Animals Australia Unleashed
Change the World Who Cares? Videos Take Action! The Animals Community Forum Shop Blog Display
1 2 3
Your E-Mail: O Password:
Login Help     |     Join for Free!     |     Hide This

Post a Reply

Suggestions on a research project to do with animal welfare or conservation?

1 - 10 of 11 posts   1 | 2  

hakunamatata hakunamatata NSW Posts: 27
1 11 Nov 2011
Hi all,

I'm about to undertake my final year of an animal science degree this coming feb and as part of the course i'm required to complete a 'field project' where you are to find a client in the 'real world' that requires or accomodates research and implement/investigate your chosen project and report your findings to both the uni and client's organisation into a 10,000-15,000 word report.

I would like to use this oppurtunity to research for either animal welfare or conservation and hopefully contribute to valuable knowledge!

I'm after research and investigation that can be completed in 8-10 months..

Any suggestions or input would be very much appreciated! happy I need to submit my proposal early feb so i really need to be getting into contact with organisations.
ReplyQuote

lividlotus lividlotus NSW Posts: 301
2 11 Nov 2011
Sorry, but I could only think of WSPA [http://www.wspa.org.au/jobsandvolunteers], as they have a variety of 'side projects' that you could look into, located in the city and you could get some hands on work too.
ReplyQuote

Jane Jane SA Posts: 168
3 12 Nov 2011
What about the Tassie Devil program?

I did a paper on the facial tumor disease in my last year of animal science (never got an assignment like yours though!) and I was pretty fascinated with it, and applied to help them down in Tassie - I never ended up going but I still think it would have been great.

The tumor is really unique and not like any other except for a kind that's found in dogs, so they still need sooooo much research to be done - and they think there might be a small population that's immune  - and ...oh I'll stop going on about it now - but it's REALLY interesting!

Anyhoo here's a link http://www.tassiedevil.com.au/tasdevil.nsf
ReplyQuote

Brendon Brendon NSW Posts: 1212
4 13 Nov 2011
My friend had to do something similar and ended up researching factory farming of turkeys in Australia - something which had never been done before.
It's a major campaign right now and you can check out the website here (it's still in construction but the links work and you can download information form it): http://www.bigbirdsbigcruelty.org/

Why don't you do something like that?

Research an aspect of factory farming in Australia which people know very little about but is rampant overseas?
ReplyQuote

5 13 Nov 2011
lividlotus said:
Sorry, but I could only think of WSPA [http://www.wspa.org.au/jobsandvolunteers], as they have a variety of 'side projects' that you could look into, located in the city and you could get some hands on work too.
Had a look at the link couldn't see their projects- but will definatley send them through an e-mail they might have some great ideas! Thanks happy
ReplyQuote

6 13 Nov 2011
Jane said:
What about the Tassie Devil program?

I did a paper on the facial tumor disease in my last year of animal science (never got an assignment like yours though!) and I was pretty fascinated with it, and applied to help them down in Tassie - I never ended up going but I still think it would have been great.

The tumor is really unique and not like any other except for a kind that's found in dogs, so they still need sooooo much research to be done - and they think there might be a small population that's immune  - and ...oh I'll stop going on about it now - but it's REALLY interesting!

Anyhoo here's a link http://www.tassiedevil.com.au/tasdevil.nsf
I agree, the TDFTD is very interesting! Just did a report on the disease last semester! It would be awesome if i could use it as my topic but i'd need to come up with a research question that i can answer through field work/data collection... Will look into it, perhaps some of the wildlife parks who are captive breeding can suggest something! Thanks.
ReplyQuote

7 13 Nov 2011
BreadmanInAus said:
My friend had to do something similar and ended up researching factory farming of turkeys in Australia - something which had never been done before.
It's a major campaign right now and you can check out the website here (it's still in construction but the links work and you can download information form it): http://www.bigbirdsbigcruelty.org/

Why don't you do something like that?

Research an aspect of factory farming in Australia which people know very little about but is rampant overseas?
I like the idea of exposing a topic that few australians know about! happy My project will have to revolve around the results of my data collection... Not sure how i could incorporate data collection in factory farmed turkeys.... Besides maybe a survey to do with public awareness? Hmm.. i'll explore the issue and the organisations involved a bit more and see what i can come up with!
ReplyQuote

Scuba-addict Scuba-addict United Kingdom Posts: 107
8 14 Nov 2011
Not sure if it fits the critera of what you need!

But you could so a research project about Manta ray slaughtering for chinese medicine...its not widely known about (well in the UK anyway) and Manta numbers are dropping pretty radically sad

Manta's are one of the most mysterious creatures on our planet and also one of the most susceptible to over-fishing. The little we do know about them  is that they only have 1 pup every one to three years even though they have an annual ovulation cycle.  They also have limited migration routes and they reach sexual maturity by size not age.

They're damn fascinating! But yeh...might not be what you need tongue
ReplyQuote

Casper.s2 Casper.s2 SA Posts: 1640
9 5 Jan 2012
do it on poos, they are ALL science!

If someone reads a paper about poos they will merely pass it on merit because they don't want to read anymore. Plus they just cannot deny its scientific premise.

doo eeett
ReplyQuote

Ellim Ellim United Kingdom Posts: 480
10 7 Jan 2012
Why not identify a few different organisations you are interested in or passionate about and see what they have upcoming, rather than looking at projects that are currently underway?  Your work could, then, form the basis of something important!
ReplyQuote

< Prev
 [ 1 ]  [ 2 ] 

www.unleashed.org.au