Animals Australia Unleashed
Change the World Who Cares? Videos Take Action! The Animals Community Forum Shop Blog Display
1 2 3
Your E-Mail: O Password:
Login Help     |     Join for Free!     |     Hide This

Post a Reply

The Bug Shop

australian company making bugs in lollies and chocolate

21 - 30 of 35 posts   1 | 2 | 3 | 4  

..1 ..1 TAS Posts: 2265
21 26 Jul 2012
Andrewxxx said:
Insects don't feel pain, how is it any different to eating plants?
Just because they don't experience pain the way we do doesn't mean that they are instantly an inferior group of species, who are the exception to our rule of humane treatment to animals. They are nothing like plants, it is extremely different, you're comparing apples to oranges.

I wonder if everyone on this thread, who is basically saying that it's okay to kill and consume insects, eat honey? Or are bees the only insects that we care about?
ReplyQuote

Beemo Beemo United States Posts: 1259
22 26 Jul 2012
^ I don't think anyone is saying its okay, they are just saying that it isn't as big of a deal as factory farming and we should be focusing more on the bigger issues.
ReplyQuote

Andrewxxx Andrewxxx VIC Posts: 272
23 26 Jul 2012
Maggie said:
Andrewxxx said:
Insects don't feel pain, how is it any different to eating plants?
Just because they don't experience pain the way we do doesn't mean that they are instantly an inferior group of species, who are the exception to our rule of humane treatment to animals. They are nothing like plants, it is extremely different, you're comparing apples to oranges.

I wonder if everyone on this thread, who is basically saying that it's okay to kill and consume insects, eat honey? Or are bees the only insects that we care about?
I never said they were inferior, there's no such thing as superior or inferior species. But I do think it makes more sense to draw the line at what feels pain as opposed to what can walk and what can't.
ReplyQuote

Bugshop Bugshop NSW Posts: 2
24 27 Jul 2012
I think you guys may be missing the point. I never said insects are inferior, I think insects are extremely important in our environment and without them, the world simply wouldn't be able to work!

What I object to, is sending me hate mail for something you know nothing about. Just because I don't have the same beliefs as you doesn't mean I'm wrong...the same way as you're not wrong for not thinking the same way as me, we are just different.

If eating bugs isn't for you...then don't give it a second thought. Eating bugs isn't for everyone, including most meat eaters.

I have a degree in entomology as well as a degree in food science, so I completely understand the nutritional aspects and advantages of eating bugs, as well as their importance in our ecosystem.

Just to give you an idea about eating bugs. Everyone on this forum will eat approx 1/4 kg of bugs or parts of bugs in the regular foods you eat everyday.

The FDA and Australian food standards actually makes allowances for the number if insects certain products are allowed to have in them by law.

You are allowed to have 220 parts of insects in every 200g of pasta.
In orange juice you are allowed to have 1 maggot or 5 fly eggs per 250ml
Broccoli Is allowed to have 60 aphids per 100g
Cinnamon 60 parts of insects per 10g
Wheat flour 150 parts of insects per 100g

There are actually more parts of insects in organic foods as well.
ReplyQuote

OinkMoo OinkMoo NSW Posts: 1340
25 27 Jul 2012
Bugshop said:
Wow i feel sick - i love orange juice, well any juice really - i think i would of been better not knowing about that tongue

If you dont mind me asking but how do you kill the insects?
ReplyQuote

Beemo Beemo United States Posts: 1259
26 27 Jul 2012
Bugshop said:

There are actually more parts of insects in organic foods as well.
Very interesting. I knew bugs in food was unavoidable, but never knew what the limits were.
I wonder how much B12 exactly people get from eating bugs in food.
ReplyQuote

Operator Operator QLD Posts: 58
27 29 Jul 2012
Casper.s2 said:
but yeah... animals eat bugs why can't animals?
Ahhh the ol' "It's justified because humans are animals" argument. When you show me where the lions keep their factory-farmed meats at the supermarket, this might have merit. I'd also like to point out that ducks participate in necrophilia... So I guess you think that's ok too because it's natural? Why is it ok to eat other animals... But not humans? I'm betting your argument will be something along the lines of "Oh, because we're NOT like animals."
Lol.

Bugshop said:
For the record I work very hard to promote the conservation of bugs in our ecosystem.
Getting people to accept eating bugs isn't exactly going to help them stay in the eco system.

Bugshop said:
Part of my business is selling edible bugs, we breed these bugs specifically for human consumption, we no not sell live edible bugs, they are killed humanely before we send them out to our customers so that we can guarantee they do not suffer.
"Humane slaughter is like giving someone a back massage and stabbing them in the neck while justifying it by saying 'Well, you were pretty happy until I stabbed you in the neck.'"

Andrewxxx said:
Seriously, who cares? The worlds full of factory farms and everyone's worried about a few insect lollies. I probably killed more insects on my way to work this morning. No wonder nobody takes vegans seriously.
Are you saying people can only care about one issue at a time? So... By this rationale, if you walked by someone on the street and saw they were getting robbed, you wouldn't step in or call 000 because somewhere in the world a kid is starving or a person just lost their job?

- - -

I know that I'm going to swallow spiders when I sleep, insects are killed all the time randomly, derp derp derp. It's the same as tractor deaths, or building homes. The difference is that the animals aren't being bred specifically just so you can decide when they die because they might be tasty.

Edit: Also, to those saying with certainty that insects feel no pain it is actually a debated topic in the etymology universe that there is no certainty on. It is generally agreed upon that they can feel sensations, so it's not completely out of the question that they can be pained.
ReplyQuote

Kelsey1 MsDrago Kelsey1 MsDrago United States Posts: 818
28 29 Jul 2012
I love bugs SOOO much !But putting them in lollypops is just plain cruelty. Are you sure this lady loves bugs?
ReplyQuote

29 29 Jul 2012
What??!!! We care! And of COURSE bugs feel pain I study them 24/7!
ReplyQuote

30 29 Jul 2012
Ardrewwexx, I study bugs and everything you just said was very VERY wrong.
ReplyQuote

[ 1 ]  [ 2 ]  [ 3 ]  [ 4 ] 

www.unleashed.org.au