Animals Australia Unleashed
Change the World Who Cares? Videos Take Action! The Animals Community Forum Shop Blog Display
1 2 3
Your E-Mail: O Password:
Login Help     |     Join for Free!     |     Hide This

Post a Reply

Not Illegal to lock Dog's in car

1 - 10 of 17 posts   1 | 2  

Taxidermied Baphomet Taxidermied Baphomet NSW Posts: 292
1 24 Sep 2011
I talked to a lady at the RSPCA (because the other day i saw a dog locked in the car) and she mentions to me that unfortunatly the law dosnt state it is illegal to lock your dog in the car (im guessing it would apply to all animals too), and the only thing they can legally do is take action if the animal looks heat stressed and take it to the vet and get evidence that the animal is in heat stress before they can do anything to the owners.

This definetly needs to change! This will give places like the RSPCA more policing power over this matter sad

Im in sydney, im not sure if it apply's to all other states.
ReplyQuote

Jacqui T Jacqui T NSW Posts: 796
2 24 Sep 2011
Our laws concerning the rights of animals are incredibly shit. There's no other way to say it.
ReplyQuote

Imaginary Product Imaginary Product NSW Posts: 142
3 24 Sep 2011
I don't think it should be illegal.  Owners just have to use common sense.  Absolutely no danger to a well behaved, well adjusted dog in a car for brief periods in any other times besides when there is extreme heat.
ReplyQuote

rottweiler rottweiler SA Posts: 1907
4 24 Sep 2011
I agreee with ^^^
Ive kept cargo in the car for a short period while running into the shops numerous times.. Obviously in shade, window is down a tiny bit- just a little crack so no one can get in or open the door- or he can't get out..
Im a responsible dog owner, its just convinient sometimes..
ReplyQuote

Taxidermied Baphomet Taxidermied Baphomet NSW Posts: 292
5 24 Sep 2011
Yea there are alot of responsible dog owners out there i agree with that.. The people who locked there dog in the car didnt have the windows down at all and it looked like they took a while due to the amount of shopping they took back to the car...

always the few who ruin it sad
ReplyQuote

Jacqui T Jacqui T NSW Posts: 796
6 24 Sep 2011
Responsible owner or not too many people don't use common sense and take the risk. The whole general '15 minutes' rule isn't always the case either as there's too many changing factors- a healthy german shepherd wouldn't feel any risks from the heat as quickly as an overweight pug.

The only time I leave my dogs in the car is when I have to get petrol, and even then I have two windows down to let the air flow through and usually someone with them. I see it the same as leaving a child in a car.

But I wouldn't mind if there were harsher penalties if it would stop the un-responsible ones.
ReplyQuote

7 24 Sep 2011
Id definately rather it be illegal, than legal though.. because although there are many responsible dog owners out there who dont have dogs in the car long, in heat and what not- but there are many that do over do it- and i definately disagree hugely..
If it's legal, it's stops the bad ones from doing wrong, and although it stops the good from doing the right thing- better off that way

I dont know if any of what i just said made sense, im cooking, watching tv and trying to concentrate on typing hahah.. Bathed cargo today and he smells all pretty happy
ReplyQuote

8 24 Sep 2011
Jacqui T said:
Responsible owner or not too many people don't use common sense and take the risk. The whole general '15 minutes' rule isn't always the case either as there's too many changing factors- a healthy german shepherd wouldn't feel any risks from the heat as quickly as an overweight pug.

The only time I leave my dogs in the car is when I have to get petrol, and even then I have two windows down to let the air flow through and usually someone with them. I see it the same as leaving a child in a car.

But I wouldn't mind if there were harsher penalties if it would stop the un-responsible ones.
What i was trying to say but you said it better haha
ReplyQuote

Cailyn Cailyn QLD Posts: 167
9 25 Sep 2011
i think animal rights laws altogether is bull , its not illegal to breed dogs or anything i think they should make laws that you have to even desex your dogs the amount of stress they would go through having their pups taken off them :/
or breeders needed a license and they had a maximum of 20 dogs (iiincluding pups) or something , but they had to have good conditions ect.
but leaving your dog in a car unattended is horrible , leaving your dog in the car with the window down with someone in it keeping them company while you run into a shop is fine , but locking them in there alone when its hot .... not cool >.<
ReplyQuote

10 25 Sep 2011
Cailyn said:
i think animal rights laws altogether is bull , its not illegal to breed dogs or anything i think they should make laws that you have to even desex your dogs the amount of stress they would go through having their pups taken off them :/
or breeders needed a license and they had a maximum of 20 dogs (iiincluding pups) or something , but they had to have good conditions ect.
but leaving your dog in a car unattended is horrible , leaving your dog in the car with the window down with someone in it keeping them company while you run into a shop is fine , but locking them in there alone when its hot .... not cool >.<
I personally thought it was illegal to have more than 2 dogs in a suburban property :S your not allowed to register more than 2 dogs to one normal suburban property, but if you have land/ acres etc it's different..
I think it's good, and bad.. I think it just means more dogs are going to be un-registered so if dogs go missing there's no where to take them :S
My friends has 3 dogs, and she's an amazing dog owner- but one of her dogs is registered to my address cos shes not allowed to register it to her house- so if something happens, it's still registered, just my address happy
ReplyQuote

< Prev
 [ 1 ]  [ 2 ] 
Sign In or Register

What's on your mind? We want to know! Sign in with your Unleashed forum account or register to have your say!

E-Mail:
Password:
  Lost password?
Who
Most Liked Contributors
Today's Top Poster stevenlewis Today's most liked:
stevenlewis
July's Top Poster Aly July's most liked: Aly (6 likes)

Blog News