Animals Australia Unleashed
Change the World Who Cares? Videos Take Action! The Animals Community Forum Shop Blog Display
1 2 3
Your E-Mail: O Password:
Login Help     |     Join for Free!     |     Hide This

Post a Reply

Glue traps... for moths

Are they just as inhumane as glue traps for rodents?

1 - 4 of 4 posts

Supercalifragilisticexpiali... Supercalifragilisticexpiali... QLD Posts: 199
1 22 Sep 2011
The idea of a mouse being trapped on a glue trap ripping out fur and skin trying to get away and eventually starving to death over a matter of days is really quite horrific. But virtually the same traps are used for pantry moths who basically go through the same death, yet I've had these traps in my pantry for the last few years since we lost hundreds of dollars worth of food to pantry moth infestation. I never even considered the fate of the poor moth. Rather speciesist of me now that I think of it.

What do you think?
ReplyQuote

Nobody Nobody QLD Posts: 593
2 22 Sep 2011
Have you tried using herbs to keep the moths away?
My herb guide book states that most moths don't like sage, lavender, rosemary, wormwood, southernwood, and santolina.
It recommends having the dried herbs in sachets and hanging them around - it's also important to refresh/refill them regularly, to keep them working.
Hope that helps.

EDT: Here's a great herb farm site. Just thought I'd share it: http://www.herbcottage.com.au/dried-herbs.html
ReplyQuote

Beemo Beemo United States Posts: 1259
3 22 Sep 2011
Yes herbs are a great idea.
I have never experienced a pantry moth infestation, but maybe it would help if you tried sealing all your food in airtight containers? It works for cockroaches so hopefully it will work for moths.
ReplyQuote

Supercalifragilisticexpiali... Supercalifragilisticexpiali... QLD Posts: 199
4 22 Sep 2011
Oh trust me since that mega infestation nothing goes in my pantry without being in an air tight container, nothing! I don't even leave unopened packets of food in my pantry unless they're in air tight containers. The moths we had that time got into absolutely everything including unopened packages. it was crazy.

I never encountered pantry moths until we moved to QLD a few years ago either. When I discovered them, I binned basically everything from the pantry, wiped the whole pantry out with vinegar and spread bay leaves everywhere, then left the pantry empty for a few weeks. But they still came back and ruined the next hundred or so dollars worth of food. So I got the glue traps and eventually they took care of the problem.

A few years on and  we still have a trap in the cupboard. It's been there maybe 4 months and has about 5 moths in it, so even with taking all the precautions they're still around.

What would you guys do?

Anyways I guess I should be grateful, it was probably only the protein from the moth larvae that kept me alive, yanno being a vego and all LOL
ReplyQuote

www.unleashed.org.au