Animals Australia Unleashed
Change the World Who Cares? Videos Take Action! The Animals Community Forum Shop Blog Display
1 2 3
Your E-Mail: O Password:
Login Help     |     Join for Free!     |     Hide This

Post a Reply

Vegan Stereotyping

1 - 10 of 14 posts   1 | 2  

cuffy cuffy TAS Posts: 5
1 25 Nov 2011
Hey guys, being a recent convert to veganism, I have found many making rash assumptions about what type of person I am, or what type of beliefs and ideals I must possess. Very interested to hear from others who have experienced similar stereotyping just to be sure I'm not on my own. For example, I am relatively conservative in my political beliefs, somewhat of a realist, a catholic and currently hold a higher level managerial position in business. I understand that there are some conflicts in these beliefs, but get very annoyed when, just because I am vegan and share a common belief in compassionate living with like minded individuals, that they and others assume that I want a picture of a radicals like Christine Milne and Bob Brown shoved down my throat! Someone? Anyone?? happy
ReplyQuote

cuffy cuffy TAS Posts: 5
2 25 Nov 2011
Sorry, forgot. I'm a bit of a beer-drinking, footy lovin', sometimes loud and obnoxious yobbo as well! Doesn't really fit the profile of animal loving vegan hey? wink
ReplyQuote

Michelle 2.0 Michelle 2.0 QLD Posts: 42
3 25 Nov 2011
I know where you're coming from, but on the other side of the spectrum, wherein people mistake my compassion for life as sanctity for life, but really, I'm pro-choice, and I have unresolved, ambivalent feelings towards capital punishment that I'm sure some people wouldn't expect of a vegan.

That aside, seeing as though you don't fit the 'typical vegan' stereotype, I think you are in an advantageous position to prove to people that you can still be 'compassionate' without being a 'weirdo'; that veganism can fit in with other lifestyles, and isn't strictly synonymous with certain political affiliations, religious beliefs or lack thereof, a certain occupation or hobbies.

Lastly though, if you tell someone you're a vegan and they then automatically assume that you're a Greens supporter, you should maybe let them know that Bob Brown himself isn't a vegetarian. While the Greens party does advocate animal welfare (i.e. trying to ban live-export), they are ultimately quite anthropocentric and ecocentric in their values, rather than animal-centric.
ReplyQuote

Tiah Tiah SA Posts: 45
4 25 Nov 2011
I know exactly what you mean! So many people instantly assume I'm the biggest freak. When I mentioned to some new friends I was vegetarian they're like "Oh... okay.. As long as your not vegan. I hate vegans." Instant stereotype right there.

And really, I love animals, but I also love having a good time, drinking with friends, listening to heavy music and also love cars. Every vegan is different, there's just a few which make everyone think we're all extreme.
ReplyQuote

Spacepeanut Spacepeanut QLD Posts: 120
5 25 Nov 2011
You and me both! ecstatic
ReplyQuote

Spacepeanut Spacepeanut QLD Posts: 120
6 25 Nov 2011
The above message is in regards to the beer-swilling, footy etc... I'm still getting the hang of the 'reply' vs 'quote' thing :p
ReplyQuote

Chewie Chewie NSW Posts: 521
7 25 Nov 2011
I'm a staunch atheist, pro-choice, very outgoing, have an incredibly sick sense of humour and love my beer (mmm, Coopers Pale Ale - thank you for being vegan!).

So when people find out I'm vegan, their responses are usually of disbelief: "But... You're normal? You're not a wacky hippie who forces their views down people's throats?"

If they find out I'm vegan before they get to know me or meet me they generally assume the very opposite of what I am!
ReplyQuote

Christina3 Christina3 NSW Posts: 128
8 25 Nov 2011
I think a lot of people automatically think pushy, preachy and arrogant when they think "vegan"

"Extreme" is the word I'm looking for. People think vegans are all pale and thin because they don't get enough nutrients or something. And they think that vegans just take every chance they get to tell people how disgusting they are for eating meat or something.

I think the main reason for this is that people are trying to make themselves feel better because they secretly feel a bit guilty for eating innocent animals and causing such suffering, and for choosing to be ignorant.
ReplyQuote

Glen Glen VIC Posts: 337
9 25 Nov 2011
If people instantly box you into some category, then I think their opinions ain't worth the breath that they're slurred with in the first place.

A-holes.
ReplyQuote

z1 z1 VIC Posts: 535
10 26 Nov 2011
I'm the kind who'll play a sensitive song on guitar then do burnouts in the maccas carpark. Best of both worlds.
If you dont want to be Stereotyped dont tell them you're vegan until they get to know you
ReplyQuote

< Prev
 [ 1 ]  [ 2 ] 

www.unleashed.org.au