Animals Australia Unleashed
Change the World Who Cares? Videos Take Action! The Animals Community Forum Shop Blog Display
1 2 3
Your E-Mail: O Password:
Login Help     |     Join for Free!     |     Hide This

Post a Reply

Please help

I know it sound stupid but, yeah...

1 - 10 of 27 posts   1 | 2 | 3  

AliceinWhorrorland AliceinWhorrorland VIC Posts: 95
1 14 Sep 2011
My mum won't let me shave my legs, I know this sounds like OMG I'm a little brat who cries when she doesn't get her own way, but I really am getting sick of this, she thinks I will cut myself with a razor, and before that she said the hair would grow back to fast, PLEASE HELP, and no, I don't want "well you are too young" I don't give a **** about that **** so please don't do it, I'm 14 and 1/2, but according to my dad I act about 23, and I am extremely mature, and responsible, I will not cut myself, I rarely get injured, and so WILL NOT CUT MYSELF. please help really soon.
ReplyQuote

katherooni katherooni SA Posts: 209
2 14 Sep 2011
Will your mum let you get them waxed? The results last much longer, and it doesnt hurt too much. I was shaving my legs before i was 14, you're definately old enough to use a razor. The venus ones are really easy to use and i've never cut myself with one.
Maybe she's worried that you're growing up to fast!
ReplyQuote

Tanyaka Tanyaka VIC Posts: 1217
3 14 Sep 2011
I really don't think you're too young. How are you supposed to wear skirts in summer????

Over protective. geeee.

Maybe offer to let HER shave your legs for you tongue ..or just go buy yourself a razor and do it anyway. I don't promote rebellion, but this is kinda silly.

The waxing suggestion was a good one.

Ps. I'm 25 and I still cut myself when I shave my legs. But it's tiny..doesn't hurt and lasts a few seconds. I am too impatient and I just throw quick swipes along my leg in the shower, only ever cut near my ankle though, must be bumpier or something tongue
ReplyQuote

Supercalifragilisticexpiali... Supercalifragilisticexpiali... QLD Posts: 199
4 14 Sep 2011
Awwww my mum wouldn't let me shave my legs either! I completely remember how bad it felt, and I was so frustrated with her... and that was like 20 years ago!!!

Maybe she doesn't want you having to conform at such a young age, I mean there is nothing wrong with having hair on your legs. It's natural and the only reason we feel we need to shave it off is to fit into this kind of silly idea of what women *should* look like.

I wish a) you didn't feel the pressure to shave your legs but b) I hope you can bring your mum around because it is your body and your choice and makes little difference whether you do it today or next yr.

Good luck.
ReplyQuote

5 14 Sep 2011
Tanyaka said:
I really don't think you're too young. How are you supposed to wear skirts in summer????
Having hair on your legs does not prevent you from wearing skirts. Having hair on you legs is natural. It does not impair a woman in any way.
ReplyQuote

Tanyaka Tanyaka VIC Posts: 1217
6 14 Sep 2011
Supercalifragilisticexpiali... said:
Tanyaka said:
Having hair on your legs does not prevent you from wearing skirts. Having hair on you legs is natural. It does not impair a woman in any way.
Yea.. it is natural. And I hardly ever shave my legs, but if i'm going out in public, I do.. it may be natural but it isn't pretty :

Power to those that don't care.. but personally, it is a small thing that makes me look and feel better. I don't do it to fit in, I do it because I personally find leg hair ugly tongue Same reason why I pluck my eyebrows. I look good, I feel good. Nothing wrong with that.
ReplyQuote

Emilia Emilia WA Posts: 285
7 14 Sep 2011
That is true, but I prefer the silky smooth look on my legs. During winter I get lazy, but as soon as it is spring, I just feel more comfortable when I shave.

Get a high quality razor and either
A) Nature's Organic sorbolene - You can buy it from Woolworths and it makes an excellent shaving cream when it is applied to wet legs

or

B) Tri Shave Shaving Cream - Available at all supermarkets and Priceline - it is a thicker cream and it comes in a tube. It is a little pricey but you only need to use a little at a time.

Both of my above suggestions are cruelty free!!!

To be honest, everyone cuts themselves when they shave sometimes, so unless you have a blood clotting disorder your mother is worried about, then there is nothing to stop you.
Best of luck xxx
ReplyQuote

8 14 Sep 2011
Tanyaka said:
Supercalifragilisticexpiali... said:
Tanyaka said:
Yea.. it is natural. And I hardly ever shave my legs, but if i'm going out in public, I do.. it may be natural but it isn't pretty :

Power to those that don't care.. but personally, it is a small thing that makes me look and feel better. I don't do it to fit in, I do it because I personally find leg hair ugly tongue Same reason why I pluck my eyebrows. I look good, I feel good. Nothing wrong with that.
If it makes you feel good then good for you. I shave and pluck too but I'm not naive enough to think that it doesn't have everything to do with social conditioning. It's just like how ppl see it as unacceptable to eat dogs but ok to eat pigs - social conditioning.

Please reconsider your use of statements like these " it may be natural but it isn't pretty :" in future, particularly around impressionable yonug women. Wtf is "pretty" right? Just one particular bunch of ppl's idea of what people *should* look like, what a crock. In that statement you've just said women who do not shave are not pretty. So women who don't conform to this society's ideals are not "pretty". Do you see what you're saying? You may as well be saying "curves might be natural but they aint pretty" sad
ReplyQuote

9 14 Sep 2011
Ultimately though Meghan I think pester power is your best bet. My sister wouldn't allow my 15 yr old nephew to get a facebook account but he just kept up with pester power and eventually she caved. Good luck!!
ReplyQuote

4_da_animals1 4_da_animals1 SA Posts: 3293
10 14 Sep 2011
My mum was the same. I didn't shave my legs til year nine. Just pester and guilt trip as much as you can!
ReplyQuote

< Prev
 [ 1 ]  [ 2 ]  [ 3 ] 
Sign In or Register

What's on your mind? We want to know! Sign in with your Unleashed forum account or register to have your say!

E-Mail:
Password:
  Lost password?
Who
Most Liked Contributors
Today's Top Poster sprout Today's most liked:
sprout
July's Top Poster Aly July's most liked: Aly (6 likes)

Blog News