Animals Australia Unleashed
Change the World Who Cares? Videos Take Action! The Animals Community Forum Shop Blog Display
1 2 3
Your E-Mail: O Password:
Login Help     |     Join for Free!     |     Hide This

Post a Reply

How can I save ex-battery hens?

1 - 10 of 12 posts   1 | 2  

volksymel volksymel VIC Posts: 2
1 9 Sep 2011
Hi there, i'm very new to chickens but before I go getting any from the poultry farm I thought if I could at least save a couple of ex battery hens that would be a start.  Does anyone know where I get get any in melbourne?  Any info would be greatly appreciated.  Many thanks, Mel
ReplyQuote

Val Val NSW Posts: 339
2 9 Sep 2011
I really wish I knew I've been wanting to find this out as well...

Sorry wish I could help sad
ReplyQuote

Clud Clud VIC Posts: 1559
3 10 Sep 2011
In another post one of the members, wild child2 said she is brining some to Melbourne to be rescued: http://www.unleashed.org.au/community/forum/topic.php?t=2399
ReplyQuote

AubergineBean AubergineBean SA Posts: 6
4 23 Sep 2011
We took on 4 ex battery hens a few years ago via an email request (see story & pic link below).  I suggest you get in touch with Animal Lib in your state to find out how you can give some of these poor hens a beautiful new life. Wonderful thing to do!

http://www.withcompassion.com.au/exbatteryhenstory.htm
ReplyQuote

wynterwolfe wynterwolfe SA Posts: 27
5 3 Oct 2011
That's awesome! So many people overlook birds because they aren't 'cute and fluffy' like cats and dogs (well, I think they're cute but most people don't!)

I just wanted to let you know I think it's wonderful of you to do that happy
ReplyQuote

clairef clairef QLD Posts: 2
6 12 Dec 2011
Whatever you do please dont buy from a poultry farm.  There are also several other options for rescuing hens, as there is sadly a breeding program in schools to teach the children the "miracle of birth".  They give these kids eggs to hatch and parents are left with chickens (or roosters!) at the end of it that often arent wanted (what a genius program).  So please check local shelters for these abandoned chooks too - and if you  are in a rural area please consider saving a rooster, as many are put to sleep due to lack of homes.
ReplyQuote

GoldAutumn GoldAutumn NSW Posts: 137
7 8 Jul 2012
http://www.edgarsmission.org.au/chickenrun/

These guys are re-homing ex-battery cage hens in VIC happy
ReplyQuote

Debbo Debbo VIC Posts: 10
8 18 Aug 2012
claire7 said:
Whatever you do please dont buy from a poultry farm.
I'm not sure I agree with this.  I bought 4 pullets ($17 each) yesterday from an egg farm in outer Melbourne, where they were in a huge shed, two to a cage.  I chose one bird from each cage to let the remaining pullet stretch her wings for a while.  At the back of the shed were long rows of 'older hens' (18-24months) for $4 each.  These were ex-layers/ex-battery hens to be sold off or presumably headed for the pet food factory shortly.

I considered taking two young hens and two older, but thought they mightn't get along in my small coop.  Most people seem to approve of getting ex-battery hens rescued by or given to an animal welfare agency, but what's the problem in getting them directly from the poultry farm, cutting out the middleman and saving them the shock of resettling twice?  Those older hens all deserve a second chance and I'll probably increase my coop size to get a few in the future.
ReplyQuote

gecko7267 gecko7267 QLD Posts: 8
9 19 Aug 2012
I'm getting a few in a couple of weeks. I just rang a battery egg farm and asked if they had used hens for sale. They said they did $4 each, 18 months old. Just keep them warm at night the first couple of weeks, they said. If anyone has any other tips, I'd love to hear from you. I get them before the 4th of Sep. chick
ReplyQuote

JessBrazil JessBrazil VIC Posts: 97
10 19 Aug 2012
I was about to post a  topic asking the same question. O.o
We already have two chooks, but we're giving them to some friends soon. I'll miss them, but I know they're going to a good home and it will stop our mates from buying eggs, and give us more room to adopt some ex battery hens. happy
For anyone thinking about it, please do. Chicken are beautiful creatures and great companions and super easy to care for.
ReplyQuote

< Prev
 [ 1 ]  [ 2 ] 

www.unleashed.org.au