Animals Australia Unleashed
Change the World Who Cares? Videos Take Action! The Animals Community Forum Shop Blog Display
1 2 3
Your E-Mail: O Password:
Login Help     |     Join for Free!     |     Hide This

Post a Reply

L'Oreal.

Wait a minute...

1 - 10 of 10 posts

Jordana. Jordana. QLD Posts: 45
1 24 Nov 2011
I have no clue if this has ever been posted before.

Whilst looking through hair products that don't test on animals (and that may possibly be vegan), I found Kerastase. Now, I'm pretty sure Kerastase isn't vegan (and they are owned by L'Oreal, which automatically turned me off), but whilst reading their FAQ, and then going on to read L'Oreal Paris' FAQ, I found this:

"L'Oréal absolutely supports the objective of the elimination of laboratory animal testing.
   For the past 25 years, L'Oréal has been actively involved and has made major contributions to the research, development, validation and acceptance of alternative non-animal strategies.

L'Oréal is an active member of the European Commission and industry-driven European Partnership for Alternative Approaches to Animal Testing (EPAA) and together with our competitors within the European cosmetics association COLIPA, L'Oréal is committed to a large research programme both in view of the 2009 and 2013 deadlines and to keep on doing whatever possible, in its field of experience, in order to promote this programme.
   Progress is monitored each year by the European Commission and all efforts are ongoing in view of these deadlines.

For the past 20 years, L'Oréal has invested close to € 30million euros per year on alternative methods of research and development. In February 2006, L'Oréal has underlined its commitment to the further development of alternative methods for safety evaluation with the acquisition by Episkin, a subsidiary of the L'Oréal group that is dedicated to the development of reconstructed skin, of SkinEthic (expert in the field of tissue engineering). The complementary nature of Episkin and SkinEthic allows L'Oréal to further advance its commitment to the development of alternative methods for the safety assessment of product ingredients with the aim of sharing out with all the industries concerned, including our competitors. In April 2007, ECVAM (European Centre for the Validation of Alternative Methods) announced the validation of an ‘in vitro’ test as a full replacement method for assessing the skin-irritancy potential of chemicals. This test employs the L’Oréal Episkin model; a human epidermis reconstructed on collagen. This work has so far contributed to L’Oréal’s ability to end animal tests on all finished products in 1989 and makes us fully confident to reach the objectives drawn by the deadlines of 2009."

Misleading statements, or the truth?

"‘L’Oréal has not used animals to test its finished products since 1989, except in the case where national legislation requires it,’ the cosmetics giant said in its sustainability report. ‘This is the case in certain countries where L’Oréal operates and in those locations regulations require testing using animals before substances can be registered for commercial use. As L’Oréal operates on an international scale, it is obliged to comply with the current national legislation for products that are manufactured locally and sold locally.’" ~ (Derived from the link below).

I'm pretty sure they're saying, that they no longer use animals to test their FINAL products unless it's against legislation?
Therefore, they still use testing for developing products regardless?

On another note, if L'Oreal's clever phrasing is correct, then perhaps companies who claim to not animal test (including vegan makeup brands) MAY have ingredients within them that they have recieved from suppliers that have used animal testing previously.

The cosmetic world is a complicated place.
If what L'Oreal says is true, then all their products (final and developing) will no longer undergo animal testing after 2013 (depending on whether they meet their deadline).
Thoughts?

I'll be beyond happy if they do, not only for the poor animals that have suffered for decades, but also because they have a few brands that are 'vegan' ingredient wise.

Notable Link:
http://www.theecologist.org/green_green_living/behind_the_label/1008667/behind_the_brand_loral.html
ReplyQuote

Christina3 Christina3 NSW Posts: 128
2 24 Nov 2011
Wow, this is a shock. This info seems like it would be legit to me...

I'm going to wait to see what other people have to say about this, because I really don't want to start using L'Oreal again if they still test on animals.
ReplyQuote

xAshlee xAshlee TAS Posts: 722
3 24 Nov 2011
hmmm . on this site http://www.ethical.org.au/company/?company=386

it says they rallied against a petition to end animal testing .........

Im not sure i would buy Loreal
ReplyQuote

Gracie Maree Gracie Maree NSW Posts: 88
4 24 Nov 2011
L'Oreal has bought The Body Shop, turned it evil =(
Also, don't trust Garnier (owned by L'Oreal), Revlon, Herbal Essence pretty much all those razor brands you can buy in the supermarket, the list is endless. A certain product like Revlon for example might seem cruelty free but the parent company actually tests on animals, so we will have our best chance only buying products from this list:
http://www.choosecrueltyfree.org.au/vegan.html

Of corse, there will be other products that arn't tested on animals or don't contain ingredients that are tested on animals but it will be best to look into the parent company first before you buy those products.
Oh, and don't trust PETA's cruelty free list, because that is something they don't do, look into the parent company. CCF does =)
ReplyQuote

6 24 Nov 2011
Thanks for the feedback!

Yeah, no, I'm definitely not going to use any type of L'Oreal owned brand until they are completely free of animal testing. Through this, we know that they still use animal test on developing products, and final products that go against European legislation.

I think it's great though that they are asserting that they are on their way to stopping animal testing for good; L'Oreal as we all know one of the more notorious companies for testing, so any kind of alternative testing methods they develop that saves animals is a victory in my eyes.

But until they announce it properly, without clever wording, it's best not to buy anything.
ReplyQuote

SaRa_aRaS SaRa_aRaS QLD Posts: 54
7 24 Nov 2011
Gracie Maree said:
Also, don't trust Garnier (owned by L'Oreal), Revlon,
REVLON!? garrrrr I was told by so many websites it okay!   sad Back to square one with trying to find a deodorant I guess.
What company owns it? I would like to look more into this. So disappointed.
ReplyQuote

8 24 Nov 2011
SaRa_aRaS said:
Gracie Maree said:
Also, don't trust Garnier (owned by L'Oreal), Revlon,
REVLON!? garrrrr I was told by so many websites it okay!   sad Back to square one with trying to find a deodorant I guess.
What company owns it? I would like to look more into this. So disappointed.
Revlon are owned by MacAndrews & Forbes, which apparently also own Transtech Pharma. Transtech Pharma have been confirmed to use animal testing.

"The company tests the compounds it creates. TransTech has a lab for animal testing, and in 2008, the company took its research a step further."

Quote Source: http://www.allbusiness.com/science-technology/biochemistry-amino-acids/14671326-1.html#ixzz1eckwZXPW
ReplyQuote

jack jack VIC Posts: 1463
9 24 Nov 2011
They did stop testing on animals a number of years ago, before a lot of brands( good start) but now test some products on animal by law( apparently)
ReplyQuote

Shelley_Louise Shelley_Louise NSW Posts: 22
10 25 Nov 2011
Lush sell some amazing deodorants that are aluminum free! happy
ReplyQuote

www.unleashed.org.au