Animals Australia Unleashed
Change the World Who Cares? Videos Take Action! The Animals Community Forum Shop Blog Display
1 2 3
Your E-Mail: O Password:
Login Help     |     Join for Free!     |     Hide This

Post a Reply

Hidden Animal Products

1 - 10 of 11 posts   1 | 2  

Tyson Jack Tyson Jack VIC Posts: 5
1 16 Aug 2011
I was recently taking steps to become vegan and yesterday afternoon I saw Earthlings for the first time and it changed my life forever, I imediatly got rid of all obvious animal products from my bedroom/diet e.g. (Leather, Wool, Silk, Honey, Dairy, Meat, Eggs etc.). My question is where do I need to go from here to be sure im living a 100% cruelty free lifestyle im still very unsure about beauty/cosmedic products and anything else somebody might be aware of, I need to know everything happy
ReplyQuote

z1 z1 VIC Posts: 535
2 16 Aug 2011
congrats on making the decision. Every person who goes vegan reduces the profits of the animal abusers.
My advice is to go easy. At first i went after the micro ingredients and really over did it. I was a little over enthusiastic. Veganism should be easy.
And it the end it's your choice what you do and dont do. Each person has to choose for themselves where to draw the line, and it's all a learning process.
you can never be 100% cruelty free, but you can try
ReplyQuote

3 16 Aug 2011
thanks man but i dont think im getting ahead of myself or anything iv already made all the big changes i just wanna stop useing other animal products i just need some help in finding out what they are  can anyone help me?
ReplyQuote

Mean people wear fur Mean people wear fur QLD Posts: 1087
4 16 Aug 2011
Do you know about gelatin? Avoid that if possible. I can't think of many other hidden nasties right now but I'll get back to you if I do!
ReplyQuote

5 16 Aug 2011
thankyou happy yeah thats the other thing iv gott keep an eye on lol
ReplyQuote

ckimana ckimana NSW Posts: 2545
6 16 Aug 2011
Aaron said:
My advice is to go easy. At first i went after the micro ingredients and really over did it. I was a little over enthusiastic. Veganism should be easy.
And it the end it's your choice what you do and dont do. Each person has to choose for themselves where to draw the line, and it's all a learning process.
you can never be 100% cruelty free, but you can try
Totally agree! I went nuts too for the first year or so. Not only did it make me look like a "vegan nazi" but it also distanced me from others, which is very depressing considering everyone I know is omni.

I now just avoid the obvious non-vegan things like:
- meat/fish/dairy/eggs/honey
- gelatine/rennet/animal emulsifier 471/code 120
- leather/suede/silk
- cosmetics/toiletries/dishwashing/cleaning products tested on animals.
- Zoos/circusus/races

Wow, that was a long list, lol. But... an easy one! happy

And congrats for making the change! thumb

EDIT: check out www.choosecrueltyfree.org.au for cruelty free beauty/cleaning products.
ReplyQuote

KirstyGirl KirstyGirl TAS Posts: 754
7 16 Aug 2011
It takes a while to really know everything. I've been doing this for years and there will always be something new to learn. I don't think anyone lives 100% cruelty free purely because there are so many ingredients etc that we don't know about. All we can do is our best to live the most cruelty-free way we possibly can.
In saying that the first step is to get to know your ingredients. I've actually made a massive list which you can take a look at here which might help you: http://www.vegantasmania.com/p/food.html
Otherwise always look up what you're buying into. As far as cosmetics go I have a couple of apps on my phone to tell me what ingredients etc are good and bad so I can always look them up while standing in the isle. A bit of a hassle but totally worth it. Otherwise look up the products at home before shopping.
ReplyQuote

SheSang SheSang QLD Posts: 17
8 19 Aug 2011
Here is something you may find quite interesting:
http://www.ted.com/talks/christien_meindertsma_on_pig_05049.html
ReplyQuote

Pinkhotstar Pinkhotstar QLD Posts: 163
9 19 Aug 2011
Steric acid, apparently it is in just about everything rubber. Steric acid in foods = vegetable derived, but steric acid in rubber = animal derived. Just to complicate things more. I learned that the other day trying to source vegan friendly car tyres.
ReplyQuote

EveBelieber EveBelieber SA Posts: 3
10 20 Aug 2011
thats really really good what your doing!!! but some of these products could be cruelty free. like maybe free range eggs ''etc''. but you said you threw away you leather, wool, and things like that . but why you throw them away that animals going in the bin, you should keeps then because there already dead and you have it, you could of kept them but never bought anymore happy
ReplyQuote

< Prev
 [ 1 ]  [ 2 ] 

www.unleashed.org.au