Animals Australia Unleashed
Change the World Who Cares? Videos Take Action! The Animals Community Forum Shop Blog Display
1 2 3
Your E-Mail: O Password:
Login Help     |     Join for Free!     |     Hide This

Post a Reply

Thailand

Vegan heaven!

1 - 10 of 10 posts

Val Val NSW Posts: 339
1 25 Jan 2012
I thought I'd post up a forum since I am in Thailand, and before leaving for Thailand I had reserached Thailand and veganism, reading that being a vegan in Thailand is hard and some silly things like you shouldn't eat out, it's impossible and just too difficult.

Well, it's actually AMAZING for vegan food. I've seen it for myself and have been here almost two months and have had no problem with vegan food. Especially since I arrived in Chiang Mai, it is vegan paradise! I've even had street food, and food in the most non-vegan places and its all worked out perfectly. I also visited some non-touristy spots, and got food fine.

I just thought I'd let everyone know since I don't think many vegans realise how good and easy it actually is. If you go to some areas where they don't speak much english (and pretty much everywhere I've been has worked out with english speaking thais) some very easy basic thai will get you through.

So if anyone visits thailand in the future, not to worry, it is easy peasy! happy

Anthony Anthony WA Posts: 216
2 31 May 2012
Agreed. Chiang Mai had so many veg*n places to eat at it was ridiculous. The only problem is that you get back to Australia and the Thai food just isn't the same as how good it was there. Spoiled forever  cry
ReplyQuote

4 5 Jun 2012
Elephant Nature Park out of Chiang Mai. Head to their website where you can sign up to volunteer for extended periods (there's a couple of different projects they run). You pay a bit, and get accommodation, all meals (95% vegan), and do work around the park which is a sanctuary for rescued elephants, dogs, a couple of horses...

http://www.elephantnaturepark.org/index.htm
ReplyQuote

ezql ezql WA Posts: 54
5 6 Jun 2012
Anthony said:
Elephant Nature Park out of Chiang Mai. Head to their website where you can sign up to volunteer for extended periods (there's a couple of different projects they run). You pay a bit, and get accommodation, all meals (95% vegan), and do work around the park which is a sanctuary for rescued elephants, dogs, a couple of horses...

http://www.elephantnaturepark.org/index.htm
Sounds pretty gay.
ReplyQuote

7 13 Jun 2012
Leigh-Chantelle said:
have you stayed there, Anthony?
Yep - was there at the start of this year. Good, basic accommodation; great food served buffet style and you eat with other volunteers.

A typical day: breakfast, morning jobs (preparing fruit for ellies; picking up ellie poop etc.); wash (or just watch) elephants in the river; lunch; afternoon jobs (we were laying concrete); free time (tubing on the river, playing with dogs, hanging out with other vollies; playing soccer with the mahouts); dinner; organised activity (dvd, Thai culture and language lesson, presentation). We also helped out at a local school, emptied mudpits, had a bonfire night blah blah blah! I could rave about it non-stop.

The staff are awesome; there's free wifi to stay in touch with home; Thai massages on site if you enjoy extreme pain; and you're surrounded by elephants, dogs and likeminded people. The handlers use positive reinforcement with the elephants. There's no riding them or anything. They're not forced to perform, they just do their own thing during the day. I think(!) it's the most ethical way to see elephants in Thailand.

As you can tell ... I'd highly recommend it!!
ReplyQuote

Miss D Miss D SA Posts: 17
8 22 Jun 2012
I'm heading there in November, so happy to know this! ecstatic thanks for sharing!
ReplyQuote

Casper.s2 Casper.s2 SA Posts: 1640
9 22 Jun 2012
do they put 'all of non-animal or synthetic origins' on their packet foods like in malaysia?
ReplyQuote

Vegan-Lisa Vegan-Lisa SA Posts: 164
10 22 Jun 2012
Leigh-Chantelle said:
have you stayed there, Anthony?
Hey Leigh-chantelle, just curious how to register as a member on ur vivalavegan page? I tried two different emails and it won't let me coz it says they are listed in spam something blah blah...???

Sorry everyone to change the subject...
Xo
ReplyQuote

www.unleashed.org.au