Animals Australia Unleashed
Change the World Who Cares? Videos Take Action! The Animals Community Forum Shop Blog Display
1 2 3
Your E-Mail: O Password:
Login Help     |     Join for Free!     |     Hide This

Post a Reply

Hunting as a "sport"

Desperately need thoughts and opinions!!

1 - 10 of 50 posts   1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5  

Jaimie1 Jaimie1 NSW Posts: 20
1 9 Feb 2012
I come from a town where there are a lot of people who go hunting for "fun".
They breed savage dogs to do the dirty work for them as they sit back on their utes and spectate the brutal murdering of animals such as wild pigs, goats, sheep, kangaroos etc etc. They take knives and jump in if it's safe enough and add to the violent torture of these animals. They post photos, videos etc on facebook for others to see and praise them on their good hunting skills. Some even drive their utes into town with the lifeless bodies hanging from the back for others to see what they've done.
There was an aritcle in the paper recently where they interviewed one of these so called "hunters". He was simple to say the least. He just spoke about how it's a family fun day to go out and hunt with his family... how he kills the animals... he seemed extremely proud of himself.  
I'd like to write my own letter to the paper and i want to make sure i bring up every necessary point in relation to this disgusting blood sport.

I'd really appreciate your thoughts on this, this would be the first time anyone has done this in my paper so i want to get it right!
ReplyQuote

Caity13 Caity13 QLD Posts: 1
2 9 Feb 2012
I like the saying: When man kills an animal it is a sport. When animal kills man it is murder and all the animals fault
ReplyQuote

Buddha Baby Buddha Baby QLD Posts: 28
3 10 Feb 2012
I find hunting as a sport disgusting. Not only is it cruel to the animal being hunted and killed but its also cruel to the dog being "trained" to be a killer.  We have a Bull Arab as part of our family, an Australian dog breed used in pig hunting. He is the sweetest, softest, most gentle dog I have ever owned. I couldn't bear the thought of him chasing some poor pig and fighting it till death. When the dogs get injured they are often killed.

I really don't understand how any of this could be fun?
ReplyQuote

Deespark Deespark QLD Posts: 328
4 10 Feb 2012
I think hunting with dogs is the worse, the dog can get hurt to, and it makes the death of the animal longer and more painful.

None of my friends hunt with dogs (uh, yeah. I am not very picky about my friends at all.). As far as I know they just shoot the animals, though sometimes they trap dingoes. Not sure what kind of trap it is though, and either way the dingoe would still have to stay there for hours until finally getting shot, so the hunter can get their $100 from the council.
Of course I dont agree with it, I have no idea how somebody can find it fun.

Hunting is not a sport, in a sport, both sides know that they're in a game. Or something like that haha, thats just a quote I sort of remember, but I like it.
ReplyQuote

Jaimie1 Jaimie1 NSW Posts: 20
5 10 Feb 2012
Thats exactly what I believe. But also, how can a dog that's been trained to be so savage be safe in society? That animal could go on to kill a small child who might of pulled his tail or the next door neighbours rabbit. They have been trained to KILL what if they make a mistake and kill the wrong thing?
I will never condone the killing of any animal... But it won't ever stop... so if these so called "pests" must be killed then it shouldn't be made into a blood sport and it should be kept quiet and not celebrated.. for goodness sake! What are we? Vultures!
ReplyQuote

Shooter Shooter VIC Posts: 117
6 22 Feb 2012
thought I'd way in, seeing as  I am a hunter. While I personally do not hunt with dogs, I do believe people have the right do it.

I hunt soley with a rifle, deer, foxes and rabbits. I find getting into the bush, walking quitly through the bush, taking everything in. Then seeing a deer, being able to put the cross hairs on it squeeze the trigger is fun. As an added bonus I get a  lot of meat, and, if I got the effort as but of animal fur. Just good fun.
ReplyQuote

Deespark Deespark QLD Posts: 328
7 22 Feb 2012
Shooter said:
thought I'd way in, seeing as  I am a hunter. While I personally do not hunt with dogs, I do believe people have the right do it.

I hunt soley with a rifle, deer, foxes and rabbits. I find getting into the bush, walking quitly through the bush, taking everything in. Then seeing a deer, being able to put the cross hairs on it squeeze the trigger is fun. As an added bonus I get a  lot of meat, and, if I got the effort as but of animal fur. Just good fun.
I have never gotten how killing something can be fun, but I will just stay away from that...

What I am curious about, is there any laws as to how many deer etc you can kill at any one time? or can people just kill as many as they can find if they felt inclined?
ReplyQuote

Shooter Shooter VIC Posts: 117
8 22 Feb 2012
Well, I can't tell you about all state and all deer. cause I'm just a Victorian, sambar hunter. Once you have a permit, you can legally shoot as many deer as you like as they are introduced species. However, this shoot all you like rule is regulated. You can not shoot them under a spotlight. As, almost have no read of you, and thus you can shoot one after the other.

On a days stalking, your will be lucky to see one deer, and even luckyer (is that a word haha) to shoot one. So the chances of shooting more than one deer in one outing is unlikly but possible. If I were to see two deer in one day, I would shoot both as I would be able to store all the meat, and thus not waste any. If the freezer was full, and I went out I'd just take the camera, no need to shoot them if I don't need meat.
ReplyQuote

Casper.s2 Casper.s2 SA Posts: 1640
9 22 Feb 2012
I wonder why it is rare to see a deer in the woods.

Also, no comment.
ReplyQuote

OinkMoo OinkMoo NSW Posts: 1340
10 23 Feb 2012
"Hunting is not a sport. In a sport, both sides should know they're in the game"

Hunting destroys one's life for anothers own cruel entertainment, there is no need for this type of sick "fun" in this modern age.
ReplyQuote

< Prev
 [ 1 ]  [ 2 ]  [ 3 ]  [ 4 ]  [ 5 ] 

www.unleashed.org.au