Animals Australia Unleashed
Change the World Who Cares? Videos Take Action! The Animals Community Forum Shop Blog Display
1 2 3
Your E-Mail: O Password:
Login Help     |     Join for Free!     |     Hide This

Post a Reply

The Bug Shop

australian company making bugs in lollies and chocolate

11 - 20 of 35 posts   1 | 2 | 3 | 4  

4_da_animals1 4_da_animals1 SA Posts: 3293
11 24 Jul 2012
Maggie said:
I absolutely hate meal worms. They seriously freak me out.  I think eating a lolly with one in it would be enough to kill me. If I never have to touch a meal worm again, I will be very happy.

And chocolate covered bugs in a petri dish? Seriously? I can't believe people are actually buying this stuff.
This kind of thing isn't new, it used to be a trend in the past in fact.
Heston, the cook has made dessert bugs for his alice in wonderland themed party, and the guests enjoyed them.
I don't see any difference between this and average gelatine lollies, considering how gelatine is made, doesn't surprise me.
ReplyQuote

12 24 Jul 2012
Shorty said:
How many people on unleashed have already admitted to still killing spiders, cockroaches, ect anyways?

I know they're still animals and you could say its as bad as killing a cow (though I doubt many could truly think that, we're are all specists to a degree), but I don't think hate mail was really necessary.

Just a email, curiously asking about the insects and what she actually does could have had the same result.
The cockroaches in our house are recycled into my brother's pet lizard's stomach.
Spiders, I like and have no issue with, so I reloocate them outside wink
ReplyQuote

Shorty Shorty QLD Posts: 479
14 24 Jul 2012
je ne comprends pas said:
I can of course understand the conservation side, but I don't agree with putting insects into candy. I guess it's the age-old debate, if you love them why or how can you eat them?
Exactly.

Though I've just come to believing that people can love animals differently. We can say that you can't truly love animals without being vegan, but try telling someone that they don't really love their pet. They'll think you're an idiot tongue
ReplyQuote

Andrewxxx Andrewxxx VIC Posts: 272
15 24 Jul 2012
Seriously, who cares? The worlds full of factory farms and everyone's worried about a few insect lollies. I probably killed more insects on my way to work this morning. No wonder nobody takes vegans seriously.
ReplyQuote

Shorty Shorty QLD Posts: 479
16 24 Jul 2012
Andrewxxx said:
Seriously, who cares? The worlds full of factory farms and everyone's worried about a few insect lollies. I probably killed more insects on my way to work this morning. No wonder nobody takes vegans seriously.
Pretty much...
ReplyQuote

17 25 Jul 2012
Shorty said:
Andrewxxx said:
Pretty much...
I have no issue with people believing in avoiding cruelty to insects as well, it's their beliefs and opinions. I have a problem when people get super fanatical and start attacking others for not sharing that opinion before thinking of having a reasoned discussion.
ReplyQuote

GoldAutumn GoldAutumn NSW Posts: 137
18 26 Jul 2012
Andrewxxx said:
I thought it was interesting. I don't agree with it. But i wouldn't send hate mail about it. I would simply avoid having anything to do with it personally.

Caring about lives, any lives, isn't sad or pathetic. Yes factory farms are a much bigger problem, but having compassion for these insects as well isn't wrong. If i'm walking down the street and i see a line of ants i will step over them, not on them. Sometimes you can't avoid things like that when driving etc. I certainly wouldn't run down a cow or anything i could see! I will swerve, safely, for birds on the road. Cows aren't more important than insects just because they're bigger.

People tend not to take vegans seriously because they don't understand why we think the way we think, feel the way we feel etc. They were raised and conditioned in certain ways and for some people straying from that course is too terrifying and obtuse for them. I find people that aren't vegans or vegetarians hard to understand or communicate with, to me, they are the terrifying ones.
ReplyQuote

...2 ...2 WA Posts: 2307
19 26 Jul 2012
This doesn't really have the "EW" factor for me as it does a lot of you. C'mon, guys, have you never seen a bottle of mezcal with a scorpion or worm in it? Stuff like this has been happening for ages.

Like the rest of you, I don't eat products with carmine or shellac in them, but I'm not going to go sending hate mail to this company. It won't achieve anything.
ReplyQuote

Andrewxxx Andrewxxx VIC Posts: 272
20 26 Jul 2012
GoldAutumn said:
People tend not to take vegans seriously because they don't understand why we think the way we think, feel the way we feel etc. They were raised and conditioned in certain ways and for some people straying from that course is too terrifying and obtuse for them. I find people that aren't vegans or vegetarians hard to understand or communicate with, to me, they are the terrifying ones.
People don't take vegans seriously because on the whole we tend to be overly emotional and irrational and this is a pretty good example of that.

Insects don't feel pain, how is it any different to eating plants? I don't eat them because it's unnecessary but I can't see how it's anything like eating birds, mammals etc.
ReplyQuote

[ 1 ]  [ 2 ]  [ 3 ]  [ 4 ] 

www.unleashed.org.au