was in reference to this:

Kick said:
But I certainly agree that if you ever "break" than you never truly were.
If you wanted to explore the implications of someone being forced to break straight edge principles, surely there could have been a more tactful way to put the question.
That's not exactly where I was going with it. It's probably best I jump ship despite my best efforts to explain my point.

EDIT: People are misinterpreting what I am saying, and apparently I cannot articulate my point well enough. For the record I did not say that straight edge people "'disown' people that have been drugged or raped", I was making a point about straight edge as a culture and, to reiterate, that it is an elitist culture which can LEAD to those negative, militant ideals. I asked the question "Do you 'disown' people that have been drugged or raped?" because I was making that point that the straight edge culture is comparable to a cult or religion. In SOME religions people can be disowned for anything; they are SO elitist that they will do anything to preserve their good name. In short, the idea that straight edge is only for a select few people, and once they break a rule they are out and forgotten, is reminiscent of a religion or cult. I brought up the point about disowning people to draw that comparison to your minds also, but apparently I failed.

I imagine this will again be misinterpreted.
ReplyQuote

 [ 4 ]  [ 5 ]  [ 6 ]  [ 7 ]  [ 8 ]  [ 9 ]  [ 10 ] 

www.unleashed.org.au