Animals Australia Unleashed
Change the World Who Cares? Videos Take Action! The Animals Community Forum Shop Blog Display
1 2 3
Your E-Mail: O Password:
Login Help     |     Join for Free!     |     Hide This

Post a Reply

Vegan Vitamin D3?

1 - 10 of 21 posts   1 | 2 | 3  

Chewie Chewie NSW Posts: 521
1 5 Sep 2011
Does anyone know if there's such thing as vegan vitamin d3 supplements? I can't find anything online so I'm hoping someone knows here! I have an incredibly severe Vitamin D deficiency and my doctor said because of how low my levels are, I need to take D3 and not D2 (because he said it doesn't work as well or the body doesn't absorb it very well)... But from my understanding, D3 is derived from lanolin?
ReplyQuote

DaveQB DaveQB NSW Posts: 287
2 5 Sep 2011
ReplyQuote

3 5 Sep 2011
I saw that the shop stocked D2 but not D3. A little more research seems to reveal that there's no such thing as vegan D3. sad

Which claim was that, Dave? That D2 isn't as good or doesn't work as quickly as D3?
ReplyQuote

Clud Clud VIC Posts: 1559
4 5 Sep 2011
ReplyQuote

bitchanca bitchanca VIC Posts: 117
5 5 Sep 2011
Last week I found out I have a severe vitamin D deficiency as well. I was told to OsteVit-D and noticed it said D3 but didn't really know there were different types of vitamin D. Hopefully once I've finished this bottle I will be able to start taking D2.
ReplyQuote

Emilia Emilia WA Posts: 285
6 5 Sep 2011
Vitamin D3 is the active form of Vitamin D and this is the type that your body needs. Vitamin D2 needs to be converted to the active form for it to work, so it may not be entirely suitable for your needs, especially when you are deficient.
ReplyQuote

7 5 Sep 2011
Do you have any symptoms of it bitchanca? I haven't been feeling myself at all over the past few months, but I do work 70-80 hours per week (hence the lack of sun) so I figured that was why... But wanted to get a blood test for iron etc because I haven't been eating much due to work. Glad I did now. Not iron deficient but do need to now take iron supplements for a while now too, as ferritin is on the lower end of normal. I know it's not necessarily due to the vegan diet (and probably more to do with the fact that I never have time to eat properly) but still feel like a bit of a failure!
ReplyQuote

8 5 Sep 2011
Emilia said:
Vitamin D3 is the active form of Vitamin D and this is the type that your body needs. Vitamin D2 needs to be converted to the active form for it to work, so it may not be entirely suitable for your needs, especially when you are deficient.
Yeah, that's what I thought. The vegan D3 spray Callum posted a link to looks great, but I don't think it'll be a sufficient dose sad. Looks like the very high dose non-vegan ones my doctor said to take are the only option for now. I was told 40-74.0 is the normal range and 25 is considered a bad deficiency... And I'm at half of 25!
ReplyQuote

Emilia Emilia WA Posts: 285
9 5 Sep 2011
It is a very difficult choice to make. I personally would take the medication, because it is something you drastically NEED, especially if you are well below 25. You could get very sick if you don't get your levels up. You have not failed. You are just busy like the rest of us. Just get better soon happy
ReplyQuote

DaveQB DaveQB NSW Posts: 287
10 5 Sep 2011
Chewie said:
Which claim was that, Dave? That D2 isn't as good or doesn't work as quickly as D3?
Yes exactly. It seems ensuing posts have helped reveal about that.
ReplyQuote

< Prev
 [ 1 ]  [ 2 ]  [ 3 ] 

www.unleashed.org.au