Animals Australia Unleashed
Change the World Who Cares? Videos Take Action! The Animals Community Forum Shop Blog Display
1 2 3
Your E-Mail: O Password:
Login Help     |     Join for Free!     |     Hide This

Post a Reply

The Bondi Vet Chris Brown

1 - 10 of 21 posts   1 | 2 | 3  

JasperLee JasperLee NSW Posts: 12
1 1 Nov 2011
Just out of curiosity - why is he so disliked round these parts?
ReplyQuote

Beemo Beemo United States Posts: 1259
2 2 Nov 2011
I believe it is because a lot of people think he is hypocritical because he spends his life saving and caring for animals, yet still eats meat.

From the few episodes of his show that I have seen he seems like a genuinely nice guy, he also seems to care deeply about the animals he is treating and all-round does a great job as a veterinarian.
ReplyQuote

Lars Lars NSW Posts: 825
3 2 Nov 2011
Abbiesaurus said:
I believe it is because a lot of people think he is hypocritical because he spends his life saving and caring for animals, yet still eats meat.
which is rediculous, most of us have been in a position of loving animals and still eating meat, which didn't make us bad human beings
ReplyQuote

4 2 Nov 2011
well, it seems to me that it is morally hypocritical for people to judge someone that they do not know personally! if he does eat meat is that really of our concern?

there are plenty of things we ALL do as human beings that damage the environment and its living organisms EVERY day (driving cars, purchasing products that require resources which have caused destruction to the earth i.e: drilling for oil and mining for metals, deforestation for our homes and furniture, importing essential goods on container ships that are damaging and polluting to our oceans and life beneath - it is endless)!

ALL of this has great affect on the ecosystem and as a consequence the flora and fauna within that ecosystem! vegetarianism and veganism is one MERE aspect of contributing to a more sustainable and animal/enviro-friendly lifestyle!

it's great that we in this forum can be vegan/vegetarian, tread lightly, contribute to the prevention of animal cruelty etc etc. but at the end of the day and on a universal level we are all doing something that is damaging towards the sustainability of the entire planet. lets all look at the bigger picture rather than target one individual!

to judge is to point the finger. remember when we do that, there are always three pointing back t'wards our selves!
ReplyQuote

5 2 Nov 2011
i might add - cruelty is cruelty. there should be no gauge! farming and unethically killing a cow for human consumption is no different to ploughing an old growth forrest for the sake of some timber for our homes! think of all the poor creatures that have been killed and affected in the process of that! thousands of years of a growing ecosystem gone in minutes at the hand of man! stealing another creatures home for the sake of our own? where do those guys go when their homes are stolen?

oil spills? why? because we import goods from overseas. isn't that just as cruel? slow death and suffering via suffocation?

how many of you drive cars huh?

so - Dr Chris Brown is a vet but he eats meat - and people are all calling him a hypocrite!

it is just as easy to say to these people - your vegetarian and you drive a car??? wow - your a hypocrite as well!! think of how many animals you have killed in the process of getting that oil -  from texas to your petrol pump!  clap
ReplyQuote

DaveQB DaveQB NSW Posts: 287
6 2 Nov 2011
I don't think anyone would deny that merely living will have an impact on this earth (both positive and negative).

The hypocrisy pointed out here with an omnivore vet is a direct one. A vet spends time and care to save an animal, then goes home and eats an animal. Why not don't save the animal but then not eat an animal? It would result is the same thing at a high level view and save alot of resources. Additionally, the killing of animals for consumption is a pleasure, not a need like many examples given in the above posts. Wants verse needs is an important difference to make.

That is not to say we don't have destructive actions that are based on wants, many though,  people are not aware of. I am sure if a very destructive behaviour based on want was brought to the attention of a vegan they would look at ways to stopping it.

These are my views on this anyway  megaphone
ReplyQuote

Pegs Pegs VIC Posts: 1538
7 2 Nov 2011
I think Chris Brown is a great guy. Who would study super hard, go to uni for AGES, and not love animals a lot? When I used to eat meat, I considered myself an animal lover, and I really was! I do think it can be possible to be an animal lover even if you do eat meat, believe or not!

I plan on being a vegan avian vet wink tongue
ReplyQuote

Jacqui T Jacqui T NSW Posts: 796
8 2 Nov 2011
I've met Chris Brown whilst promoting Oscar's Law and he took the liberty of coming up to me and telling me how much he supports the cause. My mother met him a few weeks later in Melbourne and he did the same thing. I know the Oscar's Law Committee speak highly of him and he frequently promotes rescue groups whenever he can.

Quite frankly when it comes to companion animals, I'm not picky with who supports their rights meat eaters or not- we don't have the resources to waste and all it would do is lead to more deaths and less rescues.

But out of companion animal rescue I do not know him- I just know he does really great things for rescue and anti puppy factory awareness.
ReplyQuote

Beemo Beemo United States Posts: 1259
9 2 Nov 2011
^ Exactly. While it would be totally awesome if he was also vegan/vegetarian...he still does a great deal in helping companion animals. He shouldn't be judged any differently just because his occupation involves saving animals.
ReplyQuote

10 2 Nov 2011
you say - meat eating is not a need but my other examples are needs??? excuse me? driving is a pleasure, a luxury and it provides freedom - having a roof over our head is a luxury and keeps us safe, warm and provides sanctuary  - having clothes to wear (ala fashion) is also a luxury, protects us from the elements and most of us wear the 'latest' to fit in with our peers!

Take a look at the third world countries and then tell me that these things are "NEEDS" ! Take a look at countries like PNG that still live natively! My examples in the previous post are not necessities but what has become part of our social and cultural evolution! Like meat, we can live without many of these things! Our heart wont stop beating just because we stop driving a car to work, give up our Ray-bans or choose to live more a sustainable lifestyle!! Therefore - not a basic human need!!

Many vegans - like chris brown -  care for and save animals. by choosing not to eat meat doesn't mean that we don't participate in animal cruelty via other means! indeed we do in a heavy way, but in a much more disconnected and indirect way!! like it or not - we all have our impact and people should pull their heads in and stop being so self - righteous! why not stop driving, live under a tree and walk around naked? because we have evolved! technology and globalization!! all im saying is people need to take a look at the big picture - we aint all perfect!

these people have no idea about chris or his personal life. for all we know he could be donating a large sum of money to certain animal welfare charities and he may choose not to make this public. and for all we know he may choose alternative options such as eating only kangaroo which is much more sustainable and it's cruelty free. he may purchase only organic free range meats that have come from ethical and local farms. he may not even eat meat at all. in all of these forums i have seen NO solid proof that he eats meat.

The hypocrisy that I highlight is that a lot of people are making judgement when they themselves contribute in many ways - wether they know it or not - to animal cruelty. it's not fair to make a judgement like this on someone else when you haven't done your homework!

their argument is unsupported, uninformed and uneducated. perhaps they should invest their time researching where their clothes from - the journey of their products, how they are imported to australia and the environmental damage (flora and fauna) that occurs during this journey. how many birds, whales, dolphins, fish etc etc have died from underwater mining and drilling - all to provide oil and gas for us to live in LUXURY in our day to day lives! me may not be farming these animals but we are still killing them and their environment!! i could go on! it's human nature, it is our species and our way to take what we want from the earth and don't care so much about what damage we create along the way! we don't farm dolphins and whales but we sure as hell farm for oil!! and this indeed has a consequence!! just as bad in my books!! cruelty is cruelty!

if people really want to get hard core on chris - perhaps they should stop being so hypocritical  - act globally - buy locally!! this is really treading lightly!! i dare them to take the next step and see how hard it really is - and how much impact we really do have beyond just farming for meat. this is what i mean by looking at the bigger picture. eating animal product from factory farms and fashion etc... is a small factor in the larger picture. cutting out meat is only the first and a small step towards change!

PETA were once criticized because 70% of it's people were taking medications that were developed and deemed safe for human consumption after being trialled on animals! MOST of the medications we take in our lifetime have been tested on animals before human consumption - this includes good old panadol! Oh - and as for 'needs' - prolonging human life and freedom from pain are privileges and indulgent!

Id like to know how many vegans complaining about chris use medications - take pain killers or know a loved one that has used chemotherapy to fight cancer and prolong life. What your vegan but you use pain killers? HYPOCRITE!!

anyways - i could go on!!! sorry bout the rant!!
] tongue tongue tongue tongue tongue tongue tongue tongue tongue

DaveQB said:
t think anyone would deny that merely living will have an impact on this earth (both positive and negative).

The hypocrisy pointed out here with an omnivore vet is a direct one. A vet spends time and care to save an animal, then goes home and eats an animal. Why not don't save the animal but then not eat an animal? It would result is the same thing at a high level view and save alot of resources. Additionally, the killing of animals for consumption is a pleasure, not a need like many examples given in the above posts. Wants verse needs is an important difference to make.

That is not to say we don't have destructive actions that are based on wants, many though,  people are not aware of. I am sure if a very destructive behaviour based on want was brought to the attention of a vegan they would look at ways to stopping it.  

These are my views on this anyway  megaphone
[/quote
ReplyQuote

< Prev
 [ 1 ]  [ 2 ]  [ 3 ] 

www.unleashed.org.au