Animals Australia Unleashed
Change the World Who Cares? Videos Take Action! The Animals Community Forum Shop Blog Display
1 2 3
Your E-Mail: O Password:
Login Help     |     Join for Free!     |     Hide This

Post a Reply

Trouble with my dog

Jumping on the bench

21 - 30 of 36 posts   1 | 2 | 3 | 4  

SheSang SheSang QLD Posts: 17
21 2 Aug 2011
When it comes to dogs, you need to think like the pack leader. I know this sounds kind of cliché but it’s so true.

In order to stop unacceptable behaviour, you need to let them know it’s unacceptable. Be the dominate dog. Next time you find evidence of your dog misbehaving, you need to bring them to the mess or broken dishes and let them know you’re not happy about what they’ve done.
You do this by grabbing them by the scruff (like what the alpha dog does naturally) and in a deep growly voice, tell them “no!” or whatever you normally use.

Using trinkets or chemicals (be them naturally occurring or not) doesn’t get to the root of the behavioural issue. All it will do is stop them from doing that particular activity, and start doing something else naughty.
ReplyQuote

rottweiler rottweiler SA Posts: 1907
22 2 Aug 2011
SheSang said:
When it comes to dogs, you need to think like the pack leader. I know this sounds kind of cliché but it’s so true.

In order to stop unacceptable behaviour, you need to let them know it’s unacceptable. Be the dominate dog. Next time you find evidence of your dog misbehaving, you need to bring them to the mess or broken dishes and let them know you’re not happy about what they’ve done.
You do this by grabbing them by the scruff (like what the alpha dog does naturally) and in a deep growly voice, tell them “no!” or whatever you normally use.

Using trinkets or chemicals (be them naturally occurring or not) doesn’t get to the root of the behavioural issue. All it will do is stop them from doing that particular activity, and start doing something else naughty.
Well she said the dog only does it when no ones home.. So they can't really tell the dog off if they don't see it
ReplyQuote

Tanyaka Tanyaka VIC Posts: 1219
23 2 Aug 2011
You need to be careful with punishment. ..and praise. Timing is crucial.. if they've already done it, telling them off later wont work. It might infact create new behavioural problems because they might associate something completely different with the punishment. Ie. They are just laying down infront of the heater when you notice the mess in the kitchen. If you grab them then and punish them, even if you take them to the mess... all they will understand is that they were laying infront of the heater and now you're mad.
ReplyQuote

rottweiler rottweiler SA Posts: 1907
24 2 Aug 2011
I agree. You can't punish a dog for something it did hours ago. You basically need to see them do it, otherwise the scolding just isn't going to work and as you said, it'll be worse for them
ReplyQuote

AllyCat AllyCat SA Posts: 497
25 2 Aug 2011
SheSang said:

yeah. as everyone said, they wouldn't be home to see it. Telling them off later will not work! They might not even know what they did wrong. ( Or is just my dog. Who really has no brains! )
ReplyQuote

katherooni katherooni SA Posts: 209
26 3 Aug 2011
4_da_animals1 said:
katherooni said:
I have a 2 and a half yr old cavalier x spaniel, very small but she can JUMP! she gets on on the kitchen bench when we are at work, its awful, she breaks all the dishes and eats any food that may be left out (we always try to clean up before we leave but....you know how it is).
Worst of all her hair is everywhere on the bench and her footprints are everywhere! I love her to death but I do think its a bit gross.
She only ever does it when we're out, never once seen her do it so i cant tell her off!
Does anyone have any ideas to stop her from doing this? I've searched the net but cant really find anything
put her in another room, or outside when you go to work. Perhaps set up a play pen for her outside. Usually if dogs are playing up when you're gone, it's because they are BORED. Either way you need to find things to keep her occupied and less likely have the urge to do naughty things while you are out. Perhaps a tasty artificial bone, or a new toy to chew on? A kong filled with her favourite treats? Something along those lines. If you try this in the same room, and she still jumps up on the bench, you're just going to have to put her in another area. Goodluck! peace
Thanks for that, I think I'm going to have to leave her outside during the day. I was hesitant to before becuase the weather was so cold, but now its warming up I think she's be ok. She hates being outide though, she is just like a cat, all she wants to do is curl up on her cushion haha.
I will need to escape-proof the backyard and get her a nice cosy kennel this week. motivation!!
ReplyQuote

27 3 Aug 2011
AlexandraMcLeaan said:
SheSang said:

yeah. as everyone said, they wouldn't be home to see it. Telling them off later will not work! They might not even know what they did wrong. ( Or is just my dog. Who really has no brains! )
I was just thinking that, I thought you could only discipline like that if you catch them in the act. Although when she goes to the toilet in the house, as soon as you go near the mess she cowers, so she obivously knows thats wrong. I'm not sure what kind of discipline her previous owners used, but she tends to cower alot so I think they may have been quite harsh. I feel bad for her and hate telling her off!
ReplyQuote

4_da_animals1 4_da_animals1 SA Posts: 3293
28 4 Aug 2011
katherooni said:
4_da_animals1 said:
katherooni said:
I have a 2 and a half yr old cavalier x spaniel, very small but she can JUMP! she gets on on the kitchen bench when we are at work, its awful, she breaks all the dishes and eats any food that may be left out (we always try to clean up before we leave but....you know how it is).
Worst of all her hair is everywhere on the bench and her footprints are everywhere! I love her to death but I do think its a bit gross.
She only ever does it when we're out, never once seen her do it so i cant tell her off!
Does anyone have any ideas to stop her from doing this? I've searched the net but cant really find anything
put her in another room, or outside when you go to work. Perhaps set up a play pen for her outside. Usually if dogs are playing up when you're gone, it's because they are BORED. Either way you need to find things to keep her occupied and less likely have the urge to do naughty things while you are out. Perhaps a tasty artificial bone, or a new toy to chew on? A kong filled with her favourite treats? Something along those lines. If you try this in the same room, and she still jumps up on the bench, you're just going to have to put her in another area. Goodluck! peace
Thanks for that, I think I'm going to have to leave her outside during the day. I was hesitant to before becuase the weather was so cold, but now its warming up I think she's be ok. She hates being outide though, she is just like a cat, all she wants to do is curl up on her cushion haha.
I will need to escape-proof the backyard and get her a nice cosy kennel this week. motivation!!
Sounds like a good plan. Could always get her a little dog coat for cold days wink Unless she's the type to destroy those kinds of things haha peace Good luck, let me know how it goes!
ReplyQuote

29 7 Aug 2011
so yesterday we put a doggy door in the laundry so we can have her partially inside. We havent tried it out yet but i look forward to seeing how she uses it! I hope she likes it, shes a real sooky dog and hates being left.
Do any of you guys use doggy doors for your pets?
ReplyQuote

AllyCat AllyCat SA Posts: 497
30 7 Aug 2011
Yeaaaaah, i have a doggie door for my dogs. They really like it. They jump through it all the time. But everytime i put them out, there back in! We put a door there, so we have to open the door when they come in through the doggie door.

Actually it's a good idea, what we have! We have in the laundry, the doggie door on the back door, then the washing machine in the laundry, then another door, that you have to open it for the dogs all the time. It's a good idea! On hot days when we are all gone they can go in the laundry, & their bed is there! It's so cool in there.
ReplyQuote

[ 1 ]  [ 2 ]  [ 3 ]  [ 4 ] 

www.unleashed.org.au