Animals Australia Unleashed
Change the World Who Cares? Videos Take Action! The Animals Community Forum Shop Blog Display
1 2 3
Your E-Mail: O Password:
Login Help     |     Join for Free!     |     Hide This

Post a Reply

Spiders, Spiders Everywhere!

1 - 10 of 12 posts   1 | 2  

Catyren Catyren WA Posts: 542
1 9 Jan 2012
So I'm moving house at the moment and the new place is great except for one thing... there are spiders EVERYWHERE. Spiders freak me out quite a bit but I do refrain from killing them, I'll usually catch them and put them outside. But, I'm not sure that is going to be an option in the new place because there are so many of them, and it's not just daddy long legs there are wolf spiders and huntsmans and red backs and several other large species that I'm unfamiliar with too. I would very much like to avoid using bug spray and killing them so does anyone know of anything I can do or natural spider repellents that I can use to at least keep them outside the house if not my yard. Note that I have used a cobweb broom extensively but it's a waste of time because there are new webs up the next day.
ReplyQuote

Vegan-Lisa Vegan-Lisa SA Posts: 164
2 9 Jan 2012
Hi there! Ohhh that sucks!!! Vegan online shop (www.veganonline.com) I think that's it, have a 'humane big catcher' $20 ish and we love ours!! Safe too! Xoxo
ReplyQuote

Vegan-Lisa Vegan-Lisa SA Posts: 164
3 9 Jan 2012
Sorry that was meant to say BUG catcher not big! Lol
ReplyQuote

4 9 Jan 2012
catching them isn't really an issue, i'm more looking at ways to lower the numbers of resident spiders (it's practically an infestation, though i've noticed this year there have been more spiders around the neighbourhood in general). I've been looking into attracting birds into my yard and other spider predators but i'm not sure whether they'll work.
ReplyQuote

Beemo Beemo United States Posts: 1259
5 9 Jan 2012
Is your house sealed properly? Make sure there are no holes in fly screen, large gaps under doors etc.
I have a lot of spiders outside on the verandah and in the yard at my house, but none inside except for the odd daddy long legs.

Also try and keep your house, and the area around your house as clean and clear as possible.
Make sure there are no bushy trees or plants too close to your house or any other sort of clutter - spiders love to live in these sort of places. They also love dark and damp areas.

This seems like a good article: http://spiderrepellents.net/make-your-home-spider-unfriendly
ReplyQuote

6 9 Jan 2012
Well the place is pretty clean it's just been painted and it's been empty for the last year. The house has a veranda that runs around three walls and there are spiders all over it. It's all solid doors, no gaps in the walls, though there is no cover on the man-hole as of yet so that's probably how they're getting in at the moment. The yard is absolutely bare at the moment, it's only weeds and sand. If it were just daddy long legs i wouldn't be so worried, but the redbacks, huntsmans and wolf spiders aren't welcome.
ReplyQuote

7 9 Jan 2012
Ahk, yeah I understand it's worrying having those types of potentially dangerous spiders around the house. Especially if you have pets or children.

Maybe try and get a man hole cover and see if that fixes your problem, you would be suprsied how just one gap can equal many spiders in your house!
A few years ago something hit against the window and put a hole in the fly screen at my boyfriends house. We asked my his dad to fix it but he said nothing would get through that size hole. Lo and behold a few nights later a spider laid eggs near the window outside and hundreds of spider babies came into our room through that hole. It was not a nice experience haha.
ReplyQuote

8 9 Jan 2012
yeah i'm hoping that when that's covered it will stop the bulk of them, there are a few gaps around the doors but there's not much i can do about that. The redback i evicted had an egg sack, luckily i got to them before they hatched! that article was pretty good, mostly common sense though. might end up buying one of the bug catchers that they advertise though
ReplyQuote

9 10 Jan 2012
Eek lucky you got them out in time!

Yeah there aren't too many articles around that provide alternative methods for removing spiders. Most of them just say "kill them with big spray".

According to this article orange and peppermint oil is supposed to repel spiders:
http://spiderrepellents.net/make-your-own-natural-repellent

I'm not sure how much evidence there is behind it, but there's no harm in trying.
ReplyQuote

Miss. Jones Miss. Jones VIC Posts: 242
10 10 Jan 2012
I also began my journey on refraining to murder these poor buggers, i remember when i used to kill one, i would always feel like someone was walking on my grave.  Now when i don't kill one, its almost like i get another year added to my life, its kind of spooky.
Many of the great gurus don't encourage killing with intent either, mine (Maharishi Mahesh Yogi) says that if somethink is upsetting your nervous system  (like an over infestation of spiders) then its okay. For instance if a bear was attacking you in the woods, would you lie there and take it? Or would you defend yourself.  Spiders can be nasty little critters because some are dangerous to you and even in nature, animals defend themselves or protect their domains. So I certainly do use the 6-month indoor but spray to protect my environment & myself but they still appear and when they do i catch them and pop them outside gently. I don't know if that helps any.  Your compassion lives on but you must also look after yourself too, no point in having a vegan who is trying to help the planet in hospital or dead right.
ReplyQuote

< Prev
 [ 1 ]  [ 2 ] 

www.unleashed.org.au