Animals Australia Unleashed
Change the World Who Cares? Videos Take Action! The Animals Community Forum Shop Blog Display
1 2 3
Your E-Mail: O Password:
Login Help     |     Join for Free!     |     Hide This

Post a Reply

Need some dinner ideas for a newbie 12yr old veggie, easy meals she can cook

1 - 10 of 10 posts

IGIRL IGIRL WA Posts: 35
1 28 Sep 2011
My stepdaughter has decided not to eat meat anymore & although I'm a vegetarian also, I want some ideas for meals that are easy & she can cook herself (her Mum isn't being very helpful & thinks it's stupid that she's not eating meat). When she's at our house for the weekend I've been getting her to help with dinners & getting her to try foods that she's never had before but apart from stirfry & fried rice, what's some nice, easy meals that she can try cook when she's not with us. She still eats cheese & eggs etc.
Are there any young ones on here that have to fend for themselves or cook a lot of their meals that can give me some ideas?? Ta  thumb
ReplyQuote

Tanyaka Tanyaka VIC Posts: 1219
2 28 Sep 2011
I'm not a youngen but some fun and easy foods I'd think of would be pasta bake happy Pasta, cheese, brocoli, yum.

Vegetarian lasagne is an awesome meal. Not easy though but it could be something to make for a family meal, fun and rewarding.

One of my fav easy meals... instant noodles (like 2 minute noodles) cook em up then fry some onion and mix veg (i just use a frozen packet) with curry powder.. quick, easy, yummy. Like a poormans singapore noodles tongue

Mexican!!! A good way to get some beans in. I make an easy chili con vegie with salsa, refried beans, kidney beans (all tinned tongue) and then some fresh onion and capsicum.. fry it all up, yumm and easy and good with brown rice or oven baked in tortillas!!! Yumm

I think there is a really good link for easy veggo meals but it is slipping my mind, i'm sure someone else here will post it happy
ReplyQuote

ckimana ckimana NSW Posts: 2545
3 28 Sep 2011
That's unreal she's gone veg thumb

There's heaps of easy meals (believe me I'm no kitchen wizz!) and you're always there to help her learn happy

Eg's: Stirfry's, sweet/sour rice, curries, tacos, burritos, nachos, pizza (can use muffins for mini ones), falafels, lasange, pasta bakes, hamburgers, vege bakes, stews...

Has she tried mock meats like Frys/Sanitarium?
ReplyQuote

DaveQB DaveQB NSW Posts: 287
4 28 Sep 2011
for something really quick...
In the Asian food aisle in Coles here they have packaged Indian dishes. All you need to do is add rice which you can also get off the shelf that only requires 45 seconds in a the microwave. Nutritional content can be debated.

Here is so recipes that are easy to browse:
http://www.veganeasy.org/Recipes
ReplyQuote

ckimana ckimana NSW Posts: 2545
5 28 Sep 2011
Oh! Jump on Sanitarium website and get the free Health & Happiness Cookbook! happy
ReplyQuote

Animallover12 Animallover12 NSW Posts: 437
6 28 Sep 2011
Found this site hope it helps
http://www.naturallyvegetarianrecipes.com/
ReplyQuote

KirstyGirl KirstyGirl TAS Posts: 754
7 28 Sep 2011
There are so many easy things! Taco's, Pasta etc etc! Maybe you could find her some sites to have a look at like mine www.VeganTasmania.com lol haha or buy her a good easy cookbook. There are heaps of great ones out there!
I wish her all the luck in the world with it! It would be hard without support but thankfully she's got you! Keep up the good work!
-Kirsty
ReplyQuote

VeganEra VeganEra QLD Posts: 202
8 28 Sep 2011
Looks like you have heaps of ideas. YAY!!!!
If you ever need any more, we have loads of FREE information -
http://www.veganera.com/Resources.htm

Good luck!
ReplyQuote

Nobody Nobody QLD Posts: 593
9 28 Sep 2011
The Sanitarium site has a kids recipe section: http://www.sanitarium.com.au/recipes/browse/main/kids
happy
ReplyQuote

..1 ..1 TAS Posts: 2265
10 28 Sep 2011
The best thing you can do, I think, is 'veganise' already existing recipes. For example, vegan spaghetti bolognese, vegan 'meat' pies, vegan pizza, etc. happy
ReplyQuote

www.unleashed.org.au