Animals Australia Unleashed
Change the World Who Cares? Videos Take Action! The Animals Community Forum Shop Blog Display
1 2 3
Your E-Mail: O Password:
Login Help     |     Join for Free!     |     Hide This

Post a Reply

Kangaroo culling

Humane ways?

1 - 5 of 5 posts

ShadowDoubt ShadowDoubt QLD Posts: 753
1 1 Oct 2011
Hey guys! love
So I was watching TV with my parents just now, and an ad came on about kangaroos and not buying into cruelty like meat, fur etc. My mother said don't kangaroos become 'pests?' Like rabbits.. I told her about those wild horses in WA [or where ever it was, can't remember :p] and how they were going to kill them. She wanted to know if there is a humane way to cull/control the kangaroos? and other animals like the horses. I just don't know what happens to them.
Sorry if this doesn't make sense hhaha, I'm really bad at wording things.

Thanks for your help! happy
ReplyQuote

Andrewxxx Andrewxxx VIC Posts: 272
2 1 Oct 2011
There's sterilization for kangaroos. It can work but to do it on a big scale would be so expensive and labour intensive I can't see any state government choosing that over culling.

I'm not so sure about them being a pest. As far as I know they're more of an agricultural pest (although apparently they only compete with cows in drought) than an environmental pest although I can see how they could possibly become a pest in areas which weren't part of their traditional range.
ReplyQuote

ShadowDoubt ShadowDoubt QLD Posts: 753
3 1 Oct 2011
o.0 What's sterilisation? Sounds.. evil haha
ReplyQuote

Andrewxxx Andrewxxx VIC Posts: 272
4 1 Oct 2011
ShadowDoubt said:
They catch them, castrate them and let them go. I can't remember if they have to do it to the dominate male or all males though but it's a lot of work either way.
ReplyQuote

Supercalifragilisticexpiali... Supercalifragilisticexpiali... QLD Posts: 199
5 1 Oct 2011
AndrewF said:
ShadowDoubt said:
They catch them, castrate them and let them go. I can't remember if they have to do it to the dominate male or all males though but it's a lot of work either way.
And I doubt they'd go to trouble/expense of anesthetic .

some good info here
http://www.savethekangaroo.com/resources/KangarooReport2.shtml
ReplyQuote

www.unleashed.org.au