Animals Australia Unleashed
Change the World Who Cares? Videos Take Action! The Animals Community Forum Shop Blog Display
1 2 3
Your E-Mail: O Password:
Login Help     |     Join for Free!     |     Hide This

Post a Reply

Are you a writer?

The Voiceless Writing Prize sponsored by Australian Ethical Investment

1 - 10 of 16 posts   1 | 2  

TheSixthStitch TheSixthStitch Aruba Posts: 988
1 1 Dec 2011
Australian writers are invited to give voice to the most vulnerable amongst us in a new writing prize established by Voiceless, the animal protection institute.

The Voiceless Writing Prize sponsored by Australian Ethical Investment is one of the most lucrative short story and non-fiction competitions in Australia, awarding a total prize pool of over $20,000.

The Prize is designed to advance public understanding of animal sentience, human animal relationships and the ethical treatment of animals.

Open to Australian citizens 18 and over, the Prize invites fiction and non-fiction pieces of 5-10,000 words, published or unpublished. Entries must focus on animals produced for food or found in the Australian environment.

A collection of the best pieces will be published by Publishing Partner on the Prize, Allen & Unwin, as a book and an e-book in 2012.

"There is a rich world literature which takes animals - their feelings, wishes and desires - seriously. As of this year, Voiceless will be awarding a prize to recognise the best Australian short fiction and non-fiction that has at it's heart the place of animals in the world we have made."
J. M. Coetzee            

The winner chosen by the judging panel will receive $15,000, while the public will vote for the Peoples Choice to receive $5,000. Voiceless Councillor Deborah Debnam together with Peter Debnam have generously sponsored the Peoples Choice for 2012, 2013, and 2014. All writers published in the collection will receive $500.

Voiceless thanks The Sydney Morning Herald for its support as Media Partner on the Prize.

Entries close 16 March 2012.

This is a unique opportunity to contribute to the growing public conversation on our sentient others, make your literary mark, and win a significant cash prize.
More information and submission details will be available soon from Allen & Unwin.

[source: http://www.voiceless.org.au/Grants/Misc/The_Voiceless_Writing_Prize_sponsored_by_Australian_Ethical_Investment.html]
ReplyQuote

Lotus Eater Lotus Eater QLD Posts: 60
2 1 Dec 2011
The Voiceless Writing Prize - ironically named as it gives no voice to people under eighteen.
ReplyQuote

3 1 Dec 2011
Shush you! You're supposed to be voiceless.
ReplyQuote

ShadowDoubt ShadowDoubt QLD Posts: 753
4 1 Dec 2011
I'm 15... i had one of my short stories published in a book and I can't participate in this. -.-
ReplyQuote

5 1 Dec 2011
Hmm I wonder if Animals Australia would be interested in doing something similar, but accessible to <18yrs?

(also, nice santa hat at the top of the webpage)
ReplyQuote

PurpleFae PurpleFae NSW Posts: 283
6 1 Dec 2011
Haha, suckers, I'm 22! tongue

And yeah, AA or some other body should do an 18 and under one.

I might enter this. I'm more of a film script writer but I really need to practice writing more in general so this will force me to. But I won't win. tongue
ReplyQuote

Casper.s2 Casper.s2 SA Posts: 1640
7 1 Dec 2011
storriiesss awww. can it be poems?
ReplyQuote

OinkMoo OinkMoo NSW Posts: 1340
8 1 Dec 2011
OMFG! this is so awsum ecstatic i have wrote a short story about animals raised for food totally excited to enter for this ~ it would be so amazing if it got published
ReplyQuote

carinaforkeeps carinaforkeeps NSW Posts: 484
9 1 Dec 2011
zomg. i'm in. better get writing!
ReplyQuote

Spacepeanut Spacepeanut QLD Posts: 120
10 1 Dec 2011
I'm busting my butt to finish a manuscript at the moment, but I'll certainly give the comp a shot. Thanks for posting this, Stitchy!
happy
ReplyQuote

< Prev
 [ 1 ]  [ 2 ] 

Unleashed

This page was printed from Animals Australia Unleashed's website (www.unleashed.org.au).