Animals Australia Unleashed
Change the World Who Cares? Videos Take Action! The Animals Community Forum Shop Blog Display
1 2 3
Your E-Mail: O Password:
Login Help     |     Join for Free!     |     Hide This

Post a Reply

Going from vegetarian to vegan

11 - 12 of 12 posts   1 | 2  

KittyLover KittyLover VIC Posts: 281
11 24 Aug 2011
RoseDuke said:
So I've been a vegetarian since I was about 10.  I can't say that I ever found eating meat tasty, although it was definitely the ethical issue that influenced me the most.  

These days, the more that I know, the less that I want to eat.  I've been thinking seriously of going down the vegan path.  I basically want to cut animal products out of my menu, but I'm not sure how to go about it.  

I was just wondering if most people went gradually, or cold turkey?  Did you have any slip ups?  What do you do about special occasions, and how do you explain it to people?  Most friends and family don't really "get" my vegetarianism as it is, and it is a world of pain trying to find a place where we can all go out to dinner, for example.  It's also really difficult when people invite us over for dinner.  I don't wanna be rude or critical, but sometimes all I can think about it what is in the meal!!

Although my partner is supportive, he is not a vegetarian, and being a country boy, is very fond of his meat and dairy.  I feel strongly that it's not up to me to convert him (or anyone), because he is an adult, however, I'd love it if anyone had any suggestions about how I could make his diet a bit more "ethical".  For example, organic milk and cheese?  I loathe buying meat from the supermarkets, but I'm not certain that most butchers are any better.

thumb
I went cold turkey happy I always drank soy milk anyway so I didn't really have many animal derived foods in my house ( except my husbands which I never ate )

When I go to people house for dinner, I usually just have a salad, Unless it's my MIL, She cooks me Vegan food happy  When we go out for dinner, My friends and Husband are pretty good, We always check there is something I can have or alter to be Vegan.  Having said that, Most places will have at least one thing you alter happy

I just tell people I don't eat animal products because it's cruel, I'll only go into the details if they keep bugging me happy

My Husband eats meat, but there is no way I will cook it for him, He cooks it himself. he knows how I feel. Once he told someone he wont ask me to cook meat because I'll stand over the pan and cry!! Well, He's not far off! LOL

We both work full time, So we have our own income, We pay half the bills and buy our own food, So not one cent of my money is going to the meat or dairy industry.  With the cleaning products, We use the Vegan ones happy
ReplyQuote

4_da_animals1 4_da_animals1 SA Posts: 3293
12 25 Aug 2011
follz said:
4_da_animals1 said:
Purchase meat from markets. Usually at markets there are stalls with those who own free range pig farms, duck cow etc and they are more than happy to answer your questions about how ethical they are. happy
That's one thing I can say for my carnivore family, at least they attempt to be as ethical as possible with their animal addiction. tongue
I really don't understand. You can't be 'as ethical as possible' - there is only ethical (not eating animals or their derivatives) and unethical (eating animals/derivatives). No one ever wants to debate this because they think that getting people to eat 'ethical/humane' meat is a step in the right direction.. which is absolutely not true. Ask the animals if they are happy with that (isn't meant to be all about them?).

The major problems with it is that it completely alleviates any guilt a carnist might have had when he/she is chomping on a dead animal. All of a sudden they think 'this is ethical meat' and you are no closer to getting him to veganism than the person who doesn't think twice about the chopped up remains of an animal sitting on their plate. Continually encouraging people to 'go local' doesn't even TOUCH on the crux of this whole animal issue: That is all sentient life has the same intrinsic value and animals do NOT belong to us and have the same right to freedom as we do.

Tell me how (you or anyone) by advocating local produce/better conditions is improving things for the animals? Are they even an inch closer to freedom? Just because some may think it's easier to 'sell' to people by advocating local produce/better conditions/bigger cages, does not mean it helps in the long run. In fact, it is detrimental. Imagine living in a world where every man and his dog thinks it's 'ethical' to eat animals because they believe they live good lives?

A couple of years ago I remember convincing a friend to go 'local'. That was easy and he did so... but what about now? Well, now he's of the view that as long as the animals are treated 'well' before slaughter, there isn't a problem with eating animals. Now he won't budge. If I spent the time and focused on the crux of the issue, I know things would be different with him and his family.

Please don't accuse me of saying anyone who advocates those things advocates the killing of animals. That is NOT what I am saying. My point is that continually pushing things that people consider easier to sell to the public does not help the animals and people should not able afraid to discuss the heart of the issue (speciesism).
I don't outright advocate "save animals, buy local!" however most of us with a realistic view on the world know it isn't going to produce a 100%  vegan race. I have grown up with my family eating meat all thrughout their lives, hell I ate meat myself for 16 years knowing the animals grew up in the most humane conditions possible because my mother forked out the extra $$$ to make sure but in the end I didn't agree with one species taking the life of another when there are other options out there along with a zillion other reasons which I can't be bothered arguing to a fellow vego right now. tongue For those who have all the facts and don't plan on changing their habits any time soon, a more humane option is certainly better than the other. I don't support anybody eating meat but in order to get far in my activism I need to respect the decisions and morals of other people in society, even if they contradict my own. I'm not going to bother living in a silly perfect bubble frame of mind where I'll refuse to acknowledge anyone who doesn't have the same views as I when it comes to animal rights because then I know those poor animals stuck in those factories, having their throats slit concious etc aren't going to reach anywhere else. The most logical action is to fight for more humane conditions, support those who reach those conditions and boycott the rest. The rest will follow to make more $$$ and those who eat meat and see nothing wrong with the matter after being informed about the health, enviromental and ethical benefits of going vegetarian will be eating in a more humane manner. Regardless I will always advocate for vegetarian and vegan diets because we personally know it's the best option for our world. For those who don't see it yet, buying from a local farmer who owns a couple hundred pigs over a stretch of paddocks is certainly a better option than a mass produced factory farmed pig who has suffered from depression for the majority of their life right up until slaughter. I understand, aknowledge and respect your point, but please do the same in my own. peace
ReplyQuote

Next >
 [ 1 ]  [ 2 ] 

www.unleashed.org.au