Animals Australia Unleashed
Change the World Who Cares? Videos Take Action! The Animals Community Forum Shop Blog Display
1 2 3
Your E-Mail: O Password:
Login Help     |     Join for Free!     |     Hide This

Post a Reply

maggi noodles!

1 - 10 of 23 posts   1 | 2 | 3  

le gabrielle le gabrielle QLD Posts: 214
1 17 Dec 2011
the other day i was really craving instant noodles. healthy, i know wink but i wasn't sure if i could eat them, so i didn't indulge the requests of my tastebuds. instead i emailed maggi about their oriental flavoured noodles, inquiring as to whether or not they're vegan.
the reply i got said that they don't contain any animal products, but the noodles are processed on the same facilities that process food containing milk/egg/whatever.
so i guess it's up to you to decide whether or not that classifies as vegan, but it's good enough for me happy
ReplyQuote

Janine Janine NSW Posts: 232
2 17 Dec 2011
does that include the oriental flavour sachet?
ReplyQuote

3 17 Dec 2011
Here's a copy of the reply i got.

Hi Gabbi,

Thank you for contacting our office regarding MAGGI 2 Minute Noodles Oriental flavour.

There are no animal or dairy ingredients that are formulated into the product, however,  the noodles have been made on equipment that also processes products containing  celery, crustacea, fish, milk ,mustard and sesame and therefore may not be classified as suitable for vegans.

For more information on our products, promotions, nutrition, health and wellness, we invite you to visit our website www.nestle.com.au

Should you have any further queries, please do not hesitate to contact us again.

Sincerely,

Melissa Hickey
FOOD ADVISER
ReplyQuote

4 17 Dec 2011
Cool, looks like the chicken one is vegan too then considering the only real differences are the tumeric and caramel I, don't know why they call it Chicken! Stupid.
ReplyQuote

5 17 Dec 2011
actually - not sure about the 631???
ReplyQuote

Emilia Emilia WA Posts: 285
6 18 Dec 2011
E631        
Disodium inosinate        

May be prepared from meat or sardines; not permitted in foods for infants and young children. Gout sufferers avoid.  It is found in instant noodles, potato chips and snacks, savoury rice, tinned vegetables, cured meats, packet soup.  Asthmatic people should avoid inosinates. As inosinates are metabolised to purines, they should be avoided by people suffering from gout. Frequently contains MSG(621).
ReplyQuote

Emilia Emilia WA Posts: 285
7 18 Dec 2011
Here are the ingredients of Maggi Oriental Flavoured Noodles

Ingredients
NOODLES: WHEAT FLOUR, TAPIOCA STARCH, VEGETABLE OIL (ANTIOXIDANT (320)), IODISED SALT, MINERAL SALTS (508, 451, 501, 500, 452), VEGETABLE GUM (412), COLOUR (RIBOFLAVIN)

FLAVOUR MIX SACHET: FLAVOUR ENHANCERS (621, 635, 631), SOY SAUCE POWDER (CONTAINS WHEAT, SOY), NATURAL FLAVOURS (CONTAINS WHEAT, SOY), IODISED SALT, ONION POWDER (CONTAINS SULPHITES ), MINERAL SALT (508), SUGAR,

GARLIC POWDER, COLOUR (CARAMEL I), VEGETABLE FAT (ANTIOXIDANT (320)), SPICE, FOOD ACID (CITRIC).

CONTAINS  WHEAT, SOY AND SULPHITES.

MADE ON EQUIPMENT THAT ALSO PROCESSES PRODUCTS CONTAINING MILK , CRUSTACEA, FISH, CELERY, MUSTARD AND SESAME

So, they lied. It isn't vegan. It may not contain any meat, by the "numbers" 631 and 635 are made from animal products.
ReplyQuote

8 18 Dec 2011
barbecue shapes have flavour enhancer 635 in it, which arnotts states is from a plant sauce.
also..
631 - Disodium Inosinate. A flavour enhancer, often prepared from meat extract and dried sardines. It can also be a synthetic product made via a microbial synthesis process that begins with a vegetable source.
http://www.vnv.org.au/site/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=85&Itemid=97  

not trying to be nasty or anything, but i think i'll go with the company on this one.
ReplyQuote

..1 ..1 TAS Posts: 2265
9 18 Dec 2011
All those emulsifiers, colours, flavours, preservatives, etc, are they what some vegans call 'micro ingredients'? If so, then some vegans choose to ignore micro ingredients, and would consider those noodles to be suitable for vegans to eat.

However, I suppose it all comes down to personal choice. I wouldn't eat them, because last time I ate noodles they had a really strong plastic taste, but if you want to eat them, and don't feel comfortable about the flavouring sachet ingredients, just use a bit of powdered vegetable stock. It works well, and they taste like chicken noodles.

I heard Mi Goreng noodles are vegan, too.
ReplyQuote

Taxidermied Baphomet Taxidermied Baphomet NSW Posts: 292
10 18 Dec 2011
Hey dosnt the nestle company do animal testing? Or was it just nestle tea? Im guessing same company?
ReplyQuote

< Prev
 [ 1 ]  [ 2 ]  [ 3 ] 

www.unleashed.org.au