Animals Australia Unleashed
Change the World Who Cares? Videos Take Action! The Animals Community Forum Shop Blog Display
1 2 3
Your E-Mail: O Password:
Login Help     |     Join for Free!     |     Hide This

Post a Reply

20,000 chickens per Hectare = Free Range

1 - 8 of 8 posts

Beemo Beemo United States Posts: 1259
2 15 Sep 2011
It is absolutely disgusting. I always knew free range was in most cases not exactly what it seemed, but that figure is disturbing.

I like this persons comment about what should be put on each carton of eggs:
"THESE EGGS HAVE BEEN PRODUCED UNDER THE FOLLOWING CIRCUMSTANCES:

Chickens per hectare: 20,000
Able to roam: Tick or Cross
Kept in day light: Tick or Cross
Kept in cages: Tick or Cross
Use of debeaking: Tick or Cross"

I think that would be a good way to find out which eggs are truly free range and the most ethical. Though sadly the chickens will all end up in the same place eventually (not to mention all the male chicks that are killed), but at least actual free range chickens will live a better life.
ReplyQuote

Catyren Catyren WA Posts: 542
3 15 Sep 2011
Abbiesaurus said:
It is absolutely disgusting. I always knew free range was in most cases not exactly what it seemed, but that figure is disturbing.

I like this persons comment about what should be put on each carton of eggs:
"THESE EGGS HAVE BEEN PRODUCED UNDER THE FOLLOWING CIRCUMSTANCES:

Chickens per hectare: 20,000
Able to roam: Tick or Cross
Kept in day light: Tick or Cross
Kept in cages: Tick or Cross
Use of debeaking: Tick or Cross"

I think that would be a good way to find out which eggs are truly free range and the most ethical. Though sadly the chickens will all end up in the same place eventually (not to mention all the male chicks that are killed), but at least actual free range chickens will live a better life.
Maybe add

Number of male chicks killed as by-products to produce this carton of eggs:
ReplyQuote

Beemo Beemo United States Posts: 1259
4 15 Sep 2011
Catyren said:
Maybe add

Number of male chicks killed as by-products to produce this carton of eggs:
Yeah that too!
Maybe also the usual age chickens are sent to slaughter.

I think if all these sorts of facts were right there in front of people then more people would be turning too a vegetarian/vegan diet, or at least looking for more ethical alternatives.
ReplyQuote

OinkMoo OinkMoo NSW Posts: 1340
5 16 Sep 2011
this is why its better to have your own chooks and supply your friends and neighbours with eggs becouse then you know the hens and chicks ( males ) arnt slaughtered, are free ranged and do as they please.

I supply my neighbours and friends with eggs and have gave some chooks that have been rescued to approved homes. One lady even took one of our rescued hens from a factory egg farm and the poor hen  ( Lucy ) only have one leg, to this day Lucy is still hopping around ...  she is now 7 happy i saw her last weekend, when i dropped off some sheep we rescued at the ladys place becouse she wanted to get some sheep so her's wouldnt be lonley.
ReplyQuote

EmmaG89 EmmaG89 NSW Posts: 86
6 16 Sep 2011
Shanii... I was only just wondering in the shower this morning what to do with the eggs that peoples hens lay!

I mean as a vegan (and someone who is allergic to all animal products) I can't EAT IT.... butI was thinking do you just leave them there? Is that more natural for the Hen??? But what if they go off? That's not hygenic for them is it? and of course (being early morning) I completely overlooked the most logical explanation.... give them away! Derr! lol.
ReplyQuote

OinkMoo OinkMoo NSW Posts: 1340
7 16 Sep 2011
Egg_ego said:
Shanii... I was only just wondering in the shower this morning what to do with the eggs that peoples hens lay!

I mean as a vegan (and someone who is allergic to all animal products) I can't EAT IT.... butI was thinking do you just leave them there? Is that more natural for the Hen??? But what if they go off? That's not hygenic for them is it? and of course (being early morning) I completely overlooked the most logical explanation.... give them away! Derr! lol.
you can boil some up every week to feed back to the hens to give them protein happy
ReplyQuote

RaV3N RaV3N WA Posts: 2152
8 16 Sep 2011
In the West Australian today they ran this story and had comments from free range farmers over here, and even they are appalled. They typically run 1500-2000 chickens per hectare and say that is boarder line due to space. At least the farmers even think this is wrong.
ReplyQuote

www.unleashed.org.au