Animals Australia Unleashed
Change the World Who Cares? Videos Take Action! The Animals Community Forum Shop Blog Display
1 2 3
Your E-Mail: O Password:
Login Help     |     Join for Free!     |     Hide This

Post a Reply

How do you deal with people who mock, challenge and disrespect you etc.

1 - 10 of 18 posts   1 | 2  

Tourniquet Tourniquet VIC Posts: 24
1 5 Nov 2011
So. I've only just recently taken the step to becoming a vegan. And already I've had people notice my eating habits and ask why, so I was honest and they treated me like I had two heads. Anyway, I've already had people challenge me on things, and I've been reading a lot about vegan life, animal liberation and stuff.

I just find it sad that people don't support you as much as you think they should. If someone I knew decided to change their lifestyle, I would support them, no matter what it was. It's not like I've gone around preaching about things either, they've just commented on my change adn I've simply answered, only to feel attacked by an onslaught of..."Well, this is why being a vegan makes you a fricking idiot.."

I try not to get mad. I try to be understanding and realise most people don't get it and most don't want to get it because it's easier to live your life not wanting to know about things that can turn your world upside down or make you feel uncomfortable at the dinner table or shoe shop. And I get that, but sometimes it feels like my VERY PRESENCE is a constant reminder to that person about what they don't want to think about.

Any tips on how to handle situations like this?

Change friends and discard my family? LOL
ReplyQuote

Casper.s2 Casper.s2 SA Posts: 1640
2 5 Nov 2011
Eat them... it is the only option.

love
ReplyQuote

3 5 Nov 2011
Haha "human meat doesn't count as meat..." o.o
ReplyQuote

Cow Hugger Cow Hugger SA Posts: 346
4 5 Nov 2011
omnivores instantly get defensive because they think you are judging them.. so they try to justify their ignorance by making you feel like crap
you're not the one being disrespectful, so i wouldn't worry about it. maybe even point out to them that they are being immature.
ReplyQuote

Glen Glen VIC Posts: 337
5 5 Nov 2011
I only judge people if they use poor grammar.

When I went vegan at 16* (it lasted almost 2 years) everyone thought I was insane. But that didn't matter to me. Know that you're doing something for yourself and for your own reasons, and if those reasons are solid enough, any resistance you get from other people won't matter to you.

* I decided today that I'm not buying any more products with any animal products or derivatives, and once I've eaten the few things left around the place with dairy in them, it'll be history. The other half has been on the 30 day challenge this week and we've both decided not to go back. Yay for us!
ReplyQuote

Glen Glen VIC Posts: 337
7 5 Nov 2011
Wolf said:
maybe even point out to them that they are being immature.
If I did that to my brother, it'd make him act even more like a 3-year-old! That's why beatings sometimes work!

Joking.
ReplyQuote

Cow Hugger Cow Hugger SA Posts: 346
8 5 Nov 2011
Glen said:
Wolf said:
maybe even point out to them that they are being immature.
If I did that to my brother, it'd make him act even more like a 3-year-old! That's why beatings sometimes work!

Joking.
haha, oh doesn't the truth hurt :p
ReplyQuote

xMISSMONSTERx xMISSMONSTERx WA Posts: 2582
9 5 Nov 2011
http://garyhipworth.whatisthemeaningoflife2u.com/wp-content/uploads/butyoukillants.pdf

you will learn how to deal with these kind of people in time.

Quite frankly, I do not have time for people who mock or disrespect me, regardless. Unless someone is genuinely curious,  have a hard time being nice at all.
ReplyQuote

10 5 Nov 2011
Personally, before I became vegan I had to educate myself on it a little, you know? I already knew WHY I wanted to, but I needed to find the resources to back up why I was doing it, so that I could justify to myself that why I was doing it was a good idea. Now I feel the need to read up more and investigate because I feel passionate about it. And that's why I've been reading and researching and stuff. However, at the same time it felt like a double edged sword sort of thing. I am educating myself because I am genuinely interested in it, however I also feel, if I needed to and wanted to bother, I could use the knowledge I am gaining to use logic, reason and facts to tell people WHY I did what I do, WHY I want to continue to do this and WHY I don't want to f**k it up.

It's not a phase. I've always found that I was really impressed by anyone who was a vegan and I always sat around and asked them questions because I was really interested in the subject and found what they were doing admirable.

Hrmm. Anyway. I got carried away with typing...  ashamed
ReplyQuote

< Prev
 [ 1 ]  [ 2 ] 

www.unleashed.org.au