Animals Australia Unleashed
Change the World Who Cares? Videos Take Action! The Animals Community Forum Shop Blog Display
1 2 3
Your E-Mail: O Password:
Login Help     |     Join for Free!     |     Hide This

Post a Reply

Animal Exploitation

A realisation I've had...

1 - 10 of 20 posts   1 | 2  

Val Val NSW Posts: 339
1 15 Nov 2011
I recently read this really good book called Vegan Freak. And I had a moment reading it when it hit me....

I don't know exactly how to word this but I've since realised that even if we could help make the treatment of animals better for whatever of theirs..milk, eggs etc, if people like us supported so called 'free range' and we ask for better conditions, we are actually still supporting the exploitation of animals.

Of course we all want animals to live a better life rather than suffer more, but what I've learnt is if we put out and support 'free range meat' we're actually supporting those cruel industries and we're helping those industries get more and more consumers for their 'better' treatment.

And lets say we managed to get caged hens bigger cages or were actually on beautiful green pastures, they are STILL exploited for us and they are still at the point of animal slavery. We could tell people to buy these eggs instead of cage eggs and suddenly, more people would just keep buying these products, and animals will continue to be our slaves, as well as helping those industries become more and more powerful. We need to eleminate their suffering, not reduce or give them a slightly better environment.

Animals need to stop being human property for their products and need to stop being used for our 'needs.'  They have just as much right as we do to live on this planet without being kept as property...
ReplyQuote

..1 ..1 TAS Posts: 2265
2 15 Nov 2011
As much as I loathe that book, I totally agree with you. That's why I hate people who see footage of saddleback pigs running through acres of paddock, rolling in the mud, sleeping in the hay lined barns, and say 'what's wrong with that?' I don't know... Maybe the fact that they're forced to breed, forced to give birth several times a year, all so that their babies can be stolen from them, and trucked off to the place where they'll have their throats cut, have their flesh thrown in plastic, and then sat on a plate for 10 minutes. And later, when mum isn't producing efficiently enough, she gets to have her throat cut open too. Gosh, that sounds so humane.

I don't agree with 'buy free range', because it's almost always never free range, and I don't agree with improving conditions for exploited animals. The conditions shouldn't need to be improved because the animals shouldn't be there in the first place.
ReplyQuote

Jane Jane SA Posts: 168
3 15 Nov 2011
Maggie said:
I don't agree with improving conditions for exploited animals. The conditions shouldn't need to be improved because the animals shouldn't be there in the first place.
Totally get what your saying, but in reality, the animals ARE in awful conditions. Any steps that can alleviate their suffering NOW has got to be a good thing.

Like the sow stall campaign for example. I'd prefer there were no pigs in farms at all - but there are so if we can at least get them out of sow stalls - that's a start. And all the while I talk to as many people as I can about how not eating pigs is actually pretty great.

IMO we need to keep encouraging people to stop exploiting animals while supporting the smaller steps toward that almighty goal. One day people, one day!
ReplyQuote

birdie birdie VIC Posts: 393
4 15 Nov 2011
you should check out "abolitionist" gary francione..

http://www.abolitionistapproach.com/

i first heard of him when i joined unleashed 2 years ago happy
ReplyQuote

Czarina Czarina VIC Posts: 24
5 15 Nov 2011
Val said:
I recently read this really good book called Vegan Freak.
I just finished reading this book too.  I seem to be devouring any literature related to veganism at the moment.
ReplyQuote

Czarina Czarina VIC Posts: 24
6 15 Nov 2011
I'm really enjoying what I'm reading by Peter Singer.
ReplyQuote

7 15 Nov 2011
birdie said:
you should check out "abolitionist" gary francione..

http://www.abolitionistapproach.com/

i first heard of him when i joined unleashed 2 years ago happy
Ahh yes Ive been wanting to read that book!!

I should go on a vegan book shopping spree....
ReplyQuote

8 15 Nov 2011
Maggie said:
As much as I loathe that book, I totally agree with you..
you loathe that book!?? howcome??

but yes, animal cruelty must be eliminated. always funny to hear the words 'humane' and 'slaughter' together.
ReplyQuote

JMort JMort VIC Posts: 248
9 15 Nov 2011
This topic will keep groups at the discussion table for hours at a time.
ReplyQuote

xAshlee xAshlee TAS Posts: 722
10 15 Nov 2011
yes . i dont believe animals should be USED at all . but the idea is alien to most ppl. we have to keep fighting for liberation . thats why i have pledged 2 be vegan for life..... it would be amazing for the vegetarians on the forum to go vegan. im loving it love feel so cleansed and when i die knowing ive made a difference to my health, saving animals and not having any involvement in animal slavery etc
ReplyQuote

< Prev
 [ 1 ]  [ 2 ] 

www.unleashed.org.au