Animals Australia Unleashed
Change the World Who Cares? Videos Take Action! The Animals Community Forum Shop Blog Display
1 2 3
Your E-Mail: O Password:
Login Help     |     Join for Free!     |     Hide This

Post a Reply

Do you think it should be compulsary to have dogs microchipped?

It would save alot of lives & track down animal cruelty offenders

11 - 16 of 16 posts   1 | 2  

OinkMoo OinkMoo NSW Posts: 1340
11 2 Sep 2011
Maggie said:
shanii said:
Omg Maggie what is your new dog - details tongue
He's the dog in my profile picture. He lived with us for a while, and then one day his owners decided to take him back. That day he ran back to us, and his owners came looking for him several times, but we just said we hadn't seen him. In the end we got sick of them coming to our house every day, so we asked them if we could keep the dog, and guaranteed we'd look after him well. His owners said yes and now he's ours.

His old owners called him Ralph, but we renamed him to Mister Fox, Foxie for short.

I'm worried that he might freak out a bit when he goes to get microchipped, vaccinated and desexed though... He doesn't like being away from us.

(Sorry to have gone off topic!)
naww he sounds so sweet, we got offered to take Bindi the maremma. She is tired up all day at her current home and when she is let off she  comes running up to our place.

Good luck with foxie
ReplyQuote

Beemo Beemo United States Posts: 1259
12 2 Sep 2011
shanii said:
QUESTION - (1) How much is it to get a dog microchipped?

- ( 2 ) How old should a male dog be befor it gets desexed?

All dogs should be Microchipped, desexed and vaccinated. You shouldnt have a dog if you cant affored to microchip, Desex, Vaccinate, Train, Feed ect .
I agree.
There are some programs setup for people who don't have a lot of money so that they can afford to get microchipping, desexing, registration etc for their dogs.
There are two months of the year (I think June, July) that selected vets over the country will do discounted desexing for people who may usually struggle to make the payment.
Microchipping can also be as low as $10 at rescue organisations.  
So I don't think money should really be an accepted excuse for people not to get those things done.

Our vet told us that our female puppy had to be 6 months old before she could be desexed - I'm not sure if it is any different for males.
ReplyQuote

Beemo Beemo United States Posts: 1259
13 2 Sep 2011
Maggie said:
His old owners called him Ralph, but we renamed him to Mister Fox, Foxie for short.

I'm worried that he might freak out a bit when he goes to get microchipped, vaccinated and desexed though... He doesn't like being away from us.
I'm so glad you got him back! I bet he is so happy.

Dont worry! He may freak out in the morning when you take him there, but after he goes under for the operation he will be totally doped up lol. I remember all my dog did in the car ride home from the vets is sleep.

You never know, Mister Fox may actually love going to the vets. Rolly can't wait to get in the door, he goes crazy and jumps on and licks everyone haha. When I take Moki to the vet everyone always asks how Rolly is going lol. He also gets very jealous when Moki gets to go to the vet and he doesn't.
ReplyQuote

Orville Orville United States Posts: 6
14 3 Sep 2011
I'm always kind of reluctant to make anything compulsory if there's another way to do it. Given the benefits of microchipping (helps find the dog if he runs off or is stolen, helps prove he is/isn't the culprit if someone gets bitten, etc.) would making it free be enough to get people to do it? If it was compulsory, how would that be enforced? Civil fines? Criminal penalties? Just thinking through the details here.
ReplyQuote

Emilia Emilia WA Posts: 285
15 3 Sep 2011
If you care about your pet, then it should be micro-chipped. If they get lost and don't want to do everything in your power to get them back, then why get a pet in the first place.
ReplyQuote

jackson2 jackson2 Australia Posts: 19
16 8 Sep 2011
yes i do, some councils offer micro-chipping days and only charge around $25, the only problem you have with micro-chipping is all the info needs to be updated if you move address or change your phone numbers or if you give the dog away or sell it on you need to make sure to pass it all on to new owner so they can then enter all there details, if you don't and the dog gets lost and finds it way into a shelter they will contact the names  and numbers on the chip until they exhaust all avenues..if you the new owner's don't change it the old owner has the choice to leave the dog at the shelter or have the dog returned to them..
ReplyQuote

Next >
 [ 1 ]  [ 2 ] 

www.unleashed.org.au