Animals Australia Unleashed
Change the World Who Cares? Videos Take Action! The Animals Community Forum Shop Blog Display
1 2 3
Your E-Mail: O Password:
Login Help     |     Join for Free!     |     Hide This

Post a Reply

Melbourne Aquarium...

Thoughts? Cruel or necessary?

1 - 8 of 8 posts

Charlie Charlie VIC Posts: 23
1 22 Jun 2011
This week my school is doing a thing called Urban Week where you explore the city and part of the work we must complete is an article. This article can be about anything we did on Urban Week and I was going to write about the homeless but then today we visited the Aquarium on and I found it to be quite disturbing...

There were some animals that were kept in the tiniest cages. For example there was a python that that was in a cage with basically 1 branch in it and that was all. The jellyfish were in cages just bigger than themselves as well. The most confronting though was the penguins! There was heaps on them in the enclosure but they looked incredibly sad and the guide informed us that Henry an Emperor Penguin was depressed. ashamed

I would just like to know everyones opinions on the issue. Should I write an opinion piece

Also, the best article in my year that is written will be published in the Age. (Good oportunity for animal rights topic)  happy
ReplyQuote

Charlie Charlie VIC Posts: 23
2 22 Jun 2011
Sorry I didn't realise I posted that twice!! haha
Sorry!
ReplyQuote

OZZY. OZZY. VIC Posts: 4
3 22 Jun 2011
Hi Charlie!
Speaking of Melbourne Aquarium cruelty, did you know they sell shark teeth necklaces there? For a place that claims to be invested in sustainable ocean practices profiting off the death of sharks seems insane!
ReplyQuote

JayT JayT VIC Posts: 525
4 22 Jun 2011
An Aquarium is like a Zoo, it's a prison for animals to entertain humans.
So completely unnecessary.
ReplyQuote

Squaawk  -  The Voice Squaawk - The Voice Ethiopia Posts: 118
5 22 Jun 2011
I actually did work experience there.. in the penguin section and yeah i agree the enclosures are way too small
ReplyQuote

Pegs Pegs VIC Posts: 1538
6 22 Jun 2011
OZZY. said:
Hi Charlie!
Speaking of Melbourne Aquarium cruelty, did you know they sell shark teeth necklaces there? For a place that claims to be invested in sustainable ocean practices profiting off the death of sharks seems insane!
Are you sure they are real? Or just plastic? I really hope they are plastic!

I think the Aquarium is an amazing place for…fish. NOT penguins, not snakes. Its an aquarium for goodness sake. Gee, imagine the changes I would make if I was a billionare…
ReplyQuote

Pegs Pegs VIC Posts: 1538
7 22 Jun 2011
But I think its also good, because it educates people on the beautiful wildlife they are killing, and to stop. They just have to keep them in proper enclosures, and some of the enclosures are amazing. I actually went behind the scenes as a keeper, and its just…woah.

Like keeping a dog, you can keep them in a smaller space, but you have to try and keep them busy, and occupied, and if you can, mimic their environment, like the aquarium has done
ReplyQuote

Andrewxxx Andrewxxx VIC Posts: 272
8 22 Jun 2011
I went there in school. It was very interesting but yeah the enclosures were pretty average.

I think that point about zoos educating people is a good one though. I don't know about the aquarium but zoos also run important breeding programs. Healesville breeds Helmeted Honeyeaters and Orange Bellied Parrots and there's only 100 HHs and 50 OBPs in the wild so things like that are literally a necessity and they obviously have to make money to do that. Zoos also have the best hospital facilities for wildlife. So where do you draw the line? My idea of an acceptable zoo would never bring in the tourist dollars they need to do those other things.

I'm definitely not trying to defend the way zoos keep animals. I think it's terrible, but I also think it's not just black and white and that they should all be shut down.

Also Jane Goodall was on 774 the other day and made the interesting point that when we think of wild animals we think of freedom and how great there lives are, we don't think of the harsh realities of their survival as well as things like poaching. She's a vegetarian too so she obviously cares about animal welfare, otherwise I probably would've disregarded that opinion. I'd still rather them be in the wild to be honest but it is something extra to think about.

Not entirely relevant to the aquarium but I hope that helps. And yeah you should definitely write an opinion piece on it!
ReplyQuote

www.unleashed.org.au