Animals Australia Unleashed
Change the World Who Cares? Videos Take Action! The Animals Community Forum Shop Blog Display
1 2 3
Your E-Mail: O Password:
Login Help     |     Join for Free!     |     Hide This

Post a Reply

Ballarat Wildlife Park- Good or Not?

1 - 6 of 6 posts

Pegs Pegs VIC Posts: 1538
1 3 Nov 2011
Im going on an excursion to Ballarat wildlife park this Monday coming.

http://www.wildlifepark.com.au/the-park/

Does anyone know if its one of those crappy horrible prisons, or somewhere that actually cares about the animals?
ReplyQuote

Glen Glen VIC Posts: 337
2 3 Nov 2011
We live in Ballarat, but we haven't been there yet! Pretty bad. So unfortunately, I can't tell you...
ReplyQuote

..1 ..1 TAS Posts: 2265
3 3 Nov 2011
I personally would have to see the place for myself to make an educated judgement. After working with wildlife, I've learned you have to see these places with your own two eyes and analyse every enclosure. Most wildlife parks, unfortunately, are no good.
ReplyQuote

4 8 Nov 2011
Just went! It is a very nice place! The reptile enclosures were a bit small, but were clean, and the kangeroos had an ENORMOUS paddock they were allowed to wander around in, as well as large out of bounds places for them to rest in when they are sick of human interaction.

I just wish they would teach the students before-hand about manners and respecting the animals! Several times I saw at least 7 people surrounding this one roo, and it made me upset because No.1 these animals, although SUPER OOPER tolerant of people, can still harm you really badly if they are scared/stressed, and No.2 how would they like it if 7 roos surrounded them, and looked down on them?!!!

There was even a roo with a joey, who was also being surrounded! It just annoys me!
ReplyQuote

Glen Glen VIC Posts: 337
5 8 Nov 2011
Nice to hear that the facilities are of a decent standard, but you're right about the kids. I went to the zoo earlier in the year with the Yr 7s from Ballarat High while I was on my placement there, and I could have thrown a few of them in the lion enclosure.

I feel so sorry for those poor zoo animals. The big cats are cooped up in pens smaller than our back yard, and they mope around all day with nothing to do. The apes, monkeys and orangutans don't have it too bad, because while they might only have a limited amount of ground space there is a ton of vertical room for them to swing around the trees to their hearts' content. It's amazing to watch their confidence with heights!
ReplyQuote

6 8 Nov 2011
Glen said:
Nice to hear that the facilities are of a decent standard, but you're right about the kids. I went to the zoo earlier in the year with the Yr 7s from Ballarat High while I was on my placement there, and I could have thrown a few of them in the lion enclosure.

I feel so sorry for those poor zoo animals. The big cats are cooped up in pens smaller than our back yard, and they mope around all day with nothing to do. The apes, monkeys and orangutans don't have it too bad, because while they might only have a limited amount of ground space there is a ton of vertical room for them to swing around the trees to their hearts' content. It's amazing to watch their confidence with heights!
Which zoo is it? Melbourne? I do feel sorry for the big cats. Zoos like Melbourne should not be keeping large animals like that, they just don't have the room!
ReplyQuote

www.unleashed.org.au