Animals Australia Unleashed
Change the World Who Cares? Videos Take Action! The Animals Community Forum Shop Blog Display
1 2 3
Your E-Mail: O Password:
Login Help     |     Join for Free!     |     Hide This

Post a Reply

I Hate Soy Milk

1 - 10 of 37 posts   1 | 2 | 3 | 4  

Lotus Eater Lotus Eater QLD Posts: 60
1 2 Dec 2011
I really do hate soy milk. I'll start drinking a glass (mixed with nesquik) thinking "this isn't so bad"; the more I drink the worst it tastes. By the time I'm finished the glass I have a disgusting taste in my mouth, just thinking about it for a few days after makes me feel sick. After a while I'm able to drink it again.

Has anyone else had any experience with hating soy milk and somehow learning to like it. I'm new to veganism and really need to learn to like this stuff.
ReplyQuote

Pinkhotstar Pinkhotstar QLD Posts: 163
2 2 Dec 2011
Lotus Eater said:
I really do hate soy milk. I'll start drinking a glass (mixed with nesquik) thinking "this isn't so bad"; the more I drink the worst it tastes. By the time I'm finished the glass I have a disgusting taste in my mouth, just thinking about it for a few days after makes me feel sick. After a while I'm able to drink it again.

Has anyone else had any experience with hating soy milk and somehow learning to like it. I'm new to veganism and really need to learn to like this stuff.
When I first went vegan I thought OMG how do I live without coffee. And I had never had Soy before, but the name made me want to gag. So was expecting it to make me want to vomit. Had my first soy coffee (and I make my coffees all with milk & heat in microwave) and thought mmm didn't make me want to vomit, so yay not to bad. But I do also use vanilla flav in my coffee so that helps. Then after about a week of it, I found myself not wanting to have coffee cause I just was getting over the taste. So I had about a week without it. And then I was craving coffee so I gave in had one, and ever since then I am fine with the taste of it. I drink like 3 litres a day. I don't know if my taste buds readjusted or the need for coffee is too strong, but I don't mind it any more.

My suggestion would be try heaps of different brands. They all have a bit of a dif taste. I use the So Good 99.9% fat free (or whatever its called, its in the red packaging). You could also try almond or oat milk. But I did not like them.
ReplyQuote

TheSixthStitch TheSixthStitch Aruba Posts: 988
3 2 Dec 2011
Pinkhotstar said:
My suggestion would be try heaps of different brands. They all have a bit of a dif taste. I use the So Good 99.9% fat free (or whatever its called, its in the red packaging). You could also try almond or oat milk. But I did not like them.
^ What she said, Lotus Eater (Opeth?).  When I first went vegan, I didn't like soy milk - until I tried different brands. I drink Vitasoy Calci-plus, but usually with cereal or tea. I can drink soy milk on its own, but I'm not a big fan of it. Never did like drinking milk on its own, even when I used to drink cow's milk.

I've heard it been mentioned that some people don't like soy milk because they try to liken it to cow's milk in taste - which is futile, because soy/rice/oat milk is its own taste and texture. Takes getting used to. Not sure as to the truth behind that claim, but I can see it happening.
ReplyQuote

Casper.s2 Casper.s2 SA Posts: 1640
4 2 Dec 2011
soy milk is gross... drink oat milk or rice milk.. or sperms
ReplyQuote

Lotus Eater Lotus Eater QLD Posts: 60
5 2 Dec 2011
I'm drinking Sanitarium's So Good Essential soy milk (that's the purple one). Does anyone know the difference between the colours on So Good soy milk cartons? Also I never liked drinking straight cow's milk anyway.

My mum also picked up Bonsoy, which I heard is supposed toi be quite good - though expensive.
ReplyQuote

PurpleFae PurpleFae NSW Posts: 283
6 2 Dec 2011
As long as it's not on it's own, I can drink soy milk of any brand in tea, coffee, breakfast dishes and cooking. I never really had a problem with the switch. One it's own, I have to get a flavoured soy milk but that was the same for me when I drank cow's milk too.
ReplyQuote

xMISSMONSTERx xMISSMONSTERx WA Posts: 2582
7 3 Dec 2011
Next time you go to the supermarket try 'soy milky'
It's the only brand I enjoy, it's creamy and has less of a 'soy' or 'floury' taste to it happy

I got used to it by making banana smoothies. I would at first add more vanilla bean or essence, and more sweetner (agave nectar). Every time I had a smoothie I would lessen the amount of vanilla and sweetner I use. Now for 2 large smoothies I only add about a teaspoon of vanilla and a tablespoon of agave.

You will get used to the flavour in time!
ReplyQuote

Casper.s2 Casper.s2 SA Posts: 1640
8 3 Dec 2011
is it just me of did this person not just say they hate soy milk?

ok so...

not all soy milk is vegan.. so don't assume that...

my friend has been getting cafe vitasoy in his coffee at glorias for ages...

they know he is vegan...

then they switched to the calci+ version..

i'm not sure but is that the purple one your asking about?

Because I looked into it for him....

and the calcium is from rocks... BUT it just happens that the Vitamin E used... is from fish I think.. or something animal based.

I bought soy milk enriched with chickpea for calcium..... im now thinking maybe eating heaps of brocoli or tablets is the way,,, it is so gross tasting haha i have to make smoothies to make it drink able.

anyway... try oat milk.. (not with the hint of honey like I get if your not into that)... rice milk is nice too...

anyway... you could just have water with cereal... but eat it faster as it gets soggy quicker
ReplyQuote

cassie2 cassie2 VIC Posts: 212
9 3 Dec 2011
i really like to drink bon soy milk except its a bit expensive 4 bucks a carton. i also like to drink vitasoy milk. or have you considered making your own soy milk? thats food for thought. soy milk maker good investment not that I have one.
ReplyQuote

Janine Janine NSW Posts: 232
10 3 Dec 2011
I hated soy milk when I tried so good, but when i switched to vita soy lite I loved it. As mentioned above, try different brands or yes switch to rice, oat or almond happy
ReplyQuote

< Prev
 [ 1 ]  [ 2 ]  [ 3 ]  [ 4 ] 

www.unleashed.org.au