Animals Australia Unleashed
Change the World Who Cares? Videos Take Action! The Animals Community Forum Shop Blog Display
1 2 3
Your E-Mail: O Password:
Login Help     |     Join for Free!     |     Hide This

Post a Reply

Nanoo nanoo from Brisbane!

(Just another introduction)

1 - 8 of 8 posts

Operator Operator QLD Posts: 58
1 24 Oct 2011
Hi everyone,

I'm new to this.

My journey started roughly 60 days ago when I decided that eating KFC 5 times a week was "probably unhealthy". I decided to cut all fast food and soon, fell in love with nutrition. As a means to explore other foods, I decided to cut out meat, "restricting" my choices... Or so I thought. I searched for and consequently found TONNES of brilliant recipes and on the way bumped into facts and figures about the environment.

I was an ignorant, trolling, tool. Plain and simple. I facepalm at how I allegedly "knew where meat came from but would rather not be anemic and plus, we're on the top of the food chain, trollolololol"  rolleyes I was certain that this would only be 30 days then I'd go back.

Soon, I found that like many people, I was lactose intolerant. I cut out dairy and began looking at vegan recipes and nutrition. I began seeing all of the lies and "left-out truth" of the industries. The suffering and the wastefulness was just appalling. Suddenly, it just made sense to live cruelty free. For myself, for the environment, for the animals.

I am still in somewhat of a "transition" period, using up all of my products that I did not know came from animal testing companies - The logic behind this is because ethically, to help the globe, tossing out a half used product, only to create a demand for a similar product - doesn't make sense to me. It's only hurting my wallet and the environment, the company already has my money. It's the same if I accidentally purchase something with animal product in it (I'm getting better at spotting "hidden" animal products in foods now) I do my research, learn from it and move on. Being human, I make mistakes. Some would as such, consider me not a vegan, that's fine. I'm not overly protective of my labels. I just don't want people feeding or giving me animal products - labeling myself 'vegan' stops this from happening. I don't see it as an exclusive club.

One thing you will know from this post, I LOVE writing and usually end up posting border-line rant-like posts. I don't mean to, there's just a lot of information to cover D:

Hmmm... I'm from Brisbane (South side), I'm 19, I'm nerdy. I work from home and next year start university/college. (I graduated at 16, took 3 gap years... But I think that's fair since I'm going back for another 9-12!) Studying medicine to hopefully one day end up as a medical examiner (coroner).  I enjoy playing video games, going for walks and exploring in Brisbane, vegan cooking and as of late... Making vegan beauty products using the power of science!

Long post is long. Redundant statement is redundant. I think I'll hit submit now.  ashamed
ReplyQuote

TheSixthStitch TheSixthStitch Aruba Posts: 988
2 24 Oct 2011
Hello, Operator?
(Heh)

Thankyou for sharing your 'border-line rant-like' post, I enjoyed reading it! Glad to hear that you're not too wrapped up in labels, and I look forward to hearing more about your discoveries and experiences in the future (and maybe some more redundant statements to boot)

Note: Anyone who's comfortable calling themself a nerd or geek is awesome in my books. Science!
ReplyQuote

VeganEra VeganEra QLD Posts: 202
4 24 Oct 2011
Hey Operator,

Good on you for your beautiful transition to the compassionate diet. We are all doing a little dance for you...WUHU.
If you ever need any assistance, we have heaps of free e-books you are more than welcome to help yourself.

http://www.veganera.com/Resources.htm

We also have a free Vegan cook book too...YAY!
ReplyQuote

Cherry Pie Cherry Pie VIC Posts: 144
5 24 Oct 2011
TheSixthStitch said:
Hello, Operator?
(Heh)

Thankyou for sharing your 'border-line rant-like' post, I enjoyed reading it! Glad to hear that you're not too wrapped up in labels, and I look forward to hearing more about your discoveries and experiences in the future (and maybe some more redundant statements to boot)

Note: Anyone who's comfortable calling themself a nerd or geek is awesome in my books. Science!
Right and it's best to be odd then even welcome nanoo i think it is nice to meet in u you will fit in fine
ReplyQuote

Cherry Pie Cherry Pie VIC Posts: 144
6 24 Oct 2011
Aewsome indeed
ReplyQuote

Nobody Nobody QLD Posts: 593
7 24 Oct 2011
Welcome aboard and congrats for going veg!

broccoli
ReplyQuote

Laura-Explorer Laura-Explorer QLD Posts: 1
8 28 Oct 2011
"I began seeing all of the lies and "left-out truth" of the industries." What a wonderful summation of what many people are awakening to - that so much of modern day food production is not transparent, and as such, many people who might otherwise be incredibly empathetic and ethical individuals are left in their dark as to the impact of their diet!

A big congratulations on your new phase of life! What an incredible 60 days you must be having. A few months ago I went through a similar dietary shift and gave up dairy, alongside my usual vegetarianism, so it's always exciting to see someone sharing the experience.

I absolutely adore your attitude re: labels, because it encapsulates my thoughts exactly - that it's not about what we call ourselves, or about earning the right to some sort of exclusivity. Veganism and Vegetarianism are simply ways in which people lead lifestyles in greater harmony with the Earth, and all these lovely creatures that dwell upon it!

Oooh, you're from Brisbane! I just recently moved here, to the south-side also. So glad to know there are fellow Brisbanites wandering around these forums.  happy
ReplyQuote

www.unleashed.org.au