Animals Australia Unleashed
Change the World Who Cares? Videos Take Action! The Animals Community Forum Shop Blog Display
1 2 3
Your E-Mail: O Password:
Login Help     |     Join for Free!     |     Hide This

Post a Reply

Real Vs Fake

1 - 10 of 17 posts   1 | 2  

Tourniquet Tourniquet VIC Posts: 24
1 5 Nov 2011
I've never tried meat substitutes because I've never really eaten meat, why? At first the texture of the meat used to freak me out, red meat that is. And the blood. Even when I was a kid the blood and texture worried me, and heaven forbid I sink my teeth into gristle... also the bones too. They were a clear reminder I was eating an animal and this bothered me. I could eat sliced ham and chicken breast though, it was easier to ignore the truth if I ate those.

However, is the texture of fake meats like the real thing? If so it would STILL freak me out. And eating something that seemed like I was eating meat might be too much for me.

Do you have issues with fake dairy products, meat products OR even fake leather being too much like the real thing? I mean, it's good they have them out there, but some might not be able to stomach or wear things that are too much like the real thing. Just curious.
ReplyQuote

Cow Hugger Cow Hugger SA Posts: 346
2 5 Nov 2011
Tourniquet said:
I've never tried meat substitutes because I've never really eaten meat, why? At first the texture of the meat used to freak me out, red meat that is. And the blood. Even when I was a kid the blood and texture worried me, and heaven forbid I sink my teeth into gristle... also the bones too. They were a clear reminder I was eating an animal and this bothered me. I could eat sliced ham and chicken breast though, it was easier to ignore the truth if I ate those.

However, is the texture of fake meats like the real thing? If so it would STILL freak me out. And eating something that seemed like I was eating meat might be too much for me.

Do you have issues with fake dairy products, meat products OR even fake leather being too much like the real thing? I mean, it's good they have them out there, but some might not be able to stomach or wear things that are too much like the real thing. Just curious.
i don't really remember what meat tastes like, but most omnivores can't tell the difference if you be sneaky and feed them fake meats :p
i think most veg*ns don't have a problem with the taste of meat, we don't eat it because it's unethical.
if you have no problem with the texture of chicken breast, that is basically what the textured soy protein looks like.
the only veg meat substitute i have absolutely hated was veg shrimp (i've always hated seafood) tastes and smells like the real thing uckkk
and the veg mince tastes different in my opinion (i've never really liked red meat either)
facon tastes totally different to bacon, but i do prefer it happy
you can never ever go wrong with vegie sausages though!!! yummm
there are no bones or gristle in vegie "meats" and they are just different! i recommend trying some happy

and i think all vegan dairy products don't taste anything like the real thing, i REALLY want to try daiya cheese sad i hear that tastes pretty close to the real thing
tofutti cream cheese is the best thing in my life love
and i would probably go bonkers without cheezly mozzarella

i just crushed up a packet of oreos and made my own cookies and cream ice cream  ecstatic
ReplyQuote

Nobody Nobody QLD Posts: 593
3 5 Nov 2011
Most veggie meats are quite different to animal meat. However, Quorn products are so close to animal meat, it's really disturbing (but they're not vegan).

Sometimes my meals taste a little "meaty" if I add gravy, chicken stock, or beef stock (vegan ones of course). It can make the meal taste wrong to me, but my omni husband and kids love it, and I just remind myself it's vegan.

Soy Milky tastes almost like cows milk. I don't like that dairy taste anymore, so I stopped buying it.

I love my vegan Doc Marten boots. It is creepy how much they look like leather, but I still love them. Like my meals, I remind myself they're vegan.
happy
ReplyQuote

4 5 Nov 2011
Oh and last week I bought mock duck, I couldn't eat it because it tasted way to much like real meat, it  was also molded in the shape of a duck carcass.. it was disturbing
ReplyQuote

xMISSMONSTERx xMISSMONSTERx WA Posts: 2582
5 5 Nov 2011
It took me over a year of being vegan before I even considered touching fake meat, the idea repulsed me!

in my experience, most fake meats are seriously nothing like the real thing, they're too dry.
Stay away from the asian tinned ones, they're freaky and disgusting!

Fake meats from sanitarium are nice (I think)
And the reason I love 'eatwell' branded pattys and sausages is because they don't look, feel or taste like meat, it's just good old veges moulded into sausage and patty shapes!

I eat them. Because who doesn't like a bit of variety? They're completely cruelty free happy

Also, up until recently I couldn't even bring myself to look at animal print on clothing. Something about it made me sick! I'll use all the fake stuff now, it took a lot of getting used to though.
ReplyQuote

Beemo Beemo United States Posts: 1259
6 5 Nov 2011
To me Sanitarium and Frys mock meats do resemble meat in some ways, but there is still a distinct difference between them and the real thing. The texture for one is different, and while the taste of some products may be similar, I could still tell the difference between them.
Some of the mock meat that you buy from Asian grocery stores can be pretty convincing once added to a dish, by itself not so much though.
I think the way you prepare the mock meat has a lot do with how similar it tastes to real meat, after all meat gets a lot of its flavour from the sauce, spices, seasonings etc. that people cover it in.

Quorn (vegetarian - not vegan) nuggets and southern style chicken burgers tasted so much like the real thing that it grossed me out to the point I couldn't eat them (they reminded me of KFC which I never liked). Frys nuggets and 'chicken' style burgers on the otherhand are delicious and all vegan!

I drink soy, almond and oat milk and they don't remind me of dairy milk at all. Also all of the vegan cheeses available on the market do not taste or smell like dairy cheese which is a good thing.

The smell of real meat, dairy and eggs now makes me feel sick, yet the smell of vegan alternatives do not, so they must not be too much alike happy
ReplyQuote

Casper.s2 Casper.s2 SA Posts: 1640
7 6 Nov 2011
Wolf said:
Oh and last week I bought mock duck, I couldn't eat it because it tasted way to much like real meat, it  was also molded in the shape of a duck carcass.. it was disturbing
HOMG vegan food IS disturbing.

I can;t handle a picture of a Vegan recipe more than one of a home hooked roast or steak...

mock roast or vege drizzled in barbecue sauce makes me flinch... it is so gross..
some people need to give up on the conditioning to liking meat, when taking up the new diet..

otherwise things just get messed up
ReplyQuote

8 6 Nov 2011
Casper.s2 said:
Wolf said:
HOMG vegan food IS disturbing.

I can;t handle a picture of a Vegan recipe more than one of a home hooked roast or steak...

mock roast or vege drizzled in barbecue sauce makes me flinch... it is so gross..
some people need to give up on the conditioning to liking meat, when taking up the new diet..

otherwise things just get messed up
are you trying to insult me?

that is your opinion..
i just found it weird they shaped it like a dead animal, it has like vertebrae and ribs.
ReplyQuote

Joe Joe Australia Posts: 1
9 4 Mar 2012
Wow, really?

Eating meat has been happening for centuries. The thought of someone who doesn't eat meat is so stupid. When I see someone walking down the street, eating Vegan good, my stomach curdles. It's a normal process of the food chain, Big animals, eat smaller animals, who eat smaller animals and so on and so forth.
ReplyQuote

Kacey Michelle Kacey Michelle NSW Posts: 92
10 5 Mar 2012
Joe said:
Wow, really?

Eating meat has been happening for centuries. The thought of someone who doesn't eat meat is so stupid. When I see someone walking down the street, eating Vegan good, my stomach curdles. It's a normal process of the food chain, Big animals, eat smaller animals, who eat smaller animals and so on and so forth.
*FACEPALMMMMMMMMMMM* I mean: I don't really have anything against meat-eaters. But ignorance really makes my stomach churn.
ReplyQuote

< Prev
 [ 1 ]  [ 2 ] 

www.unleashed.org.au