Animals Australia Unleashed
Change the World Who Cares? Videos Take Action! The Animals Community Forum Shop Blog Display
1 2 3
Your E-Mail: O Password:
Login Help     |     Join for Free!     |     Hide This

Post a Reply

Trying to pick up my life

Can I get some advice please?

1 - 10 of 12 posts   1 | 2  


Nobody Nobody QLD Posts: 593
1 19 Nov 2011
I'm sorry this has nothing to do with animals, environmental issues, etc.
But there are so many intelligent and helpful people on here, I thought I'd ask for a little help.
happy

To give a little background:
When I was a teen I was determined to get a job involving drawing. After being told by some job network providers that making a career out of drawings is unrealistic, I put my drawing aside and got into retail jobs.
Problem is, I've been in and out of different retail jobs because of my bad back and mental issues. So sometimes I feel like I'm just sitting around, watching my life pass by, waiting to die.
A few months ago I took my favorite drawing up to the local tattoo artist (to arrange getting it inked into my arm). He and his girlfriend gave me a much needed talking. They told me I can make some money from my art and gave me the name of a company that turns artists drawing into stickers, keyrings, etc and sells them around the world.The artists get a percentage of the sales. It's not big money, but it's a start!
They urged me to contact the company.
So, after giving it some thought, I've decided I want to pick up my life and concentrate more on my drawings.

Now I'm done giving my life story (sorry about that) I need a little help.
I'm really bad at writing letters. I need to email the company and convince them to turn my art into stickers (and other stuff).
Do I give them some minor details about myself? How do I request for them to accept my art?
If somebody here could give me some advice, or a rough example of a professional letter, I'd really appreciate it!

Thank you!
beaverhug
ReplyQuote

Ashurii Ashurii SA Posts: 27
2 19 Nov 2011
How about instead of a letter or just a letter, make a PDF folio of your work to show them?
I'm not sure what programs you have available but generally if you want to convince people to take you on board art wise, a Folio of your work speaks more than just words but in saying that a good cover letter helps.
ReplyQuote

Glen Glen VIC Posts: 337
3 19 Nov 2011
Yeti Woman said:
I'm really bad at writing letters. I need to email the company and convince them to turn my art into stickers (and other stuff).
Do I give them some minor details about myself? how do I request for them to accept my art?
If somebody here could give me some advice, or a rough example of a professional letter, I'd really appreciate it!
When Czarina gets home from work, she should be able to point you in the right direction. She's doing a professional writing and editing degree and one of her subjects this year was corporate writing. She's awesome at that sort of thing.

Your fundamental ideas, in my opinion, are on the money. Good to see someone who is getting the gears in motion to follow their dreams... all too many people in this world feel pressured by the money machine into an apathetic and complacent state of existence. It's hardly our own fault, given the crap that's force fed to us from birth.

I'll leave you with the catch cry of The Enlightenment:

SAPERE AUDE!

Have the courage to use your own reason.
ReplyQuote

Nobody Nobody QLD Posts: 593
4 19 Nov 2011
Ashurii said:
How about instead of a letter or just a letter, make a PDF folio of your work to show them?
I'm not sure what programs you have available but generally if you want to convince people to take you on board art wise, a Folio of your work speaks more than just words but in saying that a good cover letter helps.
Good advice. Thank you.
I'll be perfecting my best drawings, and creating some new ones, for my portfolio.
ReplyQuote

Nobody Nobody QLD Posts: 593
5 19 Nov 2011
Glen said:
When Czarina gets home from work, she should be able to point you in the right direction. She's doing a professional writing and editing degree and one of her subjects this year was corporate writing. She's awesome at that sort of thing.
I look forward to her advice!


Glen said:
Your fundamental ideas, in my opinion, are on the money. Good to see someone who is getting the gears in motion to follow their dreams... all too many people in this world feel pressured by the money machine into an apathetic and complacent state of existence. It's hardly our own fault, given the crap that's force fed to us from birth.

I'll leave you with the catch cry of The Enlightenment:

SAPERE AUDE!

Have the courage to use your own reason.
I agree! There are too many people being pressured to put aside their dreams - and that's what I've been doing. Shame that the need for money often gets in the way of happiness.
I've gotten to the stage that I don't see the point in living if I'm not doing what makes me happy.
If I can make a living (or even half a living) from my hobby, I'll be a much happier woman.

Thanks Glen. happy
ReplyQuote

Glen Glen VIC Posts: 337
6 19 Nov 2011
Yeti Woman said:
I agree! There are too many people being pressured to put aside their dreams - and that's what I've been doing. Shame that the need for money often gets in the way of happiness.
I've gotten to the stage that I don't see the point in living if I'm not doing what makes me happy.
If I can make a living (or even half a living) from my hobby, I'll be a much happier woman.
I know the feeling. I had to leave my tertiary studies to take care of some financial issues which unfortunately, no matter how hard you shut your eyes, don't go away. But hey, I stuck out the crap jobs for another 18 months and went back to Uni. It's weird - I'm earning the least I ever have since I left school, yet I'm financially better off than ever.

It was during that study hiatus that I worked on the poultry farms too... if I never had to do that, I wouldn't know what I know about the factory farming gig. Everything has its own blessing I guess.

I have a belief in that the universe provides when the time is right. I call it "mutual reciprocity of needs", in that no matter what colour of poo you're knee-deep in, someone will come along and throw a rope in for you, and you're able to offer them a rope for something as well. The word "want" doesn't come into the equation, because wants are not a basic requirement for happiness and well-being, which in my belief is what the universe fundamentally provides for us. Wants are merely a gift for coming to the party with the mutual needs.

I better stop now...!
ReplyQuote

lividlotus lividlotus NSW Posts: 301
7 19 Nov 2011
Whoever those job network providers are, they are totally not doing their own job right. Can't believe they told you such disheartening things, argh!
I'm just really happy for you that you've found your calling again, and yes, you definitely can make a living off drawings!

Anyway, I also believe in getting some sort of portfolio made. Also, seeing as technology is increasing in interest, if you could, set up a little website with your works could look good too happy adds that little touch of professionalism and could been seen that you're serious about what your doing and maybe describe in writing how you've heard good things about their company and that only through them, can you achieve the optimal potential or some other thing wink

Wishing you the best of luck! *virtual hugs*
ReplyQuote

Nobody Nobody QLD Posts: 593
8 19 Nov 2011
lividlotus said:
Whoever those job network providers are, they are totally not doing their own job right. Can't believe they told you such disheartening things, argh!
It broke my heart.
Almost every job network person I have been to only wanted to throw me into a job really quick, even if it was a job I couldn't handle. When I asked them how I could make money from my drawings, they didn't even know and they didn't care.


lividlotus said:
Anyway, I also believe in getting some sort of portfolio made. Also, seeing as technology is increasing in interest, if you could, set up a little website with your works could look good too happy adds that little touch of professionalism and could been seen that you're serious about what your doing and maybe describe in writing how you've heard good things about their company and that only through them, can you achieve the optimal potential or some other thing wink
I've thought about having my own website, but I wouldn't know where to start!
I'll go to my local library and see what books they have about making websites. Hopefully they have an 'idiot's guide'. lol


lividlotus said:
Wishing you the best of luck! *virtual hugs*
Thank you so much! *hugs*
If all goes well, I'll be sure to brag about it on here. wink
ReplyQuote

ckimana ckimana NSW Posts: 2545
9 20 Nov 2011
I don't have any advice but just want to say good on you for making a change! You sound like you have a true gift for art & it's something you're passionate about, don't give up! happy
ReplyQuote

lividlotus lividlotus NSW Posts: 301
10 20 Nov 2011
Yeti Woman said:
It broke my heart.
Almost every job network person I have been to only wanted to throw me into a job really quick, even if it was a job I couldn't handle. When I asked them how I could make money from my drawings, they didn't even know and they didn't care.
I think that's why I have so many reservations about these job network companies, when they don't really look after their clients sad I'm sorry to hear that you were around such people but I'm glad that you're away from now though.

Yeti Woman said:
I've thought about having my own website, but I wouldn't know where to start!
I'll go to my local library and see what books they have about making websites. Hopefully they have an 'idiot's guide'. lol
I'm from a graphic design background, studied a diploma and so just want to say a little pointers when you're starting off online. I think having a website is a great way to showcase your works and reach a wider audience and even gain a following, though of course there are risks of your works being stolen and used for profit means I think people need to understand that very basic thing about the internet.

Hopefully I haven't deterred you from every making a website, there really are good stuff. If you want a place to be able to upload them, Flickr [http://www.flickr.com] is a nice place to upload and though it's aimed at photographers there are heaps of other creatives using the site to post their works too and it's got nice copyright protection.

deviantART [http:www.deviantart.com] is also a well known place for creatives to post their works, but it's got lots of people ripping each other off there, however, a lot of big names have been made through that site.
Both are free with options to go 'pro' and pay for more features and whatnot.

I think when you get to a point where you have a good standing, it'll be good to learn some basic website building skills, it's much better than paying someone else to do it because it can cost a fortune for a simple website!
Sorry for all that info but I hope it helps somewhat!
ReplyQuote

< Prev
 [ 1 ]  [ 2 ] 

www.unleashed.org.au