Animals Australia Unleashed
Change the World Who Cares? Videos Take Action! The Animals Community Forum Shop Blog Display
1 2 3
Your E-Mail: O Password:
Login Help     |     Join for Free!     |     Hide This

Post a Reply

Baby Death by Veganism. - Articles.

Opinions?

1 - 10 of 15 posts   1 | 2  

xAshlee xAshlee TAS Posts: 722
1 24 Dec 2011
www.naturalhygienesociety.org/diet-veganbaby.html
and
www.nytimes.com/2007/05/21/opinion/21planck.html

gahh. Heres my opinion  - i dont think 'veganism' itself should be blamed here - these kids are hardly eating anything. I know we have some vegan mums on here - im interested for your thoughts on this.

And arn't all babies vegetarians by default seeing as they cant physically eat meat until about 7 months?
I know they drink their meat-eating mums milk but they dont proper 'eat' it. unless pureed and apprently thats foul.
ReplyQuote

Casper.s2 Casper.s2 SA Posts: 1640
2 24 Dec 2011
wonder if aloe vera gel and malt extract could constitute sustainable baby food?

Aloe Vera gel has all the essential amino acids and malt has most the B vitamins and stuff.

Hmm hmm nmm

But yeah I'd have to say parenting, as it has been done before successfully,
unless this baby was raised on a heritage of carnivores and it has evolved,
to NEED those elements to become a hulk or snow pony, then IDK.
ReplyQuote

Vegan-Lisa Vegan-Lisa SA Posts: 164
3 24 Dec 2011
So I read both of those articles and whilst I too am very interested in hearing from vegan mummys I would like to say although it worries me I think the articles are a load of rubbish. Completely choosing on purpose to pin point the vegan factor. Wonder how much money or how many holidays they got paid to write that? I think on any diet it is highly possible to not be nutritious enough. I think these people made a mistake and it can happen to anyone. It's just sad because they wouldn't write up a story of a meat eater doing something - I believe . They took the opportunity of someones mistake to publicly slander them to turn more people away from veganism, bcos the government isn't yet clever enough to figure a way of making  as much money off fruits n veg etc as it does meat and dairy industry. I do believe breast feeding is important and giving yourself enough nutrition to provide thru breast milk highly important - all common sense really. Imagine how many stories on healthy vegan mums and babies are out there but Just aren't heard of publicly.   Looking forward to hearing some other replies , peace , have a good day happy xoxo
ReplyQuote

4 24 Dec 2011
They can only dramatise the difference.

People dying in general is not fresh or new for people to pay to read about,
or to read about or be exposed to... but someone should tell that to The News.

But yeah the solution lays more in realising instances of so called healthy,
omnivore, main stream infant death as worth solving, as apposed to...
finding something new and exciting to blame that we can then "do something about"..

Apparently can't do anything about attitudes... or entrenched moronism.
ReplyQuote

..1 ..1 TAS Posts: 2265
5 24 Dec 2011
"The couple believed all Areni needed was "sunshine and fruit"."

If I lived off sunshine and fruit I'd probably be dead, too. That's not veganism, that's stupidity.
ReplyQuote

shhhjess shhhjess WA Posts: 39
6 24 Dec 2011
"There are no vegan societies for a simple reason: a vegan diet is not adequate in the long run."

That really, really annoys me! I don't know about the rest of you, but I am definitely healthier on my vegan diet. It's even cured my really bad asthma.
ReplyQuote

Leila9 Leila9 QLD Posts: 49
7 24 Dec 2011
jess. said:
"There are no vegan societies for a simple reason: a vegan diet is not adequate in the long run."

That really, really annoys me! I don't know about the rest of you, but I am definitely healthier on my vegan diet. It's even cured my really bad asthma.
I haven't read the articles, mainly because I'll get angry over it. I cant believe that quote is allowed to be published, as it simply isn't true!! There have been many studies saying a vegan diet is more benefical and more healthy.
ReplyQuote

8 26 Dec 2011
Sounds like writers are wiping their ass with newspaper these days, they probably spend all their expressive time making origami while sitting on the toilet.
ReplyQuote

RaV3N RaV3N WA Posts: 2152
9 31 Dec 2011
U_U sigh.

Although my daughter will be raised vegetarian (my partner is vego), certain things aren't introduced into their diet until 9-12mths - such as dairy, eggs, honey and sometimes meat (depending on how many teeth said child has and if they can chew it, etc) so technically they are usually veg*n anyway!!

What annoys me is this: "WHEN Crown Shakur died of starvation, he was 6 weeks old and weighed 3.5 pounds. His vegan parents, who fed him mainly soy milk and apple juice, were convicted in Atlanta recently of murder, involuntary manslaughter and cruelty."

WHY THE F**K IS A 6WK OLD BEING FED SOY MILK AND APPLE JUICE?!?!?! That's just stupidity!!! FFS. Soy milk isn't intended for kids under 2 due to the lack of fat in it, for starters. If you aren't or can't breast feed then put the baby on a formula. There are veg*n formulas!! Ally was born 8.5 pounds too (3.875kg). At 7wks she weighed 5.7kg. So to see your child weigh less than it's birth weight 6wks after birth, that's where someone needs to step in. Anything more than a 10% of total weight loss is where the doctors start to intervene. This just sickens me that people would be that stupid.

Also if you are breastfeeding, and you know your stuff, you know that you should be taking a multivitamin to ensure your milk has enough iron, B12, omegas, etc etc etc, as that's the only way your baby is going to get them.

Ok I will stop now. Not only because this angers me, but my daughter is stirring for a midnight snack wink
ReplyQuote

Scuba-addict Scuba-addict United Kingdom Posts: 107
10 31 Dec 2011
RaV3N said:
U_U sigh.

Although my daughter will be raised vegetarian (my partner is vego), certain things aren't introduced into their diet until 9-12mths - such as dairy, eggs, honey and sometimes meat (depending on how many teeth said child has and if they can chew it, etc) so technically they are usually veg*n anyway!!

What annoys me is this: "WHEN Crown Shakur died of starvation, he was 6 weeks old and weighed 3.5 pounds. His vegan parents, who fed him mainly soy milk and apple juice, were convicted in Atlanta recently of murder, involuntary manslaughter and cruelty."

WHY THE F**K IS A 6WK OLD BEING FED SOY MILK AND APPLE JUICE?!?!?! That's just stupidity!!! FFS. Soy milk isn't intended for kids under 2 due to the lack of fat in it, for starters. If you aren't or can't breast feed then put the baby on a formula. There are veg*n formulas!! Ally was born 8.5 pounds too (3.875kg). At 7wks she weighed 5.7kg. So to see your child weigh less than it's birth weight 6wks after birth, that's where someone needs to step in. Anything more than a 10% of total weight loss is where the doctors start to intervene. This just sickens me that people would be that stupid.

Also if you are breastfeeding, and you know your stuff, you know that you should be taking a multivitamin to ensure your milk has enough iron, B12, omegas, etc etc etc, as that's the only way your baby is going to get them.

Ok I will stop now. Not only because this angers me, but my daughter is stirring for a midnight snack wink
Nice post happy

The article bugs me. Its incredibly anti-vegan and makes it sound like a vegan lifestyle kills people. Well, you only have to pop on over here to see thats  not true wink

Though some of them are idiots, and should've seeked proper nutrtional advice for raising new born babys vegan. I feel incredibly sorry for those parents.

Not only did they lose a child, but they were convicted for manslaughter....of their own child. Very sad sad

Social services need to start intervening PROPERLY. Non of this 'well we sent you a letter' shit.
ReplyQuote

< Prev
 [ 1 ]  [ 2 ] 

www.unleashed.org.au