Animals Australia Unleashed
Change the World Who Cares? Videos Take Action! The Animals Community Forum Shop Blog Display
1 2 3
Your E-Mail: O Password:
Login Help     |     Join for Free!     |     Hide This

Post a Reply

Do you think it should be compulsary to have dogs microchipped?

It would save alot of lives & track down animal cruelty offenders

1 - 10 of 16 posts   1 | 2  

kikumeri kikumeri SA Posts: 46
1 1 Sep 2011
Recent reports state that over 100,000 strays were collected in 2007. All of these had to be cared for by local councils or charitable organisations, and too many were destroyed.

If these dogs had been microchipped, the owners could easily be traced and any cruelty, punished. A dynamic school animal action club, called Speak Out for Animals (S.O.F.A), at Thorpe House Langley Preparatory School, is therefore campaigning for microchipping of dogs to be made law.

Recognising that some dog owners may be against this becoming law because of the costs, S.O.F.A is also working to persuade pet stores and supermarket chains to offer 'free' microchipping through their loyalty schemes. Additionally, local councils could be encouraged to hold ‘free’ micro chipping days whereby members of the public can take their dogs along to be micro chipped. S.O.F.A. is currently working with their local council who is considering holding such an event! The suggestions above would also promote more responsible pet ownership.

Sign the petition, if you agree! We need your help!
http://www.gopetition.com/petitions/compulsory-microchipping-of-dogs.html

and what are your thoughts on this?
ReplyQuote

..1 ..1 TAS Posts: 2265
2 1 Sep 2011
Signed.

It's compulsory in Tasmania to have your dog microchipped, my new boy is going to be desexed, vaccinated and microchipped in a fortnight. happy
ReplyQuote

3 1 Sep 2011
oo lucky you, i dont have my own pal yet ^^, not alloud dogs were we are renting, thats why im moving!

id love to live on a farm, so i can have multiple dogs =3
ReplyQuote

ckimana ckimana NSW Posts: 2545
4 1 Sep 2011
Signed happy

All pets should be microchipped. It's really sad to know that pets are only usually kept for 7 days at pounds if unmicrochipped. Sometimes owners aren't too worried for a day or so and don't start looking until then, and it may be too late sad
ReplyQuote

5 1 Sep 2011
its very sad =( it shouldnt have to happen!
ReplyQuote

OinkMoo OinkMoo NSW Posts: 1340
6 2 Sep 2011
Signed and Shared

Omg Maggie what is your new dog - details tongue

I just got my new pup on Wed, He is Microchipped, Vaccinated but he is getting desexed soon.

QUESTION - (1) How much is it to get a dog microchipped?

- ( 2 ) How old should a male dog be befor it gets desexed?

All dogs should be Microchipped, desexed and vaccinated. You shouldnt have a dog if you cant affored to microchip, Desex, Vaccinate, Train, Feed ect .
ReplyQuote

ckimana ckimana NSW Posts: 2545
7 2 Sep 2011
shanii said:
Signed and Shared

I just got my new pup on Wed, He is Microchipped, Vaccinated but he is getting desexed soon.

QUESTION - (1) How much is it to get a dog microchipped?

- ( 2 ) How old should a male dog be befor it gets desexed?

All dogs should be Microchipped, desexed and vaccinated. You shouldnt have a dog if you cant affored to microchip, Desex, Vaccinate, Train, Feed ect .
We charge $59 for microchipping. Desexing should be done at 5-6 months of age.

OH, I just see your in NSW, the Petfest (Merrylands) is on Sunday 18th September and they do free microchipping happy
http://www.holroyd.nsw.gov.au/your_city/events/petfest
ReplyQuote

Tarzi Tarzi VIC Posts: 222
8 2 Sep 2011
signed! I think It would be best if all dogs were microchipped.
ReplyQuote

Power Of Speech Power Of Speech NSW Posts: 7
9 2 Sep 2011
About to sign.
Microchipping is compulsory in NSW, but it's only effective if people actually do it! My boy Wulf was found dumped as a tiny pup in the bush with his brothers with no identification, and I know I'd like to find out about the people who left three little pups to starve in the middle of nowhere.
ReplyQuote

..1 ..1 TAS Posts: 2265
10 2 Sep 2011
shanii said:
He's the dog in my profile picture. He lived with us for a while, and then one day his owners decided to take him back. That day he ran back to us, and his owners came looking for him several times, but we just said we hadn't seen him. In the end we got sick of them coming to our house every day, so we asked them if we could keep the dog, and guaranteed we'd look after him well. His owners said yes and now he's ours.

His old owners called him Ralph, but we renamed him to Mister Fox, Foxie for short.

I'm worried that he might freak out a bit when he goes to get microchipped, vaccinated and desexed though... He doesn't like being away from us.

(Sorry to have gone off topic!)
ReplyQuote

< Prev
 [ 1 ]  [ 2 ] 

www.unleashed.org.au