Animals Australia Unleashed
Change the World Who Cares? Videos Take Action! The Animals Community Forum Shop Blog Display
1 2 3
Your E-Mail: O Password:
Login Help     |     Join for Free!     |     Hide This

Post a Reply

Becoming Vegan

1 - 10 of 11 posts   1 | 2  

Emily Louise Emily Louise QLD Posts: 9
1 21 Jan 2012
Hi Guys,
I've been a strict vegetarian for almost 6 years now and am looking to become a Vegan but I'm having a lot of trouble knowing what i can and can't eat.! Is there any kind of guide to help me.?
Thanks, Emily
ReplyQuote

lividlotus lividlotus NSW Posts: 301
2 21 Jan 2012
HEAPS of guides!
[http://www.veganpeace.com/ingredients/ingredients.htm]
A list of ingredients of what is, sometimes is and what isn't vegan.

[http://vidacompassion.org/main/list/company.html]
Companies that do animal testing, so if you're looking into any brands at all, keep these in mind!

[http://whyveg.com/recipes/list.php]
Recipes for veg*n dishes happy

I'm sure the rest of the members here know a few more than what I've posted so far, but also make sure to check out previous threads by using the search link near the bread-crumb links at the top telling you you're at community > forum good luck and well done on making the switch!
ReplyQuote

VeganEra VeganEra QLD Posts: 202
3 22 Jan 2012
Hey Emily Louise -
OH a big congratulations for looking to make the switch to a Vegan diet....YAY! All the beautiful dairy cows and little chickies will love you so much for it!!

We have a heap of free resources you are most welcome to download - there are cookbooks and all sorts of cool stuff.
http://www.veganera.com/Resources.htm

Enjoy! dance
ReplyQuote

Tessamoo Tessamoo NSW Posts: 24
4 22 Jan 2012
YOU CAN DO IT!!!!

The best guide is just to read the packages of everything you buy and if you are out, ask the chef if there is eggs or diary or fish or shrimp sauce or paste in the specific dish you want. The more you ask the more demand there will be for vegan options. You will be surprised at how much you can eat!!!

Veganism is amazing you never have to feel guilty about hurting diary cows or their calves or consuming all sorts of animal parts in gelatin!

Just remember all products are different so some mustards might have eggs in them and others might not, same with pasta sauces etc so just read all your labels!!!

GOOD LUCK!
ReplyQuote

KirstyGirl KirstyGirl TAS Posts: 754
5 23 Jan 2012
Hey good on you for making the switch! You'll be super glad you did believe me! I have a website www.VeganTasmania.com and under the ingredients tab I have made up a list of animal derived ingredients that you can easily look up any time you've got a packet in front of you! Hope you check it out and find it helpful!
ReplyQuote

6 29 Mar 2012
Thanks so much guys.! That's really helped alot.!
I'm still getting a little confused when buying things where animal products are listed under different names but I'm slowly getting better.!
Thanks for the support love
ReplyQuote

Rowan011 Rowan011 WA Posts: 92
7 29 Mar 2012
Emily Louise said:
Hi Guys,
I've been a strict vegetarian for almost 6 years now and am looking to become a Vegan but I'm having a lot of trouble knowing what i can and can't eat.! Is there any kind of guide to help me.?
Thanks, Emily
You are probably already aware. But stay away from Gelatine (unless specified vegetable), check the ingredients often. I am pretty much Vegan (90%), and was about to bite into some gingerbread biscuits but decided to check the ingredients (not sure why but did) and to my amazement saw "Pork Gelatine" as an ingredient.
ReplyQuote

8 31 Mar 2012
IS NOW OFFICIALLY A PROUD, HAPPY VEGAN.!!!! ecstatic ecstatic ecstatic ecstatic
ReplyQuote

9 31 Mar 2012
Yeah the same kind of thing happened to me.! I'd been eating coles chocolate cake for the whole six years i've been a vegetarian and while considering becoming a vegan i started to check the ingredients of everything i ate to get an idea of what i would and wouldn't be able to eat once i made the switch and realised that that cake had beef gelatine in it.!! I felt disgusted.. i never even thought to check cake for gelatine.!!
ReplyQuote

Kirrilly Kirrilly VIC Posts: 2092
10 31 Mar 2012
Emily Louise said:
IS NOW OFFICIALLY A PROUD, HAPPY VEGAN.!!!! ecstatic ecstatic ecstatic ecstatic
Woohoo! Good on you!  beaverhug
ReplyQuote

< Prev
 [ 1 ]  [ 2 ] 

www.unleashed.org.au