Animals Australia Unleashed
Change the World Who Cares? Videos Take Action! The Animals Community Forum Shop Blog Display
1 2 3
Your E-Mail: O Password:
Login Help     |     Join for Free!     |     Hide This

Post a Reply

Cooking non-vegan things for others

Does it ever really bother you guys?

1 - 10 of 14 posts   1 | 2  

Hayley. J Hayley. J VIC Posts: 143
1 4 Jul 2011
It never used to bother me, but I kind of despise it more and more every day. In a way I almost feel like I'm 'condoning' the consumption and production of non-vegan foods by making it for others. I'm more than happy to make vegan versions of food for other people and my family but it kind of annoys me making non-vegan foods when I know they could easily be vegan versions.
I don't know, maybe I'm just overreacting. How do you guys feel about making non-vegan foods?
ReplyQuote

Mykool Mykool QLD Posts: 8
2 4 Jul 2011
What kind of foods are you talking about? I live with 3 omni girls and whenever I cook it's kind of given that it's going to be vegan, and they are always interested to see what it's like. I think that iIf someone wants something with animal products in it they can cook it themselves. Beggars can't be choosers, as the saying goes. happy
ReplyQuote

3 4 Jul 2011
Oh, when I say cooking things for them, it's not all that often, but every now and then my mum might ask me to make a cameral slice or a cake or something like that, either for our family or for work or whatever. Also, I tend to make lunch or breakfast for my sister if I'm already there, making my own- and she tends to be very close-minded with vegan foods.
But yeah, certainly for the most part, the bulk of the dinners are vegan automatically! Which is always good haha
ReplyQuote

Mykool Mykool QLD Posts: 8
4 4 Jul 2011
Have you ever considered making the food vegan and not letting anyone know? i.e. feeding everyone vegan cake? Or is this something you aren't able to do with the resources you have at the moment?
ReplyQuote

...2 ...2 WA Posts: 2307
5 4 Jul 2011
Personally I refuse to cook non-vegan things for my friends and family. This is never really a problem for me though- they love the vegan things I cook, especially the deserts. Have you tried cooking vegan food for them? I find baked goods like muffins, and in particular brownies, are a good way to get people accustomed to the idea of eating vegan versions of food.
ReplyQuote

ShadowDoubt ShadowDoubt QLD Posts: 753
6 4 Jul 2011
Hahaha, tonight I was cooking on the stove and my father was cooking up some chicken for my dog as well, and he goes 'Grace, could you please stir the chicken for me?' I said no, I'm not stiring the bird. Hahaha wink
I would never cook meat, ew.
ReplyQuote

nev nev WA Posts: 51
7 5 Jul 2011
Mykool said:
Have you ever considered making the food vegan and not letting anyone know? i.e. feeding everyone vegan cake?
^ top notch.

I would definitely try to suggest to the grocery shopper of your household (most likely your mum) that from now on you prefer to only cook vegan. I'm sure they'll understand, and you may be even able to influence them or other members of your family!

I think you can do it!
ReplyQuote

8 5 Jul 2011
haha thanks very much for your inputs- I think I will do that from now on wink
Well yeah, usually the ingredients will have already been bought or we'll use some non-vegan ones we have at home but I'll just start cooking only vegan things, I think. There's no reason they need to be non-vegan at all! My mum even says she wanted to go vegan so she shouldn't have reason for complaint! haha
ReplyQuote

...2 ...2 WA Posts: 2307
9 5 Jul 2011
Hayley. J said:
There's no reason they need to be non-vegan at all! My mum even says she wanted to go vegan so she shouldn't have reason for complaint! haha
Firstly: exactly! Omnis can eat everything in vegan food. There's nothing there that will kill them or be displeasing to the palate.

Secondly: your mum wants to go vegan? That's AWESOME. ^.^
ReplyQuote

10 5 Jul 2011
Vegetivorous said:
Hayley. J said:
There's no reason they need to be non-vegan at all! My mum even says she wanted to go vegan so she shouldn't have reason for complaint! haha
Firstly: exactly! Omnis can eat everything in vegan food. There's nothing there that will kill them or be displeasing to the palate.

Secondly: your mum wants to go vegan? That's AWESOME. ^.^
I know! Hopefully she will become more and more vegan every day haha, we've already stopped buying cow's milk completely, and i do try to influence the majority of what we do buy xD
ReplyQuote

< Prev
 [ 1 ]  [ 2 ] 

www.unleashed.org.au