Animals Australia Unleashed
Change the World Who Cares? Videos Take Action! The Animals Community Forum Shop Blog Display
1 2 3
Your E-Mail: O Password:
Login Help     |     Join for Free!     |     Hide This

Post a Reply

Indian Myna bird eradication program

1 - 10 of 33 posts   1 | 2 | 3 | 4  

Chewie Chewie NSW Posts: 521
1 23 Jul 2011
It came to my attention today that my local council has been conducting an eradication program for Indian Myna birds. As well as the council setting up traps, residents are also being encouraged BY THE COUNCIL to make their own traps and euthanise the birds themselves ('humanely'  by breaking their necks is an option the council have provided, and are allowing/encouraging ordinary residents to do this without any RSPCA or veterinary supervision).

Quite frankly, I'm very disgusted by this. Even my non veg partner thinks it is wrong, as it's not the fault of the birds that they were an introduced species. I know they're considered a pest, because they 'pose problems to our native birds', but there are several native birds who are 'pest-like'  in this exact same manner. Furthermore, I don't believe that because the bird isn't native to Australia, it deserves to die - a bird is a bird, and a life is a life in my opinion. And regardless, ordinary residents with no training should NOT be euthanising these birds!!

Thoughts? There are a number of councils and groups across Australia doing and encouraging this and it would be good if those of us who disagree could inform them of our disgust. Power in numbers!
ReplyQuote

rottweiler rottweiler SA Posts: 1907
2 23 Jul 2011
I agree 110% with what you say. I hate when people use 'its not native' as an excuse to kill things. As you said, and as I say sooo often.. It's not the animals fault it's introduced, they're just living their life how they know.. They don't know that they don't 'belong' in Australia..
ReplyQuote

Lars Lars NSW Posts: 825
3 23 Jul 2011
Getting people to euthanise them themselves isn't very responsible and likely to be inhumane.

They need to be rid of, it'd be good if you could give mynas a virus something that renders them sterile (that couldn't be passed on to other birds).

the above comment "a life is a life" makes me curious on how you'd feel about cane toads as well? those are pretty bad, some of these pests can't live in harmony with other animals and are over running our natives, I'm voting for keeping the natives alive
ReplyQuote

4 23 Jul 2011
Lars said:
Getting people to euthanise them themselves isn't very responsible and likely to be inhumane.

They need to be rid of, it'd be good if you could give mynas a virus something that renders them sterile (that couldn't be passed on to other birds).

the above comment "a life is a life" makes me curious on how you'd feel about cane toads as well? those are pretty bad
I dont think just because cane toads are bad and cause whatever damage, means they need to be killed. I know everyone says this, but people cause more damage to this earth than any 'pest' .. Or all .. It's not the toads fault at all, that's just them.. It's the peoples fault that spread the toads around, they should be 'humanely' euthanised.
ReplyQuote

5 23 Jul 2011
I don't really know much about cane toads to have an opinion, but I just don't see any particular problem with myna birds. I know they can bother native birds, but other native birds are also 'pests'  in that sense too. I don't think they should be killed for acting in similar manners that other birds do (which is deemed acceptable because they're native), because they're not native to Australia.

That, and humans are the biggest poisonous pests to this planet and to other species - more so than all the millions of animal 'pests' combined. That doesn't mean we should be killed.

I mainly have a problem with the way they're encouraging residents without training to kill, kill, kill.

Making them sterile would be the best way to go about it, I agree there, but I'd doubt that sort of method would ever be possible.
ReplyQuote

6 23 Jul 2011
what if it meant that a vital species that is needed to keep the environment in check and in balance was rendered extinct? such as Bees? Would you extend your compassion to insects that destroy crops and cause famines?

While I love animals immensely and don't want them harmed, if they need to be humanly euthanized in order let native species flourish and not cause damage to the environment, then i'm all for it. I hold people more important animals... i'd like the earth to be in great condition for my grand-grandchildren to enjoy.
ReplyQuote

7 23 Jul 2011
I totally agree, I want the earth to be in good condition until the end of time- But it just won't happen.. The earth is going to rot over and just fall apart, it's just a matter of when..
I dont think we have to worry about bee's ever going extinct though
ReplyQuote

8 23 Jul 2011
have you heard of CCD Colony Collapse Dissorder? Apparantly pesticides have made them more susseptable to disease and fungas, killing them off, it's pretty bad, I remember hearing about it not long ago... I think NZ was having it pretty bad..
ReplyQuote

9 23 Jul 2011
... I have no idea what that is :S
ReplyQuote

10 23 Jul 2011
rottweiler said:
I totally agree, I want the earth to be in good condition until the end of time- But it just won't happen.. The earth is going to rot over and just fall apart, it's just a matter of when..
Exactly, and the thing that's going to make the earth in falling apart is the human race. Myna birds, from what I understand, don't have that sort of effect on the environment or on vital endangered species so I don't think any sort of hypothetical situation regarding that is applicable.
ReplyQuote

< Prev
 [ 1 ]  [ 2 ]  [ 3 ]  [ 4 ] 

www.unleashed.org.au