Animals Australia Unleashed
Change the World Who Cares? Videos Take Action! The Animals Community Forum Shop Blog Display
1 2 3
Your E-Mail: O Password:
Login Help     |     Join for Free!     |     Hide This

Post a Reply

Rescuing Farm animals

1 - 10 of 15 posts   1 | 2  

RawVegan RawVegan QLD Posts: 10
1 5 Dec 2011
Right now I live around Brisbane but I am moving to the mountains (Toowoomba) by January.
How can I go about rescuing or fostering battery hens, or poultry.  Are there any animal rescue places in Qld? I don't mind if it's a little out of my reach, but if there are any in Qld that would help. Could I also rescue them directly? What are some chicken factory farms that I could buy them from? Later when I buy huge acreage I would love to accommodate more rescue animals, what are some piggery and cattle farms that I could buy off, or take off their hands, where do they hold calves to sell, downed animals, etc. How much could the animals go for? I just want to make some lives better, and when I get to the massive acreage I want to start up a farm sanctuary.love

Thanks so much for any input.  beaverhug
ReplyQuote

Lancastrian Lancastrian VIC Posts: 310
2 5 Dec 2011
RawVegan said:
Right now I live around Brisbane but I am moving to the mountains (Toowoomba) by January.
How can I go about rescuing or fostering battery hens, or poultry.
Look at the Battery Hen Adoption project, it's based in South East Queensland:
www.homesforhens.net
If that's not near you, I'm sure they'll be able to help you.

You might also want to try the VVSQ forum as well.
http://vegsoc.org.au/forum_active.asp
ReplyQuote

Deespark Deespark QLD Posts: 328
3 5 Dec 2011
Heh... I live around toowoomba. I know just outside of toowoomba in highfeilds I think, there is some produce place that sells chickens that inghams didn't want to use, not sure why they didn't, we got ours from there and they are good looking chickens to me.

Aside from that, what above said. Also the rspca often has chickens in, though they aren't from factory farms.
ReplyQuote

4 5 Dec 2011
Deespark said:
Heh... I live around toowoomba. I know just outside of toowoomba in highfeilds I think, there is some produce place that sells chickens that inghams didn't want to use, not sure why they didn't, we got ours from there and they are good looking chickens to me.
That's weird. Probably because they didn't treat them cruelly enough.. doesn't have that disinct cruel flavor?  confused

Hmm I will see, sounds good. How much did they cost?

This is completely off topic but, whats it like living up in toowoomba? I was worried about how cold it would be for my animals, guinea pigs, and of course the rescued chickens. Also, where were the floods in toowoomba, because I heard that it took houses off their foundations etc. Where didn't the floods go, where didn't it do damage?
ReplyQuote

5 5 Dec 2011
Lancastrian said:
RawVegan said:
www.homesforhens.net

Yeah that helps a lot. Do you have any idea where they rescue their hens from? Just curious, I have no idea where Australian factory farms are... especially piggie and chick ones.  confused
ReplyQuote

Deespark Deespark QLD Posts: 328
6 5 Dec 2011
RawVegan said:
Deespark said:
That's weird. Probably because they didn't treat them cruelly enough.. doesn't have that disinct cruel flavor?  confused

Hmm I will see, sounds good. How much did they cost?

This is completely off topic but, whats it like living up in toowoomba? I was worried about how cold it would be for my animals, guinea pigs, and of course the rescued chickens. Also, where were the floods in toowoomba, because I heard that it took houses off their foundations etc. Where didn't the floods go, where didn't it do damage?
They do seem like maybe they weren't put through enough cruelty... Umm I think they cost about $15, but my mum paid for them.

My guinea pigs are mostly inside here, though where I live it is a few degrees colder then in toowoomba, and mine did fine outside with plenty of bedding and towels over the cage etc. And my chickens do just fine with their coop. I have wondered whether chickens even feel cold, mine will be waddling around outside just going about their business on rainy, windy, freezing cold days.
Not to sure where the floods were to be honest, because I am horrible with knowing about my own area aha. I think the worst of it was near grand central, and the surrounding streets (grand central is the biggest shopping center, has a bunch of shops around it. Though most of toowoomba got flooded I think, some were more then others. The main problem is toowoomba has horrible drainage, after just a light rain the stormwater drains are over flowing. If we had proper drainage, there wouldn't be quite so much risk, there is currently a petition going on to get the council to fix them. They are bound to fix them sooner or later though, once they do, there shouldn't be to much worry.
I mean there shouldn't be to much worry though, that was the first flood since I have lived near there, which is about 8 years.
And overall toowoomba is well... Ok most people aren't huge fans, but most people have also lived here for ages, so they probably are over being in the same place.
ReplyQuote

OinkMoo OinkMoo NSW Posts: 1340
7 5 Dec 2011
Going to Livestock auctions is a good place to start, at hobby farm sales there is generally poultry, pigs and sheep that are in need of homes. Prices for poultry start around $2-5.

You can also contact your local egg supplyer company and organize to purchase a few hens.
ReplyQuote

8 6 Dec 2011
OinkMoo said:
Going to Livestock auctions is a good place to start, at hobby farm sales there is generally poultry, pigs and sheep that are in need of homes. Prices for poultry start around $2-5.

You can also contact your local egg supplyer company and organize to purchase a few hens.
I'd consider purchasing animals is perpetuing the industry. Personally I'd prefer to get 'rescued' animals.
ReplyQuote

9 6 Dec 2011
RawVegan said:
Lancastrian said:
RawVegan said:
www.homesforhens.net

Yeah that helps a lot. Do you have any idea where they rescue their hens from? Just curious, I have no idea where Australian factory farms are... especially piggie and chick ones.  confused
Sorry I don't know, try the VVSQ forum or contact homes for hens, they might tell you.
ReplyQuote

OinkMoo OinkMoo NSW Posts: 1340
10 6 Dec 2011
Lancastrian said:
OinkMoo said:

I'd consider purchasing animals is perpetuing the industry. Personally I'd prefer to get 'rescued' animals.
Farmers/companys dont just give away livestock ( unless its a very rare ocassion ) if they can still make money off the final product eg. carcass. It is very rare ocassions that you find farm animals wondering around - and regardless when you get a animal off a farm you still have to pay for it and that money goes straight back to the farmer. Yes i know the money from animals at auctions goes back to the farmers but if you see the state the animals are in at auctions they are in dying need of rescuing ( literally )  

Please suggest how to rescue farm animals with out purchasing them off the farmer/owner/company?
ReplyQuote

< Prev
 [ 1 ]  [ 2 ] 

www.unleashed.org.au