Animals Australia Unleashed
Change the World Who Cares? Videos Take Action! The Animals Community Forum Shop Blog Display
1 2 3
Your E-Mail: O Password:
Login Help     |     Join for Free!     |     Hide This

Post a Reply

My doggie has welt like things on her belly?

And has been scratching..

1 - 10 of 17 posts   1 | 2  

ShadowDoubt ShadowDoubt QLD Posts: 753
1 17 Dec 2011
Hey guys love
My beautiful baby Lily [she's a dachshund] has been scratching for ages now! We took her to the vet and she gave us some antibiotics which she finished. She said it might have been a contact allergy from grass or something she's eaten.
Anyway, she has been scratching more and more and I gave her a bath 2 days ago in some special Oatmeal shampoo the vet gave us, and it seemed to settle her down for a day or two. Today when I picked her up, I noticed she has large red/purpley/brown welts on her tummy and around her armpits! We put some cream on them but they look nasty ):

Has anyone had this before with their doggies? She's nearly 7 but the vet said her health is perfect otherwise, just needs to lose some weight. tongue Any advice will be appreciated!

Thanks guys!
xo Grace
ReplyQuote

lyds lyds NSW Posts: 300
2 17 Dec 2011
did the vet not say what it was?
get it checked out could be serious
ReplyQuote

Beemo Beemo United States Posts: 1259
3 17 Dec 2011
Aloveen is the shampoo and conditioner you're using?
My old dog used to get a skin irritation from the grass in summer and that fixed it right up.
I would also try and mow your lawn often to keep the grass as short as possible - this really helped our dogs irritation.

The welts could also possibly be from flea bites. Our puppy had fleas once and she had welts all over her tummy. We're now treating her with advantix and she hasn't had any since.

If you see no improvement then I would give the vet a call and see what he/she thinks.

EDIT: Also dogs, just like people, can have allergic reactions to food. Try and think if you have been feeding your dog anything new as this could have possibly caused the reaction.
ReplyQuote

4 17 Dec 2011
lyds said:
did the vet not say what it was?
get it checked out could be serious
A contact allergy most likely; that's why she gave us the tablets for her. We'll get it checked out again.
ReplyQuote

5 17 Dec 2011
Abbiesaurus said:
Aloveen is the shampoo and conditioner you're using?
My old dog used to get a skin irritation from the grass in summer and that fixed it right up.
I would also try and mow your lawn often to keep the grass as short as possible - this really helped our dogs irritation.

The welts could also possibly be from flea bites. Our puppy had fleas once and she had welts all over her tummy. We're now treating her with advantix and she hasn't had any since.

If you see no improvement then I would give the vet a call and see what he/she thinks.

EDIT: Also dogs, just like people, can have allergic reactions to food. Try and think if you have been feeding your dog anything new as this could have possibly caused the reaction.
Yeah it's the Aloveen one, smells amazing haha. It could be the grass, cause she's really low to the ground.. It's not fleas, she doesn't have them & we keep her clean and use flea control.
Thanks for your help Abbie! happy
ReplyQuote

weaselbritches weaselbritches WA Posts: 36
6 18 Dec 2011
I second the allergy thing.  My dog is allergic to tuna.  She comes out in massive hives that look like bubble wrap under her fur.
ReplyQuote

Jacqui T Jacqui T NSW Posts: 796
7 18 Dec 2011
It could be a reaction to irritation on the skin, my oldest girl is allergic to grass and fleas so she usually gets welts from that. Malaseb bath is pretty awesome, quite expensive but does the trick and helps with a lot of dermalogical problems. Get her checked out but thats what I recommend for a soothing shampoo- just once a week or more if it gets worse.
ReplyQuote

8 18 Dec 2011
Thanks guys happy

She has bitten at the base of her tail so much tonight it's bled. We've taking her back to the vet tomorrow though, hopefully we find out what it is.

love
ReplyQuote

Jacqui T Jacqui T NSW Posts: 796
9 18 Dec 2011
Ohh thats really not good. Have they done a skin scraping yet?
ReplyQuote

10 18 Dec 2011
Jacqui T said:
Ohh thats really not good. Have they done a skin scraping yet?
Not yet, hopefully the vet will tomorrow. Poor baby ):
ReplyQuote

< Prev
 [ 1 ]  [ 2 ] 

www.unleashed.org.au