Animals Australia Unleashed
Change the World Who Cares? Videos Take Action! The Animals Community Forum Shop Blog Display
1 2 3
Your E-Mail: O Password:
Login Help     |     Join for Free!     |     Hide This

Post a Reply

Animal testing labelling

1 - 7 of 7 posts

Natalie C Natalie C NSW Posts: 16
1 16 Nov 2011
Can anyone tell me if terms like "against animal testing" actually mean that the product and it's ingredients were not tested on animals ,or is it like the chicken industry with misleading claims like"free to roam".      Trying to find cruelty free chrissy presents.
ReplyQuote

PurpleFae PurpleFae NSW Posts: 283
2 16 Nov 2011
Natalie 3 said:
Can anyone tell me if terms like "against animal testing" actually mean that the product and it's ingredients were not tested on animals ,or is it like the chicken industry with misleading claims like"free to roam".      Trying to find cruelty free chrissy presents.
If I recall correctly - "against animal testing" mean that when that line of the product that you see on the shelf at a store was developed, they were not testing it on animals. But that's not to say they never did. As in, they tested  the same base product on animals for x years, now they have what they want, so they put the AAT line on the packaging. So they're not really doing it due to ethics but just as a state of fact.

For example, over the years with Australis products, I've seen the AAT come and go. So you can't just assume it's always there! Even if say it's a certain product or a certain range, they redo it all and you need to double check again. Gah.

Products in the UK actually have a vegan logo on everything that is fine (pretty sure- have to check with my Pommy boy). In Australia, it's not so heavily enforced so you'll find Lush and The Body Shop with a vegan logo on it but not with other 'bigger' brands. Your more independent stuff tends to be more clear on this.

Well that's my understanding of labelling. My boyfriend has a better idea and this is the vague information I remembered... interested to see what sources and opinions others have.
ReplyQuote

3 16 Nov 2011
Thanks,I had a feeling there was something fishy about that label.
ReplyQuote

Beemo Beemo United States Posts: 1259
4 16 Nov 2011
^ Yes the same as "this product was not tested on animals" can mean that the final product was not tested on animals, but there could have been a lot of animal testing done to produce that final product.
Also a company may be against animal testing and not test any of their products on animals, but the ingredients that they use in their products may have been tested by another company.

The best thing to do is to look on a companies website or send them an email, more than often if a company truly doesn't support animal testing in they will be straight forward and completely honest about it. Whereas a company that does support animal testing will try and use misleading phrases to try and allude the consumer from the truth.

Also companies that don't test on animals could be directly owned by a larger company that does do animal testing!

Check this website out: http://www.choosecrueltyfree.org.au/list.html
And this thread: http://www.unleashed.org.au/community/forum/topic.php?t=4470&
ReplyQuote

5 16 Nov 2011
Thanks I saw that label on tresemme naturals and at the time I thought it must be alright.What if it says "not tested on our furry friends" or only tested on party animals, are those misleading claims also?I also have one more question, natures organics is ccf accredited and say they are vegan, but sometimes they don't have the bunny symbol on their products,is there anything to read into there?
ReplyQuote

PurpleFae PurpleFae NSW Posts: 283
6 16 Nov 2011
Natalie 3 said:
Thanks I saw that label on tresemme naturals and at the time I thought it must be alright.What if it says "not tested on our furry friends" or only tested on party animals, are those misleading claims also?I also have one more question, natures organics is ccf accredited and say they are vegan, but sometimes they don't have the bunny symbol on their products,is there anything to read into there?
As we don't have an 'authorised' logo or statement of any sort in Australia that goes onto the products here, it's really all up to interpretation. If the product is from a more organic line from a company (even if it's a sub company of one of the big baddies), it's more likely that claims on the product about animals is true.

(Though, when it comes to organic food... labeling is different then. Some organisations offer company's to use their certification logos etc)

Really the best way to check is to contact the manufacturers/producers or see if it comes up on vegan safe products lists provided by animal welfare organisations you trust. It's all can be confusing but you can only try your best with the information you have.
ReplyQuote

7 16 Nov 2011
Thanks, that's very helpful. That explains why natures organics sometimes doesn't have the bunny symbol, they are on good cruelty free lists though.
ReplyQuote

www.unleashed.org.au